Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Rochester Prep is tough I know but lets be honest the world is not a cake walk either. I enjoy speaking with the teachers and the principle, they put in the effort to make sure our children will succeed I appreciate their strategy. A lot of parents I know that complain about the lessons and the homework are lazy or just don't understand the work, so they snatch their kids out and put them back in the schools that really can care less about their childs academics. As long as they don't bring those binders home they ok. Not mines they will work hard now so it will be a cake walk when they go to a prestigious college. We need more African American and Latinos or as we are known "minorities" that Graduate with a PhD from Harvard and other great colleges that they don't expect us to be in. So buckle down for your child and if this school is too hard for you and your child then do what's best for you and them all of mine will continue to get the structure and the education. Thank you all Rochester Prep Faculty we appreciate you!!

Amount of homework: Agree

When our scolars enter college homework will be a breeze papers will be a snap and they will have great time management something I wish I was prepared for when I entered College Thank you for showing them the right way

It is so sad to see the poor ratings that other people have given this school. My son started in Kindergarten this year and I couldn't be happier. I was originally going to homeschool because the city schools teach that awful common core, Gvt. regulated garbage. Not this school. The teachers at RP write out their own lesson plans. (i.e. the lesson is about agriculture, the teacher will read 4 books about the subject and write up a lesson from the best materials.) My son gets rewards for making good choices and he learns the consequences of making poor choices. Also, there is homework every night, which makes you spend at least an hour being involved with your child's learning and development. I get a call from the teachers every 2 weeks, as well. All of these things were explained in great detail at the orientation, so I am not sure about these parents complaining about the structure and amount of homework etc. My boy comes home proud to tell me he had a green, and I can see the development of his abilities on a daily basis. He even identified a word in a book we were reading and it wasn't one we had even ever talked about before! I am hoping to have all 4 of my children attend this school.

Rochester Prep School teachers don't believe in their own mission statement such as, compassion, respect and INTEGRITY toward the students. I'm very disappointed in this school. The deductions are ridiculious especially when you know your childs character. They also like to discipline the parents which is unacceptable. The amount of discipline they do to the kids is unheard of. I don't even do that much to my own child. I would like to know how they would feel if they got deductions from their paychecks for not calling a parent back. The real world does not do that.

Roch. Prep use physical education class as a reward and as a source of punishment. Isn't physical education required by law? Our scholars need to be developing their speaking and thinking ability, the only way this is possible is through communication. They focus on teaching to the test and giving an absurd amounts of homework. The principal is rude and doesn't want to communicate with parents. I had some concerns about the school's assessments and evaluations and requested a meeting with the principal. She never agreed upon a time to meet with me. After I had asked to meet with her several times, she sent the secretary to talk to me and then the parent member. One shouldn't be allowed to be a school leader in an urban area if she doesn't feel comfortable communicating with urban parents. She is unapproachable, rude, and shouldn't be working with urban families, ... any families for that matter. The principal needs to be removed and parents should be a part of the governing body of the school.

Rochester Prep isn't an inclusive school. They believe in instilling fear in their students and not involving educated parents. Learners' are treated like robots, non-thinking, non-communicating, beings. Learners' need to be able to express their ideas and not be told to put your hand down 99% of the day. The leadership at the school is closed minded and like to gloat about being unapologetic about their limited thinking ability. They threaten students, that's why I am pulling my son from their school and writing the state department of education. An investigation needs to be conducted to review their bullying practices. I was informed by a previous employee that whisper in the children's ear and the children burst in to tears. What is done in the dark will come to the light.

I LOVE rochester Prep's elementary school! This will be my childs third year. My child is a "star scholar", she was having behavior issues in RCSD Pre-k. She had an IEP and we considered special education. I havent had any issues since we choose RP. She even started reading and writing in kindergarden! I have so much respect for the dedication of the teachers and staff. They do have some strict rules, and may not be right for all students. I like that my chatterbox has to earn lunch time talking, and weekly treasure. They are teaching her many lessons at a very young age (so I know it'll stay with her for years to come). I like the structure they maintain. I feel my child is getting quality education . I do not like the schools location.

This school is great academically, however they do not have a good handle on the social aspect of educating children. My child was bullied repeatedly by another student while attending this school and the teachers did nothing when she reported this to them, not even notifying me, her parent. I wasn't aware of this problem until my child was stabbed in the neck in school and the school still failed to separate the bully from my child. I spent many hours at the school and on the phone trying to rectify this situation, and it was never dealt with in a satisfactory manner. If your child's safety is a concern for you, try finding a school that is more concerned about the safety of its students. Academically, the school is wonderful but if a child doesn't feel safe in school it will do more harm than good.

I would like to say that Rochester Prep is by far the worst school I've had to deal with. They go over board with testing. The kids are testing it seems like every other month with Interval. A test they conduct to see how to prepare the students for the NYS test. The discipline they have is nothing I've seen any where. I think they also go over board in the halls. They have the students standing in line in a black box and if their foot is on the line they are given a deduction. They can't even talk at lunch. The tutoring they offer doesn't help. The teachers don't care and they make your life miserable. They offer NO support. I wouldn't recommend this school. They really need to take a look at how they are doing things. I rate this school 1 star only because it's a school.

This school gets results without teaching to the NYS test. They are serious about College Prep. They reward good behavior and punish poor choices. At times, the punishment is extreme compared to the infraction. For example, the entire class losing phys ed because of perceived poor behavior in another class. Phys ed is as much a requirement as math. The staff was receptive to my concerns, but we ultimately pulled our child. Computers are a privilege? No music classes, although there is Enrichment which is a nice catch-all for some of the resources the school lacks. Committed teachers who put in long hours even host regular, optional Saturday school.

Last modified True North Rochester Preparatory Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.