/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted November 07, 2014
My son is a sophomore in the drama studio. Challenging academics (there is no easy "A" here) balanced with a great arts program. He (and I) couldn't be happier.

Frank Sinatra School Of The Arts High School 4

Posted November 06, 2014
I have a freshman drama major, and so far, so good. The students are very artsy and friendly and supportive of each other. No HS will be free of friend "drama". The academics are good; there are no honors classes (but a few AP options) but this is NOT an academically focused school. Grades are not handed out; they have to work for them from what I can see. Some of the classes give out very creative assignments, taking advantage of the kids' talents. I have met all of her teachers, so far I don't see any major issues. PupilPath is great; you can see grades and missing assignments. The Parent Coordinator provides TONS of information on a daily basis. Regarding the drama program, it is intense, disciplined, and not just about 'putting on plays'. They do a lot of prep work in freshman year that some may feel has nothing to do with theatre. Also, not everyone gets 90's (there is a play writing course in Freshman year too, not an easy A either). It may not be for everyone; if your child just wants to be in school plays, they can do that in a regular HS. So far my child loves it, and appreciates the work that needs to be done before they feel you are ready to perform.

Posted November 03, 2014
My son is a freshman in the fine art program. Making new friends. So far everything is great! Pupil Path is working well and the teachers are easy to get in touch with for the most part. He is enjoying the art studio. Academics appear to be o.k. Living Environment teacher is excellent. No bullying, building spotless! I've been there during a change of classes. Children well behaved. My son is extremely happy! La Guardia actually accepted children last year who did not pass their studio auditions and chose students for academics. Tisk tisk to them. The schools are supposed to be for the talented. This did not happen here and the academics have been appropriate and challenging as well as creative. Great choice if you want smaller enrollment and more coordination between teachers and students. Children also at museums and performances in the community to enhance the arts part of their education. Taking advantage of what NYC has to offer. Great school! if your child has a great talent and has decent grades and is a hard worker this is the place for them

Posted October 30, 2014
My daughter is a senior this year and she hasn't seen any bullying in the school except for one incident which she herself had intervened and stopped it. She has a 4.0 grade average and loves this school. I myself hadn't had any issues with administration. When ever I needed something I got in touch with the Parent coordinator and she always helped me reach who I needed. The principal does seem to be MIA most of the time but from my understanding she is soliciting contributors for the school. My daughter has experienced seeing Paul McCartney, Billy Joel, Tony Bennett and Lada Gaga perform. As for her teachers there may have been one that seemed not to care but you are going to get that any school and sometimes even worse. The film teacher Mr. Lopez has opened up many opportunities for his kids. My daughter was able to participate at the Tribeca Film Festival, she will be interning for an doctor editing film surgery. So yes Overall I feel that this is a great school.

Posted October 29, 2014
My child is a freshman in the drama department. Yes, it is only month two of the school year, but overall we are exceedingly happy. My child has made several new friends and is academically challenged. There is good communication between the teachers and the parents. I received an unsolicited phone call from the math teacher regarding progress. The parent body get daily emails from the parent coordinator and I feel like I have a handle on what is going on at school. Pupil path is also a great tool that the school uses. Very happy so far.

Posted October 02, 2014
This school is a great experience for my daughter. Go Mr. Sandri , my daughter loved loved loved him. She thought he was an excellent teacher, and enjoyed going to his classes! The building is beautiful and they have a great music program

Frank Sinatra School Of The Arts High School 1

Posted September 11, 2014
Yes this is only the first week of school and your child is a sophomore but my child was there until his junior year and then he left. He was bullied by others who competed with him. Teachers there don't teach. They shove the kids with loads of attachments on pupilpath and lots of reading and they expect kids to teach themselves. Pupilpath is never updated, teachers lose HW , and they look down on the arts. As far as the principal is concerned, she's a total deadbeat. There were times that she did't even attend concerts and when she did, she never once appeared on stage to thank the hard work that the kids and the teachers did. I called many times to address some issues of bullying and no one ever did anything about it. I wrote to the principal, no call, no apology, no nothing. This school building is beautiful but there is definite dark side on the part of the administration. All I know is if your kid goes there, look out for signs of anxiety and depression. Unless this administration is thrown out, this school will drive a lot of good and talented kids crazy!
3 people found this helpful

Posted September 10, 2014
A wonderful school for any student who is fortunate enough to attend. Our child is a sophomore in this school and our experience has been nothing short of fantastic. From the talented students to the teachers and to the highly supportive administration-this school is a well oiled and highly organized machine that runs on the love and support of everyone. I am a picky parent and I will say that we are very satisfied with the education that our child is receiving and will feel a sense of loss when she graduates this school. What a great school this is, do not pass up the opportunity to attend this school, you won't be sorry. By the way, this is only the 5th full day of classes, not every administrator is available to students and parents as scheduling is being tweaked (went through this last Freshman year with our own child-smooth sailing now as a sophomore) this week. Pick up the phone and call the school if you are experiencing any issues, someone will get back to you.

Frank Sinatra School Of The Arts High School 2

Posted September 09, 2014
Unfortunately my experience as a student at Sinatra isn't as great as I expected it to be. Of course the talented student body is diverse, welcoming, and hardworking and the teachers for the most part are well qualified and engaging however Sinatra's biggest let down is their entire administrative staff. The school's principal is nothing more then a figure head who is never seen without her iPhone, much of the administrators have little to no gratitude for the arts, and most of the administrators are lazy, trying to do as little work as they possibly can and striving for mediocrity. It's very unfortunate that throughout my time in Sinatra I have found myself complaining about the dis functionality of the school and the carelessness that the administration works with, at least once a month. I wish I could give the school a better rating, as high school should be a time fondly remembered, but my fond memories with friends and teachers are clouded by all the unfond memories of the administration.

Frank Sinatra School Of The Arts High School 1

Posted September 09, 2014
One MAJOR fault: lazy, careless administration who cares less about the students but more about how terribly difficult the kids make their lives. I'm very sorry that the students make you do your job, a job that regardless is usually left undone or comes out to be nothing more then mediocre. Steer clear steer clear steer clear.

Frank Sinatra School Of The Arts High School
35-12 35th Avenue, New York, NY  11106
Last modified Frank Sinatra School Of The Arts High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Frank Sinatra School Of The Arts High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 55 reviews. Top