New Lane Memorial Elementary School

Public | 1-5 | 1007 students

Sweep tile

Posted November 12, 2013

My son is now 20 years old and went to New Lane, I had my reservations because of the open classrooms and not having a cafeteria. It may have bothered me but not my son. He excelled there! The Teachers were wonderful! Now I have a 10 year old daughter in 5th grade there This year has already started an exciting last year with all kinds of trips and activities planned. Once again no problems at all. It was my issue not my kids. They had an amazing experience there!

Posted August 27, 2013

This school was a huge distraction because of the lack of walls, you can hear every single teacher. It is so hard to concentrate in this school.When I was in 4th grade we were taking the New York Sate Testing Program and the teacher had to read a passage and we had to take notes,the problem was you could hear EVERY SINGLE TEACHER reading the exact same thing.Some are reading before your teacher and some are reading after.That was a huge distraction.Also there is NO CAFETERIA,so students eat and drink at there desks.This school was a huge disappointment and a big distraction to me for 5 years

Posted March 1, 2013

I have had 3 sons in this school,2 whom have ADHD.There are no speacial programs for my boys with adhd.Also,I have had numerous issues with the "teachers",the Therapists and the principal of this school.They don't seem to care about the children,all the seem to care about it the money they get.My youngest child has recently been pulled out of the school to be homeschooled,due to the lack of caring and assistance from the school and its staff.if you children go here..Good Luck to you,you will need it

Posted February 27, 2013

At first I was very worried when i heard there are no walls here. However I asked my child how the classes were. "Are you distracted by noise? Are there times you can't hear the teacher? Etc...." My child answered and said that it is not distracting and you can hear the teacher. Ever since she's been going there, she has had a high level of motivation and continues to improve in all of her subjects. She's on her second year there, and has had great teachers for both years. It seems people are afraid of new ideas or different things, however, the communication that I am receiving from my child is positive, and I have seen a lot of positive things coming out of her! Walls are age old, and if these teachers have found a way to live and make it without walls, that is ingenious and also teaches the kids how to improvise; and that is educational in itself! Great job New Lane! Thank you to all of the teachers in this school! You are all great! Keep doing what you are doing and ignore the negative comments on here from people who know nothing about nothing!

Posted February 24, 2011

New Lane Elem. School was a HUGE disappointment! It is an "open classroom" style setting. There are no walls or doors and it is a VERY NOISY atmosphere for the children! There is NO cafeteria and the kids EAT, DRINK and WORK at their desk! They do not have an opportunity to wash their hands before they eat b/c there is ONE bathroom for several "classes" of children. I ended up taking my child out of this awful school after 2 years and I have home schooled him ever since. I was not impressed with the teachers or the Principal..It is such a shame, considering the high taxes I pay for my house in this district! Open class rooms are a terrible idea!

Posted November 10, 2010

teachers are good for the students. Downfall, no cafeteria, children eat at desk, desks are not cleaned daily. No Lysol wipes allow due to chemicals, but children are expected to eat, drink and learn at desks.

Posted August 22, 2010

The teachers that my daughter has had in the last 4 years have been great & she has learned ALOT. The principal needs to relax a little bit & realize these children are exactly that....CHILDREN. One of the things that is ridiculous is not allowing 6 - 11 year olds to dress up for Halloween & not having any type of "holiday" parties or plays. Children only get to be kids once in their lifetime & I think they are being robbed with enjoying such events.

Posted April 13, 2010

My child does very very well in this school he loves it very much..The teachers are wonderful.

Posted December 8, 2009

I would give the school a higher rating, but for me it's too soon. My daughter has begun the first grade, and so far she is performing exceptionally well. I was apprehensive at first, because their are no walls or cafeteria, like others have mentioned; however I believe that the true measure of a schools success is the performance of its students. So far I cannot be any more excited for my daughter, and look forward to her continued success. A word of caution to parents... Our children go to school to learn. It's important that parents stay actively involved in the lives of our children and not expect the school to be responsible for providing everything a child needs.

Posted March 31, 2009

The biggest issue with this school is not its lack of walls (cafeteria in the other hand, it s a matter of hygiene), but rather the absence of challenging, age-appropriated activities for children, while having others going on that seem just too dumb for having place at all levels at school, as Pajama Day (and in the middle of the week). Also, the rule not child is left behind at this school is more like let s lower the stake, so everyone can pass . Rather than giving more challenge, they patronize them with help as practice tests with the only objective of passing the test . When coming to personalized attention, forget it! My child s teacher handles her students a photocopy of No homework accomplished standard letter, any time something is missing on the homework or class work, no matter what it was or why; and no additional comment from her.

Posted March 19, 2009

Seriously??? How would anyone, child or adult be able to concentrate in this environment???? No walls, no cafeteria, and if your child is not like every other child then he is an outcast. This school is doing a great disservice to my child, who needs to be in a gifted and talented program... Oh, we don't have one. Every child is being taught equally, although they are not equal, some need extra help, and some need to be challanged more. But they all get the same equal education. The new principal is more interested in how much control she can have over the children rather then how much she can help them get the best education possible. Both my children will be pulled from this school next year, I have dealt with it for 4 years and I am tired of my child suffering.

Posted January 9, 2009

There are no walls, there is no cafeteria! How is a child supposed to learn when he can hear the activities of five other classrooms? Children are expected to be able to concentrate in an environment that is not condusive to learning at all.

Posted May 28, 2008

I totally agree that there should be a cafeteria. The open classrooms I have no problem with. I went to this school and did very well. My daughter went to this school and is in all honor classes. If you go to the school on a regular day and sit in the class, you'll see you can't hear the other classes. My biggest gripe with this school is there are no extra activities for the kids and end of school year celebrations are done seperately. I know no other school that does this. The scool use to have field day with the whole school together at one time. Regarding cafeteria, lets get rid of the locker rooms and a gym. Overall the teachers are great the principal needs to let loose a little.

Posted November 3, 2007

I agree what school needs 4 gyms with no lunchroom? Why not put up walls instead of putting in yet more vending machines? Or a new field for the football team? Yes a new football field is nice, but I think walls are better for the kids. If I knew then what I know now I would of never moved into the New Lane area. When you are lookin at schools who thinks to ask 'Do you have walls?' Give me a break!

Posted November 1, 2007

I am in complete agreement that no having a cafeteria is ridiculous. The kids have no fun in the school. The PTA tries to have events for the childs and are turned down by the princpal.

Posted August 22, 2006

I agree that the open classrooms are rediculous. I also hate that there is no cafeteria. Why not, if anything, use the gyms as a cafeteria? Thats what we did when I was in elementary school. My child transferred here from a better school district, and there are many things I would like to change. I would like to have more murals on the walls. Lets make the building less sterile PLEASE!!! This is the place our children spend most of their time. It should feel warm and welcoming...not cold and empty. Lets have a school festival, or something else to bring our community together. Yes there are many many children, but that is all the more reason to give them a sense of pride and community. I also would love it if they had a halloween parade, or at least let them dress up.

Posted April 29, 2006

My thought is less then trilling on this school! This school is entirely way to big. The open classroom setting is horrible, as an adult at open school night it was hard for me to pay attention to the teacher talking right in front of me,imagine for a child. And my other biggest complaint these children are forced to eat lunch at their desks, as there is no cafateria it is a long day to have them not get the break needed. My thought would be to avoid this school if at all possible. There are no school dances or any fun things for the children and why? Always blamed on the size of the school and that they can never accomodate everyone at one time for anything. And forget if you need a child to get extra help, you'd have a better chance of winning Lotto! Good Luck!

Posted August 21, 2005

I will agree to the fact that the school having no walls and boundary separation did concern me when we first moved into the district last year. I felt this would hinder my daughters education but i've come to see past that and realize that it's not the walls that enable a child to learn and be a success. It is the teachers and faculty that are the ones that will make a difference in a child and the things they learn. Sure walls are great for quietness and privacy but without them it enables all students to work and learn together. I feel the staff at New Lane is wonderful and have a decent amount of control 'without walls.'

Posted June 28, 2005

This review, unfortunately, must predominanttly take the form of complaint. The major complaint is that New Lane Elementary embraces the 'open classroom' concept meaning that instead of each class having their own classroom, all the classes are in one large area with no walls or other separation from one another. This causes the students to be subjected to unlimited noise and distraction from the subject being addressed in their own class. In my opinion, in order for any student to get the most out of their school days, the optimum conditions for concentration should be the objective of any learning institution. I feel that every student that is mandated to study under these conditions is being forced to sacrifice a major portion of their learning potential. For reasons that I cannot identify, the level of support and encouragement provided by the faculty is mediocre and the classrooms are way too large.

Posted April 22, 2004

The principal and the asst principal have terrific leadership. I am most impressed at how well they know all of the students. This, I feel assists them in assessing and dealing with difficult situations where the students are concerned. They make it their business to not only know the students names, but also their personalities. This is most important when dealing with discipline problems. Let me say this is also true of most of the teachers as well. Overall, I highly recommend New Lane Elementary.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

206 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 36% in 2013.

207 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 88% in 2011.

195 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

194 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian 6% 9%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%

• MS. LISA CONTARINO

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

15 New Ln