Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

My son transferred in from a private school per his request and is much happier at IS27. The principal and staff work very hard to ensure that children are in a safe, engaging and educational environment. My son and I are both very happy that we took the leap of faith and transferred him. He is in honors and from day one told me that the kids were better behaved than in the private school he left and he feels that he is getting a better education now than he was before. He has lego robotics and Spanish built into his schedule and loves the after school program which offers sports, lego robotics, dance, crafts, technology and math related programs four days a week. I have friends whose children are in the regular classes and their kids also love the school.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

The behavioral dean seems to be very on top of any issues that arise.

Supports LD students: Neutral

This does not affect us as a family

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

The principal Mr. Barone seems to be an excellent manager whose staff speak very highly of him. Students seem to have a lot of respect for him.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school encourages children to be kind to each other and seems to be very aware of any bullying issues and the staff are on the lookout for any issues.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My son and feel that he is getting a better education now and that the teachers are very supportive and want the kids to do well. He comes home with work that the teachers have taken the time to go over and correct so that he is constantly improving.

Amount of homework: Agree

I feel that my son gets just enough homework for his age.

In just 1 school year you can already see the Impact that Mr. Barone the new Principal of IS 27 has had. The school has a long way to go but they are definitely on the right track.

Numerous documentation of my daughter's incidents of being bullied are in school's file. 3 out of 4 months with her feeling scared because nothing was being done about it. The way this situation ended? A school transfer. This school's anti bully policy is pro bull! If you want a safe environment for your children, do your child a favor and do NOT enroll them in IS27 until there is a new Principal and new Deans that enforce better control over the safety of your children. By then, I'm sure, your kids will already be graduating college by the help of other proactive schools. Keep far away!! My husband, daughter and I could not believe how the faculty shrugged off and dismissed the fact that my daughter felt unsafe and in fear of her safety because kids can apparently be physical with no repercussions or consequences. P.S. Principal is so unprofessional and didn't even introduce himself or ask what our issue was when we walked into the general office at 6:30am. Inconsiderate and obnoxious, I rather pay for my daughter to go to a private school than her deal with the fear that no one will help her where she is SUPPOSED to feel and BE safe when not in my watch! Good RIDDANCE!!

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Teachers are great! I have a very strong negative opinion about the way Mr. Sherman (6th grade dean) and the "new" principal Matthew Barone handled my daughter's bullying problem.

Last modified Is 27 Anning S Prall is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.