Queens, NY

Ps 88 Seneca 2

Posted September 21, 2013
My twin sister and I graduated the year of 2009. During that time, I was a shy kid who enjoyed getting grades. I was a victim of getting screamed out by the people in charge when they got in a bad temperament. I remember one teacher who had saliva spewing out of his mouth, yelling to me about something that happened in class a week ago. I think that not everyone can be teachers. Yes you can get a diploma from any college but if you don't have the patience to teach kids. Please do us a favor and don't teach. I think there should be an inspector in each class to watch over the teachers antics. Even if the students are behaving in the " wrong way" they are 10 year olds or even younger who needs a calm way of discipline.

Ps 88 Seneca 5

Posted January 06, 2013
I am a fifth grader in p.s88 it is a great school i will graduate this year. this the best school ever.the teachers are great. even though we have no recess its better because we don't wast time like other school they have Greater Ridgewood and other programs like the recreatinal program chorus, newspaper and lawclub. Bulling is not permited. the only thing is that the lunch stinks. I am sure that if you went there you will be succsesful.

Posted October 05, 2012
My son graduated from this school in 2011. This school is terrible, educational level is very low, my child didn't learn much. He went to very good middle school totally unprepared, he was way behind other kids and needed to catch up a lot. There is absolutely no communication between parents and teachers. I am glad that my son is done with this school and doesn't have to go back there :-)

Posted March 17, 2012
I have never heard of an elementary school that doesn't have recess. My son is only six and is expected to sit from 8 in the morning until two in the afternoon and they wonder why their test scores are bad. Studies..and common sense...show that young children need physical activity to help them learn and focus. I am heartbroken that this is my zoned school. My bright and creative child is starting to hate school.

Posted November 16, 2011
VERY DISAPPOINTED MY DAUGTHER IS IN SECOND GRADE SHE DOESNT HAVE A LOT HOMEWORK AND THE TEACHER DOESNT HAVE NOT PATIENCE WITH THE KIDS SINCE THE SCHOOL STARTED IM BEEN ASKING THE TEACHER HOW MY DAUGTHER IS DOING AND SHE SAID THE EVERYTHING IS OK BUT WHEN I CHECK THE REPORT CARD IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT IS LIKE SHE DONT CARE ABOUT THE KIDS VERY IM REALLY CONCERN

Ps 88 Seneca 5

Posted November 10, 2011
Love this school!!! The teachers are great and so are the principal and the vice principals.

Posted October 27, 2011
I am extremely disappointed with this school. First of all the kindergartens are allowed to walk to class by themselves. There is a very rude Security Guard that sits on a stool doing nothing but yelling at the kids and parents just because you are trying to make sure your child made it to class okay. The classes are often overcrowded and filled with teachers who have no real compassion to teach. There is one field trip a year, only one gym class if you're lucky a week and not much too often in the extracurricular activities. The kids just sit there hour after hour supposedly learning. My son is only 6 in the first grade and he Hates School!! Thanks to the unconcerned principal and teachers! Way too go PS 88.

Ps 88 Seneca 2

Posted October 26, 2011
I thought ps 88 was a pretty good school despite that over the years it seems to have declined a bit not what it used to be and there testing scores have gone down even notice that they are behind in class work compared to other schools in the area but the great teachers they had made up for it until my son needed special education services it has been a nightmare no one there is able to help or willing to work with you once your child has special needs teachers begin to quickly turn there back on kids that have education issues and the school would rather get your kid out to another school then take the time to set up the best educational plan for the child you need learn the laws and education process to be able to advocate for your child when it comes to dealing with ps 88 or they will pull a fast one on you

Posted September 12, 2011
First the kids are made to wait out in the yard for their teachers even in the winter. Something I did not do because I'm not making my kids wait half an hour outside in 20 degree weather for a teacher. Second the gym teachers act like they're running a boot camp, threatening to fail kids just because they might be unprepared a whole *3* times out of 200 days of the school year. Third, most of all the teachers are less than enthusiastic about their jobs. One teacher even told my child that he shouldn't bring his advanced study book with him because "he shouldn't know that yet". Only a very small handful know and like what they're doing, the rest unfortunately either cannot handle the kids or don't know enough about their respective subjects to teach them. Both my kids came to me telling me that they learn better with me, with NO training in teaching, than they do in school. However, the one incident that sealed the deal was when my kid was attacked, defended himself and the counselor had the audacity to imply that he was wrong to do so, that he should have gotten up and "talked" about it!

Ps 88 Seneca 3

Posted June 08, 2011
My daughter is in 2 grade. I used to be happy with her school, but lately I have a lot of concerns. Her class is huge 30 children, she get very little homework. They never go on any trips, the teacher keeps telling the kids that she is tierd. There is no airconditioner in the class, and with temepratures hitting 90+ the kids are miserable. You need to keep in touch with the teacher!!!! They will never call you. I have a tutor for my child becouse she is being neglected in the classroom. Too many children and a very tired teacher.

Ps 88 Seneca
60-85 Catalpa Avenue, Queens, NY  11385
Last modified Ps 88 Seneca is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 88 Seneca Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top