Staten Island, NY
Students enrolled: 3,875

Posted June 12, 2014
I am a senior at Tottenville and I can honestly say this school is what you make of it, Granted in such a large school there is a certain amount of self control and discipline necessary to succeed but, if you are accountable for your actions and get involved this school is amazing. I can honestly say this has been the best 4 years of my life and I owe that to the amazing people at Tottenville. Obviously there are some issues but if you apply yourself there is no reason you can't succeed. This is probably not the school for you if you are unable/ unwilling to be involved and responsible those who are involved are the ones failing and roaming the hallways instead of going to class. This school has an amazing sense of pride in all of their and I feel bad for anyone who deprives them self of this experience.

Posted March 31, 2014
AS a parent I advise everyone to keep their kids out of this school. This is a heavy duty drug school, my kids have 9 dead friends. They do drugs right in the classrooms and nothing is done. Teachers know, the Principal knows but nothing is done. Safety agents salute the kids as they cut out of the building. Weed is smoked out in the open, no one cares and that is the least of it. My calls were never answered and when I went up to school no one wanted to deal with me. With almost 4000 kids and parents that get up in your face because they are connected or on the job this will never get better. I don't know how it could get any worse. The football team uses, they expect them in SIUH ED. Teachers will never call you they are treated so badly all day they don't care. Many of them use themselves. Or shoot their husbands in the head (google it),

Posted June 10, 2011
One of a kind school i went there from freshmen year to half my junior year and moved to florida. I played football there it was a wonderful academic and athletic experience i move to florida and now the education blows i enjoied every day at tottenville they pushed kids to the limit challenged kids every day nofights no confilicts no drama just a great school the people that say it suck are the ones who arent involved to be a shmendel do something and play football or something itsa great team and makes it go by a lot faster

Tottenville High School 2

Posted April 28, 2011
I attended Tottenville and found it to be a subpar high school. Once I was enrolled in a top-50 university, I realized how ill-prepared I was for college. I was a member of Tottenville's Institute, which is the special program for academically gifted students, and other than Latin and some advanced math concepts, I learned very little. Worse, I learned it all from teachers who seemed less than qualified to be in their positions. It scares me to think how much less those outside of the Institute are learning. To be fair, I did enjoy Tottenville's extracurricular offerings, like SING and spring musical. The performing arts program at the school is above average, which was the main reason I attended. The sports programs also seem to be above average. The surrounding neighborhood is very safe, so there's another plus. But I didn't feel safe at the school (a glass bottle was hurled at me by another student from atop a one-story section of the building--why he was allowed to get on the roof, I'll never know--and there were fights in the hallways on a regular basis). The school is disappointment to students on all ends of the academic spectrum, so please send your children elsewhere.

Posted November 16, 2010
I dislike the school. Granted my child was not a model student; however, the school could have intervened. When I on my own- found my child cutting, the schools verbatim response was 'there are 63 doors we cant watch everyone.' The school is too large for the staff to handle. The security guards are too friendly with the kids because they are powerless. It is too easy to cut class, abuse teachers and get lost at Tottenville HS. My messages to the school were never returned, and I went directly to the school several times in person to try to get help. The worst things about the school is they push programs such as GED right away because they want to keep their numbers up...that is all they care about.

Tottenville High School 4

Posted July 19, 2010
THS is one of best schools around. The people and/or students who gave it a poor review are merely sour grapes. If you are a student who is mature enough to go to class, behave and take advantage of the many programs this school offers you will shine. Yes it is easy to cut out and get "lost" but that is the FAULT OF THE STUDENT and the UNINVOLVED PARENT. The resources are there should you choose to utilize them. Don't be a slacker! If your parents aren't available to help you there are many fine guidance counselors, assistant principals and teachers who will gladly assist you! This is one of the most important times of your life which can also be quite enjoyable. Be a PIRATE PROUDLY and forever!!

Tottenville High School 0

Posted April 15, 2010
I have moxed feelings about the staff at tottenville high school. i alkso feel alot of children are sent out to ged programs and not suported in any way from there guidance counselors.i feel the school is more concerned about there rating then the student body and there needs.i feel the school. is over whelmingly to much for any one staff to handle.as a parent and having three children attend tottanville.i feel all students needs should be met and never turned away

Posted March 31, 2010

Posted October 19, 2009

Posted July 10, 2009
The school isn't as much of a joke as everyone is making it out to be. It still has the lowest rate of drop out of non-specialized schools on the island. It is tempting and INCREDIBALY easy, and tempting to cut class, harass teachers, vandalize property, ect. and more than likely get away with it. However all that being said the school can offer some great well funded extracuricular programs and a decent environment for education. I myself barely graduated by the skin of my teeth due to the aformentioned temptations, but the school isn't really to blame. If there are any parents actually reading this in concideration on weather or not to send your teens to this school then you honestly should. But know that you do this at your own risk, watch for the warning signs, (they're given it out 3 times a semister) lol

Tottenville High School
100 Luten Avenue, Staten Island, NY  10312
Last modified Tottenville High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Tottenville High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 54 reviews. Top