Some teachers at this school are abusive and the principal does not care. I know for a fact they are under investigation but the DOE considers corporeal punishment a private human resources matter so even if charges are found to be substantiated there is no public record of this.
I absolutely love everything about the Center School. My daughter just graduated June 2011 and my son is currently an 8th grader. If they could continue their high school years at Center School, they would. Students enjoy being there every day. Teachers are amazingly helpful, involved and well appreciated. Ms. Schwartz, Director of Center School is also amazing. She knows each student by their first name and it s not because they re in trouble, it s because she is in tuned to each child s academic performance. Parents are totally involved. I have not met one single parent that had or has anything negative to say about the Center School. If you were to ask any parent what would they change about Center School, they would probably say nothing or would really need to think about the question. Outstanding school!
I am a former student of the Center School and I plan on sending my daughter there when she's in the 5th grade. Out of all of my school years the Center School left the biggest impression on me. It's not one of those big schools where you get lost in the shuffle and your teacher doesn't know your name. It's a community... it's a family. I recently saw one of the teachers on the train, she's still teaching at the school and she remembered me (10+ years since I graduated). In fact half of the teachers that were their when I was attending are still there. If that doesn't tell you a little something about the teacheers there I don't kow what does.
Every day I'm thankful that my children (7th grader and 5th grader) are at the Center School. They continue to receive a steller education and exposure to things that rival many of the elite private schools. I'm convinced that any child who is willing to be challenged will come through their program a shining star!
We have sent all three of our children to Center School and they have received an outstanding education from a faculty that is creative and attends to the most important aspects of education, engagement and competence. All three of our children have been prepared and made it into the specialized high schools both science and the La Guardia. This small community really offers a private school education in a public school. The kids and adults make it a wonderfully loving community. You're lucky if you get the chance for your child to attend.
I am currently an eigth grader at the Center School and there is no doubt in my mind that this school should go first on your list. This school has the absolute best principal in the city and a funloving facilty. The principal knows the names of every student in the school, likewise, the students know all of their classmates. The curriculum is incredibly unique. I am currently taking an accelerated literature class where we are, at the moment, reading Henry James AND taking a class about allegories incorporated in superhero movies, where I watched 'Iron Man.' I have to admit, I'd say 5% of the student body does not love the school, but the other 95% adore it. The Center School prepared me very well and I am applying to the upmost presigious high schools in the city like Stuyvesant High. Dumb, smart, everyone has a friend and does well.