Ps 90 Horace Mann

Public | PK-5 & ungraded | 878 students

Posted July 4, 2014

omg , I miss PS.90 sooo much ! I miss all the teachers I had. I remember Ms. Decristino , Ms. Ammarati , Ms. Sabia , and Mrs. Talia ! I miss them all very much. I did very well on their class as well. I can't wait to go visit them. 2008-2012

Posted December 20, 2013

pretty good school considering the neightborhood is a wreck. The principal Ms. Ubertini is very good. She knows every student by name and really cares. She works long hours. My experience with the teachers has been good too. I am a PTA mother. I feel my daughter is getting a good education at this school. I just wish the school was on a better block. The streets are small and picking up my child is sometimes a chore dodging the school buses.

Posted November 21, 2013

P.S. 90 and I had Mr. Zimler as my 5ht and 6th grade teacher in 1963 and 1964. He was the best teacher I ever had. I learned more in the two years with him than I did in college. I have a B.A. in English and two Masters. His teaching and the discipline I acquired in has class was the foundation for all my future education!

Posted August 26, 2013

One of the fondest memories of going to PS 90 was my sixth grade teacher . He was a very caring and interested teacher. On my final report card he gave me some good advice which I should have listened to then back in the 1970's .

Posted August 22, 2013

I attended this school as a kid and now my own daughter is attending as well as our two foster children. They love this school because it's very diverse and there are cultural events to celebrate and learn each others customs. I am a PTA mom and bake cupcakes for the fundraisers whenever I can. The school bathrooms are old and could use some updating. There are many trips scheduled and there is always plenty of supervision. The principal is great and she handles things very quickly and is very attentive to parents' concerns. For september 2013, the school day will start at 8am and breakfast will start at 7:35 am. So parents can drop their kids off early and catch the train or bus closeby. School will dismiss at 2:20pm. I would recommend this school.

Posted July 3, 2013

I fully agree with the parent review below. I took my child out of this school for several reasons. The bedbug problem they once had back in 2010 and her teachers emotionally abused my child as well as myself. It was the best move I have ever made. Since I transfered her she became student of the month 2 years in a row and countinues to move up a grade. And to think these teachers tell me she is not capable of ever doing these things. I will not knock her Kindergarten and first grade teachers they was wonderful. But her second grade teachers was a nightmare and there was no lines of communication anymore. All I know they handled my child and myself very badly and I had to get her out. ASAP!

Posted July 2, 2013

PS 90 is an ok school. Not the worst but definitely not anywhere close to the top. The main problems I see with this school are; a lack of communication between teachers and parents about teaching methods and where students need additional help, not enough of a variety in what is being taught-- kids need art and music, not just math, reading and science, not enough time during the day for kids to be kids. This might seem unimportant but not all children have the capacity to sit quietly for 6-7 hours out of the day. Having programs like art and music, as well as having enough time to interact with other kids socially during reccess and getting exercise allows them to have a break from the boredom many of them feel and helps them to be able to focus when they are given monotonous tasks. Also, many public elementary schools have after school programs, why doesn't this one? Also I must add, a few of the teachers were quite rude, uncooperative and condescending when I tried to get information about what and how they teach. PTA- a waste of time, unless you want to spend an hour and a half a month talking about money and what to with it instead of the quality of education in the school.

Posted December 26, 2012

Granted, I was a student at P.S. 90 many years ago, but I had to take this opportunity to recognize Mr. Isadore Zimler, my 6th grade teacher, who was THE best teacher I ever had. I think about him often, and still use what I learned in his class. We didn't memorize, we LEARNED. What a remarkable educator! I still remember the day he paid for a Thanksgiving party for our entire class out of his own pocket. I now have a Ph.D., and I am and will be eternally grateful to Mr. Zimler for all he taught me.

Posted September 25, 2012

You know what slays me is when the facts are presented and people want to hush it away and pretend like everything is fine. Stop with the awesome principals and teacher routine. Wake up people they are playing with your kids lives here. Would it matter to have a sick and dirty educated kid? Is that what real parents want? WAKE UP already.

Posted September 14, 2012

I have my two children in this school and both have learned at a very fast pace thanks to the teachers. The staff in this school are very friendly and very helpful. I only wish they had a bigger place for the school to excersice.

Posted June 19, 2012

Hey Mr. Former Military Pilot. Thanks for doing your 2 tours in Vietnam. The PS 90 you are referring to is located in Brooklyn, not the PS 90 in Queens. 2 totally different schools and 2 totally different principals!!! Please be careful before you post misinformation on the web!!! The PS 90 located in Queens has nothing to do with your comments. And again, thanks for your 2 tours of duty!

Posted June 12, 2012

As a former Military Pilot with two tours in VietNam, I am so sad that this school does not want it's students to Respect the USA! When banning a patriotic song about American Military persons and the love of the USA for young pop artis's song "Baby, baby" is appaling to this former military defender of the USA. The lack of leadership and support of all the USA gives students should not be condoned!!!!!

Posted March 4, 2012

My son has been in PS 90 since Pre-K. He is in 4th grade this year and doing very well. If you do your part as a parent your child will succeed in PS 90. This school welcome parents with open arms. As far as bed bugs concern I never had any problems with the school. No one should point finger unless you had real evidence, after all there are parents that are quite happy with this school with heart.

Posted September 15, 2011

PS 90 is a great school with a welcoming staff. When you take the time to be active in your childs learning environment you see the hard work that goes into the job. My daughter has been here since kindergarten and has needed additional services that have been provided. Now as a 5th grader, she does not require all the help because she has improved. I credit the school for this and am grateful. The PTA also works hard to have activies for the school and this is a plus. Unfortunatley bed bugs is a problem in NYC schools, I have not experienced it in this school but instead of blaming the school I do feel as parents we should be watching out more effectively that we do not bring it to school. Also the Principal takes the time to know the kids, a few years ago I heard her for the first time greet my child by name I was impressed because out of so many children, her taking the time to do this is remarkable. Prior to this I had no personal interaction with her besides just knowing her position.

Posted July 27, 2011

P.S. 90 does not impress me anymore. My son was struggling and his so called teachers tell me they are doing their best to help him. But for 7 months they have set him him up to fail and bragged to me that they will be teaching him again next fall before he got his final report card. I am dealing with this and their bedbug problem they sent my son home from school with. I have spent over $5,000.00 fixing their problem in my home. This school is just upsetting and my son will never go back their this September!!!

Posted February 1, 2011

My daughter really like going to school. I like the teachers and other staff. Everyone are friendly and kind. Please keep up the good work. Thank you...

Posted August 26, 2010

i really like p.s. 90 the teachers are great and my son always like to go school and learn so much

Posted October 23, 2009

Love this school highly educated teachers with masters and beyond, can't say that about private school teachers. Free after school, tennis lessons available,girls scouts,karate, it is a small school but there is always an activity to look forward to.

Posted May 27, 2009

This is an average school. My daughter goes there for pre-K and she hasn't learned much. She learned much more in her 3-year-olds school.

Posted June 9, 2007

Hi there reader, Ps 90 is a school in continuous progress. It is indeed a school with a heart especially for the kids the Administration and staff really does a terrific job, and is always seeking was for improvement. The school has received the best progress report and has for four consecutive years received awards for continuous academic achievement. My son loves his school, class mates and teacher. I am always involve in my school and they always make me feel very welcome. The principal and staff creates an atmosphere that encourages parent and community involvement.I give my school, principal and staff an A and wishes them a happy summer.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 36% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students29%

English language learners4%
Proficient in English33%
Non-migrant26%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the New York Department of Education. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students30%

English language learners0%
Proficient in English23%
Non-migrant20%

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "B" for the elementary school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 58%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 525 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.2

8.0

8.6

8.4

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.6

8.5

7.9

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

7.4

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.2

Teachers3356%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

• MRS. ADRIENNE UBERTINI

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now