Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Our experiences with PS 196 have been very positive. We have two children going to this school. Even though we're relatively new to the school, and can't speak for all teachers, all teachers we had with our 2 kids were great. They were very responsive to inquiries we had, either via class notes, or via e-mails, and very supportive and caring. When there were times that we needed to discuss with the teachers, they made time and met with us, despite their busy schedules. Principal Ms. Migliano is fair to all, encouraging and understanding, but at the mean time, she is strict and enforces disciplines. Assistant principal Ms. Koaz is warm and approachable. She always has sweet smile on her face. Parent teacher coordinator, Ms Maurer, is very responsive and helpful. The school runs a working parents friendly afterschool program, and Ms. Maria, who heads the afterschool program greatly understands those parents' need and difficulties making there on time for pickups on occasions. As for the yelling part, especially of the administrative staff, we've seen it outside of the classroom, and wish the school will work on that, and encourage the staff to give more loving and friendlier instructions to the kids.The workload of the teachers is huge, for one teacher teaches both math and ELA to 30+ kids througout the day, but this problem is beyond PS196. - A parent

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Quite simple they are terrible. Most are burnt out and can't handle the class size, they make grading mistakes and often have to teach to such a broad spectrum of students, from non-native speakers to math whizzes that there is not individual attention at all.

Principal expressly told parents that a teacher is not under any obligation to respond to a parent's email. The teacher told my child it's ok not to finish his homework. Bullying is tolerated at school. What kind of school is this?

PS196 This is a terrible school. All they care about is the state test. The learning process is deteriorating and there is minimal homework. The administration mismanages this place in a shameful manner

The Principal and Vice Principal are excellent and very involved in the children's education. They are responsive, bright and set a great standard for the faculty.

I went to this elementary school, and I had a great time. The teachers are mostly nice, and the learning material is up to date and sort of advanced. I loved it.

P.S. 196 Grand Central Parkway is an outstanding school with emphasis on academics. Ms. Migliano is an excellent principal who has a strong leadership and most teachers (and not all) there are great. My older child went to PS196Q and has been going to Hunter College High School in Manhattan. My younger one has been going to PS196Q since kindergarten. I can only recommend PS196Q to every parent and child. You children will excel at this school.

My daughter is in third grade now and she has been at this school since kindergarten. It has its good and bad. I noticed that the people there yell a lot. To be honest, I think it's due to an overcrowding issue. There are a lot of kids and the ratio of students to teachers is pretty high. Other than the yelling, I have had good experiences...of course I have never had to talk to the principle or administration about any issues, so I have no comment on how well they handle problems. But I have talked to them about possibly taking my daughter out of school for a month to leave the country. They were very helpful. They told me everything I need to know: my options, the forms to fill out, and what will happen. The teachers have all been great. I like the new emphasis on teaching depth and introspection...especially in reading comprehension and writing. My husband and I are both engineers, so my daughter gets a lot of math and science at home. I am grateful for the reading comprehension and writing aspect of the curriculum. I am just starting third grade, so testing hasn't really been pushed a lot yet. I will find out this year how it goes as this is the first year of testing.

When my child was at 3rd grade, one day he brought home a math worksheet with an "Excellent" mark upside down. Then I found 5 errors in his sheet that were never identified by the teacher. It happened seveal times and I reached a conclusion that the teacher pretended that she checked students' work. I thought it was just a bad luck. But when he went to 4th grade, I found no marks or comments on his homework assignments at all. The conclusion is that the teacher never checked homework. Without teachers' feedback, how can a child learn?

My daughter has been at this school for two years already and she enjoys a lot!!! I'm glad with the teacher's feedback, everytime she something to say about my daughter she sends a note and she calls me. It happened every time this past year. I was happy with it. Also, every time they have presentations at school auditorium everything is very organized and beautiful decorated. Congratulions PS 196. Keep up the great work you all do.

Last modified Ps 196 Grand Central Parkway is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.