Is 141 The Steinway 4

Posted November 30, 2014
This school is pretty good. The principal is very nice and really cares for the students. The assistant principal of the shakespeare academy is such a nice lady she genuinely care for all of the students in her academy. One of the 6th grade ELA teachers is the sweetest old lady, she make ela a fun subject. A 7th grade teacher is young a thinks she knows everything she doesn't make you want to go to her class. She says that you can forget things, she is one of the worst teachers there.

Posted June 23, 2014
School is very good both principle and vice principle are very nice But teacher are very racial

Posted January 18, 2014
The school is okay, I'm in my last year here. Most of the teachers are pretty good, but I can sense discrimination and favoritism in some. Some of my former teachers, and current teachers had obvious favorites in the class, and constantly calls on those people and don't give other kids the opportunity to talk in class. By the time they are called on, everything has been said. Plus the school is split into three. I have friends in another academy, but I barely get to talk to them. Plus there is barely any communication between the 6th graders and 8th graders, theres none at all if you don't have a younger sibling or a friend with a younger sibling. This splitting up can put strain on relationships with other people. Plus it causes the argument of which academy is better. Plus there is an issue with the honor classes, they get stuck with the sucky things. I mean, I'm in top honors and my SS teacher is and ELA teacher, and she's not a good SS teacher, a better ELA, I've had her for that also. So we're basically teaching ourselves.
2 people found this helpful

Is 141 The Steinway 4

Posted July 03, 2012
I'm going to this school next year ,I'm soooooooooo excited the only thing I'm worried and don't know much about is the acadamies. When am I going to get the packet . Teacher said in summer and it's summer....... WHERE IS THE PACKET WITH ALL THE INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted April 28, 2012
The school is okay but some students haven't had a social studies teacher since October. Also, by having honor classes and honor society it makes kids who aren't in it feel dumb. Also, having acdemies. They are the same but because of it some kids think they are smarter. And this school has too many cliques and if your're not popular n one really talks to you. And this school is in need of improvement the letter came in the mail. So if it's such a great school and has been rated A for 5 years. Why is it in need of improvement. Good school but has problems on the inside. And i go here. in the 7th grade.
2 people found this helpful

Posted March 06, 2012
I'm in 7th grade and this school is ok, because teachers don't really care if you give the homework because they don't check it. There's some cliques, and there're kids that break the dress code and deans don't care. If you are a shy person, people don't talk to you. I just wish I could finish this year and next so I could go to high school and leave this school. However I get good grades if I change school then I have to start over and meet friends again .

Is 141 The Steinway 1

Posted February 08, 2012
not a good school at all except for the honers classes it is one of the worst examples of a school

Posted August 04, 2011
This is an awesome school. it definitely has changed since I graduated 141 back in 1990. The principal, assistant principals and all the teachers have been great. My son was in a regular class when he started 141 in the 6th grade, he made it into the honor society and by the 7th grade he was in an honors class. Having the honor society and honor rolls, student of the month, awards night has encouraged my son to do well in all his class. The school and the teachers are very motivating. This is his last year at 141 its a bittersweet time but I'm happy my son had the opportunity to be a part of such a wonderful school.

Posted May 22, 2011
This school is overrated. The academics is nothing special. They have great teachers, but there are things I think should change. Firstly, the school is divided into 3 academies,Einstein,Shakespeare,and Jewels. Why should they divide up the school? It prevents kids from meeting new people. Next, they put kids in classes based on their academic skill levels. I am in the honors class and I see a lot of kids who certainly should not be in it. The non-honors classes are jokes, the kids are unruly and loud and the teachers can't control them. Another observation is that the higher the level of the class, the whiter it is. The lower classes are overwhelmingly minority students. You don't believe me? In my honors class of 35 students, 6 are Hispanic, and the rest are White or Asian. There aren't enough Black students to comment on their status. Hispanics make up nearly 1/3 of the school, so why are they 1/6 of my class? In the other honors class the numbers are even worse. There are 2 Hispanic kids in a class of similar size. I sense some discrimination.

Posted July 01, 2010
This school is so amazing that I had to do cartwheels to get my second child in because the line for admissions is out of the door. They have an academy system that is like three mini schools. My son is in the Einstein Academy. The assitant principal is fantastic and nurturing. The principal talks to me like I am the only person in the universe at that moment. The guidance counselor answers every question immediately. The teachers are exceptional and are always supportive. It is safe and warm. Most of all, my kid is HAPPY to go to school and his education is top notch.

Is 141 The Steinway
37-11 21st Avenue, Queens, NY  11105
Last modified Is 141 The Steinway is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Is 141 The Steinway Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 47 reviews. Top