Posted November 24, 2013
My oldest son graduated from PS 45 (and remembers it fondly) and my youngest son is in 4th grade. The education at PS 45 is top notch. The teachers are excellent and under the direction of Mrs. Chavez are encouraged to challenge the students with elements from Common Core way before it was a standard. The enrichment programs at PS 45 are excellent. There are art residencies that are different for every grade level, music programs, a swim program for second graders, and a reading program for higher level readers; all of which are just a few of the great enrichment programs offered at PS 45. Mrs. Chavez and rest of the staff are easily accessible to parents. My son absolutely enjoys going to school! He feels challenged and enjoys all of the enrichment programs he is involved in. I believe the education offered at PS 45 is well-balanced.

Posted November 23, 2013
I have 3 children at PS45 and am beyond thrilled with the education they are receiving. The "D" rating the school recently received was not justified as all of the data reflects student performance has greatly improved over the years even with the new,vigorous state tests. Common Core requirements were being implemented over the past four years with a tremendous amount of work on the part of Mrs Chavez and her amazing staff, long before anyone knew what Common Core was. The teachers are extremely committed with many coming in early and staying late. The children are happy to go to school. Mrs. Chavez is readily available to discuss any issues and welcomes suggestions to enhance the school. The school offers many opportunities for parent involvement. My children are receiving a wonderful education!

Posted November 23, 2013
I just read the review about being so happy with PS 65. My child was at the school of innovation. However only after a short few weeks I realized there was absolutely no innovation. There are no extras for the students at all. It is a nice small school but no innovation, no gym and administration very hard to talk to. At PS 45, the enrichment programs go above and beyond. The teachers are superior and the principal and aps are very assessible. I do agree there should be a more aggressive address check but we cannot all be lottery schools. Having music, violin, band, arts, architecture, snacktivities , swim, chess all in the school day makes this an A+ school. Just lacking parent involvement but so was 65. My children love PS 45 and are receiving a fantastic and well rounded school experience.

Ps 45 John Tyler 1

Posted November 22, 2013
Reviews are questionable. Look at the Test Scores. The majority of the students do not live in the district because the schools in their district are below standard. Apparently address verification does not take place at PS 45. There are a few very good teachers. Removed my child and he now attends the awesome PS 65 which is a lottery school. I was very lucky to have my child chosen.

Posted October 13, 2013
This school has made an incredible turn around in only a few short years. The children are safe, active and challenged by the staff to work hard. I have been extremely happy with the education my children have received. I have one child who just graduated and was accepted into a wonderful middle school thanks to ps 45. I still have two children in the school and can't say enough about how wonderful the school is. I find the parents with the complaints are the ones who never attend a PTA meeting or get involved. I am a working parent but stay involved and as a result know what the school is doing and planning. I am so happy to have this school in the neighborhood.

Posted October 06, 2013
I love PS 45 the curriculum and the enrichment programs are fantastic. They have an amazing music teacher for runs the marching band, choir, And violin. In today's day arts are being cut from Public schools but not at PS 45. There some Staff and teachers that need to go but overall the Pros outweigh the cons. There are some teachers and And staff that need to go but overall the new principal Mrs. Chavez is going an amazing job. Keep up the good Work!

Posted September 26, 2013
P.S. 45 JOHN TYLER ,is a great school.My grandson is now in the third grade and my granddaughter just started kindergarten.I am so impressed at the teachers in this school,my grandson is well above grade level in both reading and math because the teachers really care,and im sure my granddaughter will also be getting the quality of teaching.

Ps 45 John Tyler 4

Posted September 26, 2013
PS 45 is a great environment for all children. The staff and the teachers are there for all of the children of the school. The teachers are smart and are always learning new ways to teach the children. The administration is always working to make things better. If something is not right, the principal fixes it. The principal has improved many things at the school in the last couple of years. PS 45 is a wonderful learning environment for the children of the community!

Posted September 26, 2013
I am a father of 2 children in PS 45. I took my kindergarten child out of a school known for innovative learning and honestly there was no innovation at all. Most of the teachers in the school are amazing. I had issues with my third grader last year with another child and it was handled appropriately and in a manner consistent with the guidelines. The school is big but it has enrichment programs that now other school can offer my children. Music, dance, swim, architecture, chess, healthy snack no cook program, language singing, violin...every grade has at least two enrichment programs which coincided with the common core. Most of all, the administration does their best to keep their students safe and happy. My children love the SOAR program.

Posted September 26, 2013
The teachers are the best. There are so many enrichment programs for the kids. My children have had a great experience.

Ps 45 John Tyler
58 Lawrence Ave, Staten Island, NY  10310
Last modified Ps 45 John Tyler is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 45 John Tyler Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 79 reviews.