Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

This is possibly the worst school on the island. The new principal can care less about students unless it makes the school look good. My little brother was encouraged to drop out of high school! Guidance told him there was no hope and that he should just drop out (Hes 16!) They constantly lie and cheat, also. Guidance never returns any phone calls from parents, and they're constantly lying to you if you go down and attempt to speak with them. The principal threatens to fire teachers if they don't strictly listen to his orders, and I've even seen him racially profile students and harass them. He cares more about phones and his precious dress code than the safety of the students, considering i have many videos of fights inside of class rooms and students even being choked out while staff did little to stop it. The amount of weapons and drugs found in the school is insane as well. No school that's crawling with that many police officers and DTs should continue to have a drug problem this bad.

This new principal ruined the school. They are more concerned with what the students are wearing than what they're carrying in their lockers, a student had a bullet? But no that is clearly not important! The student would probably get detention because they wore a tank top not because of bringing a BULLET to school. Disgusting

Develops character: Disagree

They don't treat these students LIKE students... more like objects. Bring back the old principal, please.

I am a senior at Tottenville and I can honestly say this school is what you make of it, Granted in such a large school there is a certain amount of self control and discipline necessary to succeed but, if you are accountable for your actions and get involved this school is amazing. I can honestly say this has been the best 4 years of my life and I owe that to the amazing people at Tottenville. Obviously there are some issues but if you apply yourself there is no reason you can't succeed. This is probably not the school for you if you are unable/ unwilling to be involved and responsible those who are involved are the ones failing and roaming the hallways instead of going to class. This school has an amazing sense of pride in all of their and I feel bad for anyone who deprives them self of this experience.

AS a parent I advise everyone to keep their kids out of this school. This is a heavy duty drug school, my kids have 9 dead friends. They do drugs right in the classrooms and nothing is done. Teachers know, the Principal knows but nothing is done. Safety agents salute the kids as they cut out of the building. Weed is smoked out in the open, no one cares and that is the least of it. My calls were never answered and when I went up to school no one wanted to deal with me. With almost 4000 kids and parents that get up in your face because they are connected or on the job this will never get better. I don't know how it could get any worse. The football team uses, they expect them in SIUH ED. Teachers will never call you they are treated so badly all day they don't care. Many of them use themselves. Or shoot their husbands in the head (google it),

Ms., Tuzio is great advisor and she challenge institute kids. However other advisors are horrible. They never pick up the phone and they don't call back because "have nothing to say". School is okey if you child can challenge himself and doesn't need to be pushed all the time. St. Joseph of the Sea high school is good in pushing your kids and cleaning your wallet.

One of a kind school i went there from freshmen year to half my junior year and moved to florida. I played football there it was a wonderful academic and athletic experience i move to florida and now the education blows i enjoied every day at tottenville they pushed kids to the limit challenged kids every day nofights no confilicts no drama just a great school the people that say it suck are the ones who arent involved to be a shmendel do something and play football or something itsa great team and makes it go by a lot faster

I attended Tottenville and found it to be a subpar high school. Once I was enrolled in a top-50 university, I realized how ill-prepared I was for college. I was a member of Tottenville's Institute, which is the special program for academically gifted students, and other than Latin and some advanced math concepts, I learned very little. Worse, I learned it all from teachers who seemed less than qualified to be in their positions. It scares me to think how much less those outside of the Institute are learning. To be fair, I did enjoy Tottenville's extracurricular offerings, like SING and spring musical. The performing arts program at the school is above average, which was the main reason I attended. The sports programs also seem to be above average. The surrounding neighborhood is very safe, so there's another plus. But I didn't feel safe at the school (a glass bottle was hurled at me by another student from atop a one-story section of the building--why he was allowed to get on the roof, I'll never know--and there were fights in the hallways on a regular basis). The school is disappointment to students on all ends of the academic spectrum, so please send your children elsewhere.

I dislike the school. Granted my child was not a model student; however, the school could have intervened. When I on my own- found my child cutting, the schools verbatim response was 'there are 63 doors we cant watch everyone.' The school is too large for the staff to handle. The security guards are too friendly with the kids because they are powerless. It is too easy to cut class, abuse teachers and get lost at Tottenville HS. My messages to the school were never returned, and I went directly to the school several times in person to try to get help. The worst things about the school is they push programs such as GED right away because they want to keep their numbers up...that is all they care about.

THS is one of best schools around. The people and/or students who gave it a poor review are merely sour grapes. If you are a student who is mature enough to go to class, behave and take advantage of the many programs this school offers you will shine. Yes it is easy to cut out and get "lost" but that is the FAULT OF THE STUDENT and the UNINVOLVED PARENT. The resources are there should you choose to utilize them. Don't be a slacker! If your parents aren't available to help you there are many fine guidance counselors, assistant principals and teachers who will gladly assist you! This is one of the most important times of your life which can also be quite enjoyable. Be a PIRATE PROUDLY and forever!!

Last modified Tottenville High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.