School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Here at Saint Helen's we are striving to treat all students and families as individuals. We offer varied programs to meet the needs of all our families. We will always put the child's needs first and we always consider the families as a whole when making any decision. Our door is always open to anyone who has concerns!!
April 13, 2011

St Helens School 3

Posted December 07, 2012
At what point does it become a legal issue when behavioral issues "Bullying" are not appropriately handled by the administration. Catholic values do not leave a child emotionally scarred.

St Helens School 2

Posted August 09, 2012
I could not be happier with the teachers at Saint Helen's... for that reason I have rated this school with two stars. They are dedicated and put a lot of effort into the education of each student. Overall, I have been very disappointed with the school's lack of organization, issues with class size, behavioral concerns not appropriately handled and unprofessional administration. The staff in the office seems very hardworking but the paperwork that is sent home is unreliable. There are often last-minute papers sent home, incorrect account information for tuition, I have had checks go missing, and the very infrequent principal's message is full of spelling and grammar mistakes! The cap on class-size is a joke. I feel horribly misled. The school continues to register new students because it seems that money is more important than teacher:student ratio. Teachers are moved around by grade-level every year. Students with behavioral concerns can be found walking the hallways or playing in the principal's office. On more than one occasion I have heard the principal speaking inappropriately. She is very abrasive and doesn't connect to the students or parents at all.

St Helens School 4

Posted February 17, 2012
My son loves school here and the teachers are great. The administration on the other hand needs a major overhall..Paperwork has been misplaced or lost and somethings just seem very unorganized. A great since of community at the school, which is very important to us and our child..

Posted June 25, 2011
I am so proud of everything my son has accomplished being at St.Helens. he now loves to read thanks all their staff. He loves going to school everyday, he even gets upset when they have a day off. St. Helens cares about each and everyone of the students and their family when you go to any school function you feel like welcomed.

Posted May 02, 2011
My children literally run through the doors of St. Helen's everyday, so excited to get to their classrooms. Each day they are greeted at the front door by several caring staff members. Our family feels like a part of a community at St. Helen's. Father Bob can often be seen at the school interacting with the students and encouraging the growth of their faith. The principal and assistant principal are very accessible and cooperative in addressing any concerns that may arise. The teachers communicate with us regularly via emails, conferences, newsletters and updated class pages on the St. Helen's website. I feel like the staff and administration is very invested in seeing my children succeed. I would recommend St. Helen's to any family looking for an academically enriching and socially supportive environment for their children.

Posted April 15, 2011
My daughter is in Pre-K and my son is in second grade. I couldn't ask for a better school! My son had struggled with attention and socialization in his other school. The smaller class size and personal attention has helped the whole family run more smoothly. My son loves the afterschool program- he gets his homework done, eats a snack, then gets to play with his friends. I am very impressed with the Spanish language instruction, in addition to art, music and phys ed. The core curriculum has kept my son busy and interested- he loves science and reading the most! My daughter's program has the right mix of academic activity and playtime for a 4 year old. I lloked at one of those kindergarten readiness lists online and she meets every requirement already. The character education is just the icing on the cake. My kids are taught to be good people in a nurturing way. They look forward to seeing the parish priest when he has mass with the kids. He makes it an enjoyable experience, with age appropriate homilies and music. My family is not Catholic, but we feel very welcome, and even received some financial aid from the diocese.

Posted April 15, 2011
St. Helen's is a warm and welcoming school with an excellent academic program. I have two children enrolled here and I could not be happier. Not only is St. Helen's a safe place where children can learn, they feel comfortable being themselves and are treated with respect by their peers. Most impressive is that my son (who is only in nursery) has classes in Spanish, Art, Gym and Music every week! The teachers are caring, creative and well educated. My daughter's first grade teacher was even recently recognized by Channel 13 as one of the top teachers in the Capital District. I would whole-heartedly recommend St. Helen's school.

Posted April 15, 2011
I have worked at St. Helen's for 2 years and I love it! I am treated as a professional and respected for my skills and ideas. This is the general atmosphere of the school. Our students are encouraged to find the things they do best and that they love and given opportunities to incorporate that into their learning. We work to communicate with parents so that we are all on the same page, should any problems arise. I see so many dedicated families who are committed to their child's education, and I am so grateful! We are constantly educating ourselves to be the best for our school. Beyond our college degrees, we attend seminars on everything from discipline to handwriting. We are available for any concerns and work as a team. If I can't help, I will tell you who on our staff can.

Posted April 13, 2011
My son has been a student at Saint Helen's for 2 years and we can not be happier with the programming and the teachers. We have found a family and home for our son.

St Helens School 1

Posted March 23, 2011
Major inconsistencies and disorganization on the administrative end. All tuition is negotiable, some kids receive discounts for certain activities that others inexplicably don't, haphazard distribution of information and paperwork, published uniform policies are not enforced, and children are inconsistently quarantined following or during an illness. Some taught material is of questionable as far as appropriate age group, and controversial topics are not brought to the attention of parents prior to it being presented to the children. After school can be complete chaos HOWEVER, many teachers are wonderful, the issues seem to lie clearly with leadership.

St Helens School