Bad
Good

Posted August 18, 2014
The school administration is excellent, very involved and attentive. The PTA is also very involved and great advocates for the students. Almost all of the teachers my children have had are great as well (going into 3rd grade and Kindergarten). The older (irrelevant) reviews are based on a school and leadership that is no longer involved. Exceptional teachers - Ms. Crespo, Ms. Sajdak and I'm sure many others!

Posted August 07, 2014
Cross Hill Academy has grown in leaps and bounds. I have seen how under new leadership CHA withstand the filtering process which helped cultivate and produce what is CHA today. I love the staff and the environment of CHA. I can send my children to school with an assurance that they will receive all the tools needed to be a great student. My children has been attending CHA since 2010 and I heave seen how the teachers come together to create a learning environment that is well balanced for all students. Not only is Cross Hill Academy a wonderful place to send your child but CHA has also created a place that is loving, inviting and safe.

Posted July 09, 2014
Cross Hill Academy,a new school 4 years ago,has certainly proven to be a wonderful & encouraging school.It has outstanding & quality teachers.Typically, in schools you may have 1 or 2 teachers that set themselves apart from their peers,however at Cross Hill Academy; there are so many great teachers.These teachers truly care & are passionate about academics. They do the right thing for their students.The administrators are strong leaders with great vision for the school.It s a compassionate & diversified school.I m impressed with how dignified the school handles challenges & the progress it s made.This school has come a long way and we need to embrace the positive that this school offers- why not talk about the good, it's part of our city? As a parent, I m proud that my children attend this school & more importantly, I know they are happy & excited about learning. It s very difficult to put into words but if I had to sum it up in one sentence, I was hesitant 4 years ago about the uncertainty of putting my child at Cross Hill Academy mainly because it was a new turn around school; I took a chance, & today I wouldn t think of any other school that I would want them to be at.

Posted May 30, 2014
Hi, My son attended Cross Hill Academy in 2012 for only half a year because we moved from FL. My son was already behind from past schools BUT i most say that Ms. Sherman did what ever was in her power and always communicated to me what she was doing and what should do... Her effort in my son made the difference from 20's and 30's my son manage to bring his grades up to 80's and 90's!! he successfully passed to the next level 4th grade. MY mistake was changing him from school!!! there was an opening at the Charter School of Educational Excellence so I thought even better! boy was i wrong .. they only go by the book... no individual interest , they keep moving forward and they all about protocols... sad to say my son was held back to 4th grade... I'm transferring him again to Cross Hill Academy! where i know my son will get the education he needs!

Posted November 26, 2012
This school has changed since 2010 when the old Emerson School was closed and the new school started as Cross Hill Academy. It started with Kindergarten, First, Second and Seventh and Eight Grades only. None of the reviews here are accurate anymore since they represent Emerson and not Cross Hill. The school has a whole new set of administrators, teachers and staff - so it is a different school in all aspects. My daughter has been going to this school from KG in 2010 and she is now in the second grade. Her teachers were awesome - plenty of attention & enough homework to prepare them for the tougher grades ahead. Her current second grade teacher won the Teacher of the Year for the entire Yonkers School District. The Principal is well spoken, qualified and has a great personality - he certainly commands respect of the parents and his staff. From my perspective, the little things matter too - the school events like plays & parades were well arranged and coordinated by the teachers and staff and very importantly - started right on time - all of it shows that there is tremendous co-operation among the entire staff. I thank you for creating this great learning environment in Yonkers.

Cross Hill Academy 1

Posted June 13, 2012
hey i was a former student attending emerson a.k.a cross hill and i agree with the 13% of the angry people here by saying this school and yonker shool disrect has a terrible ....there was fight every week ,lunch detention everyday ...please dont send your hildren there unless you want they to come home to you crying and bloody faces

Posted March 04, 2005
everyone who is reading this please take my words seriously, emerson is a wonderful school. It has many academical programs and afterschool curricular activities_ parents may feel very secured when their child is in this school. As long as the child knows his/her limits they will have a wonderful time. The teachers are experts in teaching and they repeat work as often as necessary. The staff don't rush your childeren, they give them time but not the students sweet time. There are rules due to dresscode, behaviour etc... but you must realize its only for their good. The parents get involved a lot. We let them know every step of their childs' success. After school activities are numerous and transportation is available. They also provide teacher help after school to move your child further. In emerson we have 2 - 3 honor classes in each grade, where the students learn more!

Posted March 04, 2005
Dear all readers emerson is a very good school. The teachers are involved in their students work and they are there for every step of your childs success_ you might've heard many rumors as in the fights but you should know it takes two hands to make a noise, so unless your child is involved in a fight or has misbehaved he/she will not get any consequences. The rule applies for everyone principles son or the janitors daughter. DOES NOT MATTER. But anyways it has many extra curriculas avtivities and the parents always recieve up to date reviews of your childs success. They have after school help so your child can stay up to date with us. they don't just provide work they also have dances and proms and bakesale and etc... you'll only know when your child is in here. He/she works hard, sure to be scholars. Choose emerson! Thanks

Cross Hill Academy 1

Posted June 23, 2003
Parents please don't believe what you read about Emerson Middle School. This is the first year my daughter has attended, and will be the last. I could not believe what I saw with my own two eyes when I visited the school in May 2003. Children walking through the halls during class time, not one class I passed by on the second floor were in their chairs or doing any work, and substitute teachers sitting in corners reading the newspaper. I decided to visit the school to try and resolve an issue with my daughter who was suspended because she was trying to defend herself from a boy in her class. She was told that if she had gone to a teacher, things would've been different. How could she alert a teacher when out of her 7 teachers, 5 are substitutes (we all remember what we did when a substitute teacher lead the class... Nothing!) Obviously while the little boy was bothering her in the classroom, the teacher thought nothing of it. To make my point quickly, the school is too overcrowded, teachers are overwhelmed and have no control over the kids, and they have cut funding so badly - there are no extracurricular activities for the children. Someone should take the time and update Emerson's website so that parents logging on who would like to enroll their children will know the truth. My daughter's grades have never been so low in all her years of school (mind you, she started off the school year on the honor roll... so much for that). So, in closing, if you're serious about your child's education, this is not the school your child should attend.

Cross Hill Academy
160 Bolmer Avenue, Yonkers, NY  10703
Last modified Cross Hill Academy is a Public school that serves grades PK-6, 8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.