Bad
Good

Amount of homework: Agree

My daughter comes home with 3-5 pages per night. Sounds like a lot but it takes her about 30 min a night to complete.

I have to admit, I was originally disappointed that this was my daughter zoned school. I even went to other schools and begged them to make an exception and take her in. Then I spoke to a teacher who subs at different schools. She told me that 54 is one of the best schools on the island and the other schools I was trying to get her into weren't as good. After 3 months I have to say I am 90% happy. My daughter is reading on her own, comes home every day and does her homework on her own, never wants to miss a day of class. The only thing that I don't like is the PTA. I just feel it's very unorganized. I think they would benefit on having class moms to keep the class informed on events. I called the PTA 3 times to find out when they were having a retake of pictures, NEVER got a call back, and found out the DAY BEFORE when they were being taken. I do like the drives they have been holding PJ Day, Teddy Bear Drive. It's nice that they do for the community! Hopefully it will improve.

I am extremely disappointed with this school on a scale of 1-10 I would have to give it a 1 and thats being generous. It has changed drastically within the past three years, if the DOE doesn't revamp the school soon I see it being rated as one of the worst school's in NYC. The principal and the assistant principal have no leadership skills. There are many teachers in that school who speak to children very negatively and make indirect threats. I am very sad this last year my child will attend this school and its not ending in a good way. This is a time of excitement for the upcoming graduation and its more like a countdown to when we no longer have to deal with the black cloud known as PS 54.

My child started going to the school in Sept 2011. Its been ok for her because she can hold her own and scored very well on the performance tests. I am contemplating moving to private school however due to the large influx of foreigners to the school who speak very lil english...appears to be sucking the life out of school with all the needed "services" to keep up!!! I would definitely say the school is safe environment and the teachers have been pleasant and quality but have to be totally overwhelmed by the push to pass tests!!!

Athough there are attempts for make better changes, on a good day, all admin are barely acceptable and half the teachers in each grade are ok at best. There are 1 or 2 quality teachers in each grade. Way too much tolerance for teachers yelling and in the wrong profession. School needs new teachers who will try harder and stop complaining, get to work on time, teach the core. without always yelling at the kids. Out with the old in with the new and the school will be hoppin again. Need a much better music teacher and program. Very diverse a bit too diverse filling up Kumon to one up the others.PTA weighs in with their say a bit too much and get too much. SLT needs more of a say. Immigrants from about 6 different countries are coming to the year in droves year after year barely speaking english. Admin could be better at addressing issues need better staffing and programs. Admin does try though, lets have a good 2013-2014. Submitted by a parent

School needs higher standards. There are changes being made. Hopefully one is after school tutoring and all children get a chance at the cool jobs in the school not just the PTA children or vocal parents , nor just the head strong kids, nor just the blue collar service children. Maybe my children will get a run at a good job or grades this year because he made the grade and earned it. My childs teacher should not have been allowed to return to the classroom she yells not instructs.All Admin try but can do better at being reasonable, truthful and direct. Hopefully this year there admin will follow through on a issuse that needs to be addressed. Needs stronger staff not just loud harsh ones. If after school tutoring was offered I would feel better about the school and my son not getting lost and overlooked.

I agree with you about the change in priorities. The old Principal, Mrs. Castley really cared about the children.

This school used to be one of the best. My kids have been in this school since K. This year they were 3rd and 4th graders. Basically, they taught they kids how to take the state wide test rather than teaching basic language and math skills. If something was not on the test it wasn't taught. As a result my kids are no longer going to this school. The teachers also teach the same thing every year, it never changes.

Exactly my point! The kids who get clarity at home succeed. But what about the kids who don't? All I'm saying is that its great if your kids are doing well. They are obviously getting support at home. However, leadership should not depend on all parents being as supportive as you are. We cant let some kids fall through the cracks. I think the principal does not have her act together. She is unprofessional. I just don't see her as a leader. Its a good thing she has parents like you to carry her.

Good school, good leadership turning the school around in positive ways. Leadership is carrying the standards of the DOE. High standards academically and safety. The core learning continues, Lots of enrichment and differentiation.as the DOE expects.. NYDOE expects some teachers in all schools to be on a learning curve teaching a new core curriculum which is the new state test. The best solution to ensure student success is to have good clarity, good education, good behavioral practices at home and your child will find their way no matter what. Provide them with help at home or on your time after school. This school has a lot to offer and we all try our best. Each year the neighborhood is more and more diverse making a sense of community difficult. Some Families need to learn the language to help their children succeed.The school is better place this year and has been brought up from the fall 3 years ago from the last administration.

Last modified Ps 54 Charles W Leng is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.