Ps 117 J Keld Briarwood School 2

Posted December 16, 2014
My children attended this school from k-3 grade. During their time there we experienced rude, violent and disrespectful children and teachers who could not handle them. You always felt like you were intruding when you came to visit. Never felt welcomed and the principal never smiled or even greeted parents when she saw them. Parents were never really kept in the loop as far as their child's progress was concerned.Don't even get me started on the office staff. The woman in charge of admin. Mrs. "H" has been there forever and seems very bothered by her job and the same goes for the secretary Mrs. "S". The teachers and the lunch ladies yelled at the kids. I was so happy when we relocated and left that God awful school. The assistant principal Mrs."I" is the best thing to ever happen tot hat school. She's the only person that really seemed to care.

Posted August 14, 2014
I agree with the last post the reception from the staff is cold. It doesn't seem as if the school cares about the poor ratings they receive because if they did then maybe the staff would try to do a better job in bring up the schools rating . It's Ashamed the staff don't seem to care about the child at the school. More parents need to get involved in how this school is effecting the area in which we leave due to its poor rating and us as parents need to file complaints with the district.
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 28, 2014
Many children in my family as well as many friends truly love PS 117 staff, education and atmosphere!!!

Posted March 14, 2014
This school is AWFUL!! I'm very sad and worried about my son's education. After talking to the principal and and my son's teacher about all my concerns, I was told that it is the not their fault but the NY governors.. SMH!! They just do not care. Homework is checked ones per week because according to the teacher she does not have enough time to do it every day.The school staff at the general office is very rude and unprofeccional as well. Thinking it was me being crazy, I asked some of the parents about their thoughts about this school and I was not surprise to find out most of them were very unhappy but did not know what to do. lastly, I would said that the principal need to take pride of what she does and work hard to improve PS 117. Being a school principal, I believe is a very hard job that requires someone with strong leadership skills, and a passion towards education. Because she does not have this skills, she should just let someone else take her position. This review is not about being hateful but to do something against the LACK of leadership, organization, professionalism and careless attitude towards education this school displays.
2 people found this helpful

Ps 117 J Keld Briarwood School 3

Posted September 18, 2013
The teachers are wonderful! The special education department is really great too! The OT and language therapists are great. One thing parents should know is that there is no afterschool programs, and the PTA really doesn't have it together due to the past PTA not having it together. There should be more parent involvment. The lack of afterschool programs is a real upset.

Posted August 26, 2013
Excellent school, wonderful ratings on their State Quality Review! I would love to have my child study at a school with this rating of success!

Posted November 14, 2012
PS117 used to be a good school but not anymore. It seems so disorganized, for ex: shool invited parents for open house to go in their child's class room & spend time. Parents were waiting outside & staff at front desk did not know what to do.

Posted October 21, 2012
This schools grade has progressively dropped every year since 2010, it currently holds the lowest possible C. Hence the reason why it has not been posted by the school. I am not sure what has been lost here, as not many teachers have been laid off in this school. This used to be a magnet school, with a grade A, but those days are long gone. Very unfortunate as there are not many choice public schools or in general many elementary schools in this area. I am looking to move for the next school year just so that my child doesn't have to attend this school for the next coming year.

Posted February 20, 2010

Posted January 29, 2010
My sons are going to graduate this year and they learn a lot in this school.Teachers are exceptionally good and work really hard with students.

Ps 117 J Keld Briarwood School
108-15 143rd Street, Queens, NY  11435
Last modified Ps 117 J Keld Briarwood School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 117 J Keld Briarwood School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top