Public charter
Rochester, NY

Posted October 26, 2013
Rochester Prep School teachers don't believe in their own mission statement such as, compassion, respect and INTEGRITY toward the students. I'm very disappointed in this school. The deductions are ridiculious especially when you know your childs character. They also like to discipline the parents which is unacceptable. The amount of discipline they do to the kids is unheard of. I don't even do that much to my own child. I would like to know how they would feel if they got deductions from their paychecks for not calling a parent back. The real world does not do that.

Posted August 15, 2013
Roch. Prep use physical education class as a reward and as a source of punishment. Isn't physical education required by law? Our scholars need to be developing their speaking and thinking ability, the only way this is possible is through communication. They focus on teaching to the test and giving an absurd amounts of homework. The principal is rude and doesn't want to communicate with parents. I had some concerns about the school's assessments and evaluations and requested a meeting with the principal. She never agreed upon a time to meet with me. After I had asked to meet with her several times, she sent the secretary to talk to me and then the parent member. One shouldn't be allowed to be a school leader in an urban area if she doesn't feel comfortable communicating with urban parents. She is unapproachable, rude, and shouldn't be working with urban families, ... any families for that matter. The principal needs to be removed and parents should be a part of the governing body of the school.

Posted August 15, 2013
Rochester Prep isn't an inclusive school. They believe in instilling fear in their students and not involving educated parents. Learners' are treated like robots, non-thinking, non-communicating, beings. Learners' need to be able to express their ideas and not be told to put your hand down 99% of the day. The leadership at the school is closed minded and like to gloat about being unapologetic about their limited thinking ability. They threaten students, that's why I am pulling my son from their school and writing the state department of education. An investigation needs to be conducted to review their bullying practices. I was informed by a previous employee that whisper in the children's ear and the children burst in to tears. What is done in the dark will come to the light.

True North Rochester Preparatory Charter School 4

Posted August 31, 2012
I LOVE rochester Prep's elementary school! This will be my childs third year. My child is a "star scholar", she was having behavior issues in RCSD Pre-k. She had an IEP and we considered special education. I havent had any issues since we choose RP. She even started reading and writing in kindergarden! I have so much respect for the dedication of the teachers and staff. They do have some strict rules, and may not be right for all students. I like that my chatterbox has to earn lunch time talking, and weekly treasure. They are teaching her many lessons at a very young age (so I know it'll stay with her for years to come). I like the structure they maintain. I feel my child is getting quality education . I do not like the schools location.

Posted July 03, 2012
This school is great academically, however they do not have a good handle on the social aspect of educating children. My child was bullied repeatedly by another student while attending this school and the teachers did nothing when she reported this to them, not even notifying me, her parent. I wasn't aware of this problem until my child was stabbed in the neck in school and the school still failed to separate the bully from my child. I spent many hours at the school and on the phone trying to rectify this situation, and it was never dealt with in a satisfactory manner. If your child's safety is a concern for you, try finding a school that is more concerned about the safety of its students. Academically, the school is wonderful but if a child doesn't feel safe in school it will do more harm than good.

Posted March 23, 2012
I would like to say that Rochester Prep is by far the worst school I've had to deal with. They go over board with testing. The kids are testing it seems like every other month with Interval. A test they conduct to see how to prepare the students for the NYS test. The discipline they have is nothing I've seen any where. I think they also go over board in the halls. They have the students standing in line in a black box and if their foot is on the line they are given a deduction. They can't even talk at lunch. The tutoring they offer doesn't help. The teachers don't care and they make your life miserable. They offer NO support. I wouldn't recommend this school. They really need to take a look at how they are doing things. I rate this school 1 star only because it's a school.

True North Rochester Preparatory Charter School 4

Posted October 25, 2011
This school gets results without teaching to the NYS test. They are serious about College Prep. They reward good behavior and punish poor choices. At times, the punishment is extreme compared to the infraction. For example, the entire class losing phys ed because of perceived poor behavior in another class. Phys ed is as much a requirement as math. The staff was receptive to my concerns, but we ultimately pulled our child. Computers are a privilege? No music classes, although there is Enrichment which is a nice catch-all for some of the resources the school lacks. Committed teachers who put in long hours even host regular, optional Saturday school.

True North Rochester Preparatory Charter School 5

Posted September 02, 2010
My son has been in this school since 5th grade this year he is entering 7th grade and I will say he learned more within his first 2 weeks in this school then he did the 4years in the city school district. I am completely grateful for the dedication the teachers and principal show because this allows all the kids to know caring for your education is most important.

True North Rochester Preparatory Charter School 5

Posted March 29, 2010
Alot of parents don't know about this school,but it will have your child be something in life. Also, this school will teach your kids so much manners if they don't. The teachers will make you correct yourself if you do not speak correct english. I love it!! I recommand this school for any child.

True North Rochester Preparatory Charter School
630 Brooks Avenue, Rochester, NY  14619
Last modified True North Rochester Preparatory Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
True North Rochester Preparatory Charter School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top