Staten Island, NY

Posted April 22, 2015
One of the best decisions for my childrens' education I made was leaving St. Clare for another catholic school. After sometime I can say that St. Clare breeds a dysfunctional environment that can promote unfair favoritism based on nothing real. The children with the highest average are not the smartest, the children picked for the best parts are not the most talented, and the children praised for there accomplishments are not the most accomplished. Neither are they generators of new ideas. In leaving sometimes the grass is not aways greener elsewhere but sometimes it is .This catholic school administration does not have the same backbone in handling aggressive parents as the one I attend now . I say this in hopes the school wakes up from it's sleep.

St Clare School 4

Posted April 05, 2015
St clare is a great school with a focus on academics. The principle and assistant principles are all warm, and kind, as are the teachers. This is a place you know your child is safe. My younger son is a special needs child who needs a seit. That said, i would not recommend sending your special needs preschooler here. The classes are too large and extremely vigorous. They don't do much learning through play. My son was very stressed, and didn't like school. We decided to switch him mid year, and he loves his new school. He is happy and the environment is less formal than st clare. So if you have a child who can sit and begin serious lessons at age 3, then this is the place for them. If your child needs a more flexible environment, this is not the place for them. Also the reason i give 4 stars and not 5, is because for my first grader who is very smart, the classes are too large. He likes to share and be integral in the class, and with 34 kids in his class. ... he is just one of many. I agree with the smarter kids are a little bored, the weaker students struggle. There are too many kids for then tailor the program for your child.

St Clare School 2

Posted March 06, 2015
St. Clare's School has a dedicated principal and a lovely vice principal. Religion is given a high priority as the children attend Mass regularly. The school has a great ans diverse after school programs for both girls and boys. The Robotics program is outstanding. They also have a strong sports program that includes track, basketball and swimming. With all this said, the school also has it's downfalls. The student teacher ratio can go up to 43 students per teacher despite promises of a cap at 40. Needless to say, the above average student isn't challenged, the average student are forced to get outside help from tutors, and the students who struggle are lost. For the most part, St Clare's has exemplary teachers but it does have its exceptions. Upper grade subjects such as Math and Language leave much to be desired. The most notable downfall and the reason I gave the school only two stars is the obscene display of favoritism. Year after year From K- 8th the same students are selected for parts in plays, readings, ceremonies etc... This ostracism of children who are less than "golden" is damaging, wrong and doesn't belong in a catholic school.

Posted September 21, 2014
With regret I can only give one star , I say regret because my family and I go back 30 + years w/ the school and church and now it was my child's turn to learn and grow there. The school would not know this or bother to find out because The faculty of my child's class was only concerned with a few children. I blame their need to satisfy a few over bearing parents making no room or time for the rest of the class. School is not a competition or a popularity contest , it should not play favorites, It should look at itself the through the eyes of all the children , not just the aggressive ego seeking dominator parent who hang around the school what feels like 24/7, if it wants to promote spiritual growth. The school is starting to show signs of being over run by a collection of agressive self serving parents , which the facility of the lower grades seems to have no answer to this mindset other than giving into their demands .Needless to say it was not a good experience and my children no longer attend.

Posted September 07, 2014
St. Clare preschool Staten Island. Not what it use to be, a lot of changes, not for the better. My child had a very inexperienced teacher, bottom line my child suffered the entire school year because of this teacher. The teacher had her favorites as well as her assistant my child picked up on this, not being one of the teachers favorites and it was a terrible experience for my child and for me as well. They made my child feel unwanted, my child cried didn't want to go back. The educational director told me one thing and did another . You pay a lot of money for this school only to have headaches, shouldn't be, the teachers should be able to do their jobs and handle the kids without having to get the parents involved over every little petty thing. I can go on and on, overall not happy. I'm sorry my child had such a bad experience there, I should have switched schools from the start.

Posted October 29, 2013
Nothing like it used to be. Change is okay but lying and sneaking around to take peoples money is a shame especially for a catholic instituition. They kept all the parents in the dark. It is no longer loving caring And warm it is cold and full of amateurs who have minimal experience. So disappointed and upset . I feel taken. They manipulated me and made me to look a fool. You are better off at upk

Posted October 05, 2013
This is the worst school ever.. The first yr my daughter attended the preschool I loved it. The second yr all changes were made for the worst not better. I paid my tuition and had to pull my child out the first wk of school for a sick parent and when I returned they gave her spot away and asked us to leave the building. My daughter was crushed only knowing this school I had to now explain to her what happened. This use to be a loving school who cared for your children in the first yrs of there school life. But now they got to rich and uppy and don't care about your feeing anymore or the children just the money... The program also changed a lot of moms are not happy and will not be returning..

Posted August 11, 2013
This school is wonderful. The teachers & staff are dedicated. My children & I love St. Clare school.

Posted May 17, 2013
an awesome institution for your child to receive a Catholic based elementary school education. The principal is fantastic. She is so hands-on. She knows the students and parent(s) personally by name. Very warm and approachable. The teachers are a perfect blend of "new and old school". Very experienced and nurturing, they are there to provide your child with superior learning. The parents are involved in so many aspects of the school. Fund raising, sports, attendance for all plays, concerts etc.; they are truly an integral part of the St. Clare community. The parish as a whole is strong and tightly knit. Your child can make lifelong friends who have common values and interests. My son is in the 7th grade and has been in St. Clare's since preschool and I have not one single regret. He is a better person for being a St. Clare's student. I am not going to lie... the curriculum is vigorous. It has also been referred to as "intense" by some. There is homework every night, tests daily, and projects throughout the year. To some, it may seem excessive, but this school truly prepares the student for High School. Their chances of being overwhelmed as freshman are slim.

Posted October 21, 2010
Because when all the preeschools discriminated my child because she has juvenile diabetes St. Clares opened their arms to us and to our child and made her feel special and loved They teach our children love for another how to be a good humans and good citizens They teach them our history and our culture but mostly they teach our children love and compation for human beings I will recomend St. Clares to any parent our Favorites are Miss Diana, Miss Karen, Miss Pat, Miss Daniele and our devoted and dedicated principal Miss Julie

St Clare School