No rating

Ivy League School

Private | PK-6 | 244 students

Living in Smithtown

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $415,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,780.

Posted June 11, 2014

In my experience as an educator and school parent, the door is always open for communication with parents, and school leaders are easily accessible. I know that graduates from last years class are attending private high schools such as Knox, York Prep, Port ledge and St. Anthony s to name a few. Each one is a success story, filled with academic achievement and social acclimation. This year s graduates are headed in a similar direction. The after school program is broad based with something for everyone and extra help is always available. Additionally, the school is accredited by the Middle States Association which is a much tougher certification to obtain than the Independent School certification that most private schools obtain. All of the teachers are NYS Certified, hold Masters Degrees and are experienced. Academic subjects are not doubled up and instruction is always differentiated. The key Administrators are Dr. Don Sternberg, Principal and Myrna Gartenstein, Curriculum Director are both nationally recognized educators with unparalleled experience and credentials.

Posted April 6, 2014

Parent teacher communication is extremely poor. School is for transient students, and public school is still a far better option. School personal put on a great show when it comes to selling their curriculum but the bottom line is students are not taught how to compete academically in the real world and staff are quick to blame students (i.e. classifying students with psych issues, beware, take heed!) when they fall behind. In 8 years I only know of 1 child who graduated all other students left before graduating. After school activities, sports, extra help, nonexistent! Talk a good game to get your tuition but the reality of your child graduating from this school is highly unlikely. Dont be fooled by the location and classroom buildings its a front for a very poor educational experience that you will regret I am a parent giving this review and going through the process of getting my child caught up academically and socially. Dont be gullible about your childs education and the idea of private school, Ivy League fails all aspects of education but they are very good used car salesmen and they know how the system works to keep any educational ratings up. Definitely Not For My Child!

Posted August 2, 2013

My son is about to enter his 2nd year at Ivy League School. Going into PreK. Well educated teachers, fabulous hands-on approach to teaching, and beautiful grounds. He has had such a positive and nurturing learning experience. We look forward to Ivy League continuing to go above and beyond any expectations.

Posted July 8, 2013

What a great experience my son is having at Ivy Leagues elementary school! We came there after kindergarten as we felt he was so bright and not being challenged in his former school. The classes are small and so he gets so much attention. Its a lot of work,but he"s up for it.The school also offers him so much out side of his regular classroom. We plan of starting our second child in preschool there next year.Everyone we have spoken to said the experience was wonderful.It doesn't matter which class you go into.The experiences for everyone we spoke to were so positive. We highly recommend this school.

Posted May 30, 2012

Originally, Ivy League was our second choice. Now, we wouldn't bring our kids anywhere else. Ivy League's caring, competent teachers and administrators acknowledge our son's strengths, and are fearless of his IEP. The curriculum is more challenging and thought-provoking than that of their former country day school, getting the kids to think harder. At first, I wasn't happy with the homework load, but after a year, I see it's made my kids stronger. We also like that fact that instrumental music and team sports are encouraged but not mandated. My complaints are very minor: I'd like to see the kids change clothes for phys. ed., and for many reasons, I would also like to see the school establish uniform dress policy.

Posted September 28, 2011

I can't say enough good things about Ivy League. I have one child in pre-k, and one child in middle school, and both are excelling. My oldest received no support from his former public school - he was falling through the cracks and his grades were in a downward spiral. I brought him to Ivy League, and in a year he has shown such improvement and gains in confidence, that I am just thrilled. I've been a part of many schools in the past, but this is the first time that I really feel like we have found a caring community at Ivy League. Both the parents and the school itself - it's just a wonderful, wonderful environment!

Posted September 18, 2011

My kids actually look forward to getting up before sunrise to go to this school. They're having a ton of fun, but they're also being challenged by caring, competent teachers. Ivy parents are involved, unpretentious and very friendly. In my mind, the only negative is there is no school uniform.

Posted September 1, 2011

The truth about this school is that it is a private school that is run by very nice people who know more about running a camp than anything else. There are 2 people in the administrative wing. One is not very involved and the other must deal with all the responsibilities of 10 + grade levels and hundreds of very demanding parents. Some of the teachers in this school are NOT New York state certified teachers and many of them join the staff with absolutely no experience. In this economic climate I suspect that this trend will continue. The preschool pragram is full of very talented and experienced teachers b/c the prinipal is a former prek teacher and her screening process for this part of the school is actually very good. This school operates with little money which means your child wil actually experience bigger classroom sizes when they are doubled up with other grade levels for specials and academic subjects. I would not however send my child there for elem or middle school since the resources, teacher experience, and lack of certification is a serious concern.

Posted March 18, 2011

Ivy League has been perfect for my children. They love getting up every morning to go to school! They are learning so much and building a great foundation. The teachers are fantastic and the families are all warm and welcoming. The curriculum is amazing ... french, spanish, mandarin, gymnastics .... plus since they have an outstanding camp, they kids get to use the playgrounds and fields.

Posted February 13, 2011

Ivy League pre-school is a fantastic, educational environment. We looked at a lot of schools and none quite compared. Kalee was reading at age 3 and loves math and music, all of which was fostered from the loving, encouraging teachers that she has had here. Our daughter loves it and has learned so much, we can't wait for our son to experience it too!

Posted February 9, 2011

"At the Ivy League School they focus on my son's strengths, not his weaknesses. They appreciate and praise him for who he is. They know where he excels and use these areas as stepping stones for learning and building his self esteem. They have also identified those areas in which he needs some support, and they gently, consistently and effectively help him with these skills. I get detailed feedback every day and really feel like a member of a team working to provide my son with the best school experience a parent could ask for."

Posted February 8, 2011

At Ivy League, our children have learned faster and with a rekindled love of learning. My husband and I love the close attention paid to individual needs, strengths and areas of challenge. This school fosters a proactive approach to building life-long learners by promoting encouragement rather than criticism, lauding children for their gifts while respectfully guiding them through rough areas - until they succeed!

Posted November 19, 2010

My oldest son entered the first grade not reading and finished on a 3rd grade reading level! My nursery school student is already reading! They are both learning mandrian. Plus ... they love going everyday!!

Posted November 19, 2010

I went to Ivy League for nursery school through third grade. It was a wonderful experience. The small classrooms allowed for individual attention so that you could work at your own level. The teachers and staff were invested in the well-being of each student. I found that Ivy League instilled an excellent work ethic - to do your individual best - at an early age that set me up for good work habits and motivation through the rest of my schooling (through law school). In addition, it was a healthy and supportive environment, free from the distractions of bullying and teasing by classmates.

Posted November 19, 2010

my two daughters attended ivy league school and camp.. my two grandsons now attend both school and camp. ivy league provides an excellent education in a very caring, nurturing and safe environment. both of my adult daughters still maintain strong friendships with friends made at ivy league.

Posted November 17, 2008

This is really a great school. MY kids love the summer programs too.

Posted July 26, 2005

The school has gives you the feeling that you are all a family. Everyone works together and knows your child. You get the personal attention which gives your child the confidence they need.

Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 21% N/A
Asian 7% N/A
Two or more races 4% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Swimming pool

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Linda Kaplan
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old

• Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Transportation options
  • provided from local district
  • Access to sports fields

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

211 Brooksite Drive