Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Ps 180 Hugo Newman 4

Posted June 17, 2016
Our son attends dual language Kindergarten and we are very happy with the instruction in the classroom and overall community. PS 180 is a great school that is working hard to continually improve its academic standing, programs and family engagement. The school set out clear goals this year to improve NYS test scores, increase parent survey participation by 10%, improve school culture by improving safety at recess, improve instruction in mathematics, and move towards a progressive teaching model in all classrooms. While test scores are not yet available, the rest of the goals have been met, or are on track for the year. PS 180 offers an affordable afterschool program for grades K-2 through roads to success, as well as afterschool options for the upper grades. The PTA sends weekly updates to the parent body and teachers use online software through to communicate to parents. I have found our teacher to be very accessible and responsive to any questions or concerns that we have about our son. A recent parent/principal brunch with Ms Lana Fleming brought a sense of community to those who attended, and provided valuable information on the accomplishments and next steps for the school. The school has only three classes per grade for K-5 and classroom size is smaller than typical New York City classes, at 20 children per class. No school is perfect, and certainly the experience that each family will have is dependent on their level of involvement with the school and the specific teachers interacting with their children. Despite having exposure to the teachers for only one year, from what I have seen there is a deep level of commitment to educating children in the school on the part of most teachers as well as improving access to resources for all of the students in the school on the part of the administration.

Posted April 02, 2014
It is amazing how when parents get involve, schools can turn around. Let me tell you the truth. P.S 180 is a great school, as a parent I get involved in my daughter s life and education along with activity and that goes with the school. I am present or my wife is present at all school trips; book fair; PTA meeting etc. We have smart board in all classes room including Pre-K. The school is bilingual (English- Spanish). Ms. Fleming is the new principal and the vision of the school still remains the same. We have lab and arts in the school. We have dedicated, loving and experience teachers. Ms. Peguero, my daughter teacher, is amazing. My daughter is In Kindergarten and she is teaching me Spanish, She can pick up a book and read me in Spanish. MS. Mason in the office is the backbone of the school. Ms. Wilson is without saying the best PTA coordinator in town. Mr. Maximo the super intent is without saying the best in town because he ensures that we have a safe and clean environment in the school. The guards are without saying great when it comes to keeps all the kids safe in the school.

Posted October 04, 2013
My school is the best school in town or may I say in the City of New York I love PS IS 180.

Posted April 08, 2013
The teachers at this school are excellent. It's a wonderful community of kids, families, school staff, and teachers working together. We have been so happy to part of this dynamic school. They really get to know each child and family and we have felt very connected and welcome. The teachers work hard, they have a well rounded curriculum, and it's a beautifully cared for and clean physical plant.

Posted March 18, 2013
This school is completely horrible. The students are very ignorant and not understanding, many people get into fights, and there has been gang activity near or even at this school.

Ps 180 Hugo Newman 4

Posted February 04, 2013
P.S. 180 has come a long way of making sure the students are being promoted because of the hard work that they earned as oppose to being socially promoted. I remember how poorly the school was run before Dr. Mac joined the staff. He along with the team of assistant principals are doing a great job. He and his ideals were exactly what this school needed. I think the parent coordinator as well as the teachers do an excellent job. They can't do the job alone. Working in partnership with this staff to get our children the education they need and deserve is a struggle. A very rewarding struggle. A struggle that will end in accomplishment. It is not an easy job, yet they do it. The schools mission is that all P.S. 180 students go to college. This school provides many resources to accomplish this goal. I see the growth in both my children and I know it has been because of what me and my husband has instilled as well as, the help of a lot of great teachers in this school. Thank you to the staff at P.S. 180.

Posted February 03, 2012
We must be going to different schools! Our experience could not be more different! We have 2 children at PS180, and they are both thriving. Our 2nd grader has had very good teachers throughout. She id doing very well academically, but could not do so without the help of her teachers, who have been great matches in every grade. Dr. Mac is a dedicated principal, who is trying to steer our school through some very difficult times, but he deeply cares about the student body. I have never heard of the students wearing t-shirts to field trips, so I don't know how that was observed, but I can say that throughout, the student body is taught respect and behavioral issues are addressed quickly. All principals (Dr. Mac and the assistant principals) know the kids and are involved. We could use more parents who show up, but many of us dedicate numerous hours each week to the school.

Posted February 01, 2012
I took my chances with this school because I was hoodwinked by people saying how this was "one of the best schools". This is my child's second year at this school, and I would rather home school my son before he does another year there. The chances of getting an OUTSTANDING teacher is the same as looking for a needle in a haystack. Dismissal is a zoo. The principal is very disconnected and cares more about his flat screen TVs and making sure his face and voice is heard in the morning. Don't expect this school to know you and your family. Character Development is unheard of here along with the teaching of values. THIS SCHOOL IS A JOKE ---A WASTE OF SPACE!! Notices go out at the very last minute regarding school events/activities. PTA meetings are held on Saturday mornings, so if your child has extra curricular activities to attend to, be prepared to be disconnected. If your child has a bad day, be prepared to pick them up as the school will call you because they have no idea about what to do. This school doesn't even deserve a star, but it made me put one. UGH! If you would like to play Russian Roulette with your child's education...this school's for you!!!

Posted July 18, 2011
I was at a local park last year with my infant son, and saw a large group of kids all over the park. There seemed to be no structured activity whatsoever, and hardly any adults. There were clusters of kids all over the park , most with absolutely no supervision--including one disturbing scene of several young tween-age looking girls surrounding a 20 something grown man--and almost none of the kids had anything to play with except a basketball that was actually thrown at my STROLLER--with my baby in it. Not only were there no adults around to admonish, but the children did not even apologize. I had to know what kind of poorly run program this was so I finally caught an up-close look at the t-shirts they were all wearing: P.S. 180 Field Day. I know it was just a field day, but I can tell you that when I was growing up, Field Day was a structured activity with all hands on deck from the staff. This was just kids running amok in a park.

Posted January 19, 2011
P.S. 180 is not a very good school. It just depends on if your child gets a good teacher. The principle is not good at all. He does not take responsibility for anything that goes on in the school. The school based support team is a joke. Do not seem to have enough time in the day to take care of anything because of their individual outside interest. The parent coordinator is a person who gossips all day about nothing and spends more time in the street than in the school or her office. Some of the teachers are really good and really care, but because the attitude of the princple and some faculty The school is a 1. The students that are in the school are bright young students, but they surely did not get that way through the school. They should revamp this school starting with the principle, school based support team and the parent coordinator. They should stop taking credit for the excellence of their students who are getting the jist of their education from home. They also do nothing about discipline. If you have a child in the school, you are forced to do what you have to do to make sure that they are getting a good quality education.

Ps 180 Hugo Newman
370 West 120th Street, New York, NY  10027
Last modified Ps 180 Hugo Newman is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.