Queens, NY
Students enrolled: 2,516

Posted April 17, 2014
I really like this school as a student, I am currently enrolled at Newtown High School. I have heard many people say it's a bad school, however its not so bad. The teachers at Newtown teach the same way as a teacher at someother school. I am doing great academically at this school and this school offers extra classes such as saturday academy or after schools to help prepare students for regents.

Newtown High School 3

Posted April 17, 2014
I attended this school in 2013 and had so much fun. The school deserves to get this money.

Posted April 03, 2012
This School is a really great school. I enjoyed my time here and in fact i have grew to be a very responsible person because of this school pushing me in the right direction! The teachers were excellent!

Newtown High School 4

Posted November 24, 2011
In perspective, the school had over 5000 students in the '90's N now it has less than 3000==> it's not so crowded. However, when there are so many people in a 1 block radius there are incidents N yet there are plenty of days with no incidents. The majority of the students have English as a second language and it takes at least 3 years to reach academic proficiency in a language. It slows graduation rate because students must pass English Regents. Dedicated students who are interested in getting education do very well here. A major problem for school reputation is lack of values. Lack of parental supervision given that many parents work all hours and some only come home one /two nights a week is a major contributor to the students below average performance. Part of the problem is that under Mr.Bloomberg's regime, one size must fit all N the school does not offer classes that would appeal to those with no academic interests. Gangs exists in the city N in the school the gangs have not taken over though surely there are gang members who attend. I have worked there for 20 years and have seen how quality of the students has diminished. DOE assigns us mostly below average students.

Posted April 21, 2010
This school might have been great once upon a time, but, that is no longer the case. Sad to say, the school is crowded and a vast majority of the students are ruthless. They disrespect the teachers which makes it difficult to grasp what is being taught or said by the teachers. It can be a little overwhelming at times. If I could go back in time and re-do my high school application, I would definitely omit NHS. It needs a complete makeover consisting of new students, new teachers, new administration with the exception of maybe one hand full of people I can think of that can stay and make a difference, and new principal, definitely!!!!

Posted April 05, 2010

Posted March 05, 2010
I completely agree!!!! So sad when you have a school that has wonderful programs put in place so that a child can excel and yet, there is no appreciation. Simply put, some children need to get their priorities straight and I believe tht is the problem. I have visited the school many times and am saddened by what I see and what I hear and some of the staff just doesnt care or perhaps are burned out. My child who was an honors student fell victim to the lack of organization and was placed in a freshman class with kids that were rude, uncaring, haughty, to describe a few, and best one of all - not an honors class. Needless to say, I am working towards a transfer. This the worse decision we made - to apply for

Posted March 04, 2010
this school is bad people fight there are drugs and some kids dont want to learn. many kids just are rude and disrespectfull towards everyone i wouldnt recommend it. besides it would be great if they closed this school down to prevent dangerouse people from being around normal kids.

Newtown High School 3

Posted October 27, 2009
Im a sophmore at Newtown and it happens to be a pretty decent school despite what others have to say about it . There is almost no violence at this school and it is a pretty safe learning enviornment . There is probably some gang affiliation but i have yet to see this . This is new york city in almost every high school there are gang affiliated students.

Posted October 13, 2009

Newtown High School
48-01 90th Street, Queens, NY  11373
Last modified Newtown High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Newtown High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top