Queens, NY

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted August 04, 2015
Quite simple they are terrible. Most are burnt out and can't handle the class size, they make grading mistakes and often have to teach to such a broad spectrum of students, from non-native speakers to math whizzes that there is not individual attention at all.

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted August 04, 2015
They do, but not intentionally. The classes of 30 to 33 are above average in size and so if a students wants attention they have to have grit and determination. Most well behaved, quite students get lost in the crowd.

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted August 04, 2015
My daughter had a 2nd grade teacher who clearly resented her for asking to many questions.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted August 04, 2015
Most of the teachers are way past their prime and really don't care about the general population.

Ps 196 Grand Central Parkway 1

Posted October 31, 2014
Principal expressly told parents that a teacher is not under any obligation to respond to a parent's email. The teacher told my child it's ok not to finish his homework. Bullying is tolerated at school. What kind of school is this?

Ps 196 Grand Central Parkway 1

Posted October 28, 2014
PS196 This is a terrible school. All they care about is the state test. The learning process is deteriorating and there is minimal homework. The administration mismanages this place in a shameful manner

Posted August 30, 2014
The Principal and Vice Principal are excellent and very involved in the children's education. They are responsive, bright and set a great standard for the faculty.

Posted April 29, 2014
I went to this elementary school, and I had a great time. The teachers are mostly nice, and the learning material is up to date and sort of advanced. I loved it.

Posted December 23, 2013
P.S. 196 Grand Central Parkway is an outstanding school with emphasis on academics. Ms. Migliano is an excellent principal who has a strong leadership and most teachers (and not all) there are great. My older child went to PS196Q and has been going to Hunter College High School in Manhattan. My younger one has been going to PS196Q since kindergarten. I can only recommend PS196Q to every parent and child. You children will excel at this school.

Ps 196 Grand Central Parkway 4

Posted September 29, 2013
My daughter is in third grade now and she has been at this school since kindergarten. It has its good and bad. I noticed that the people there yell a lot. To be honest, I think it's due to an overcrowding issue. There are a lot of kids and the ratio of students to teachers is pretty high. Other than the yelling, I have had good experiences...of course I have never had to talk to the principle or administration about any issues, so I have no comment on how well they handle problems. But I have talked to them about possibly taking my daughter out of school for a month to leave the country. They were very helpful. They told me everything I need to know: my options, the forms to fill out, and what will happen. The teachers have all been great. I like the new emphasis on teaching depth and introspection...especially in reading comprehension and writing. My husband and I are both engineers, so my daughter gets a lot of math and science at home. I am grateful for the reading comprehension and writing aspect of the curriculum. I am just starting third grade, so testing hasn't really been pushed a lot yet. I will find out this year how it goes as this is the first year of testing.

71-25 113th Street, Queens, NY  11375
Last modified Ps 196 Grand Central Parkway is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 196 Grand Central Parkway Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 145 reviews. Top