Asheville Catholic School

Private | PK-8

Living in Asheville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $235,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $750.

Sweep tile

Posted March 13, 2014

Asheville catholic school, is a great school. I have been there for 10 years, and have never had a bad experience! I have learned SO much and had so many amazing opportunities! I don't want to leave ACS behind, but I know I have to :( I am completely prepared for high school and am completely confident I'll do well.

Posted February 12, 2013

I have a child in this great school of ACS. She has had her share of problems when she first came here. That has all turned around for her here at ACS, because of the feeling of being welcome by her teachers, and the students. She went from being just an average stundent in her grades to an A-B student. She is now a happy girl, and enjoys going to school. She is involed in after school programs, and likes being challenge in her school work and home work. I'm glad we put her in this great school.

Posted January 17, 2013

Asheville Catholic School is a small school with bossy and annoying parents. There are cliques throughout the school and my child has never felt welcomed. As a parent I was not approached by other parents in my child's class. Being new to Asheville I thought that having my child in a small school would be a great opportunity to socialize and makes friendships. The academics are somewhat challenging but not as challenging as those in our other parochial school. The teachers at Asheville CAtholic are not top notch and most of them are old and not on top of their games. As to administration, the principal was very professional and eager to continue to improve the school. I am reconsidereing my child's reinrollment in the school. The unfriedly students and parents are a deterent.

Posted July 10, 2012

Having a background in education and, admittedly, being a picky parents, we have found Asheville Catholic, not perfect, but absolutely the most challenging school in the area. Our children have been accepted into the school and encouraged to work to their potential. While a few classes are getting too large, many classes are smaller and the overall size of the school allows students to be known by many adults and to make friends across age groups. While I agree that a few students should be dismissed for behavioral reasons, we have found that public schools have a far greater problem in this area, as well as many more expensive private schools. Moreover, our children are minorities and, frankly, while the numbers are small, the percentage of racial diversity at ACS is better than the public school less than a mile from my home. So many things are relative to your own experiences. Check all of your options. ACS is our best option, even with the tuition, hands down.

Posted June 20, 2012

ACS academics have declined. There are teachers that are allowed to remain, year after year, despite parent complaints and blatant evidence of poor teaching skills. Many teachers are disrespectful and insulting to the children and ignore the parents. They advocate capital punishment, taking away recess from the entire class for the sins of a consistent few. The tolerance for bad behavior is high, and the repeat offenders are allowed to come back year after year, driving out the well behaved children. Lots of bullying and disruption. They also consistently reward the same kids over and over, not encouraging the development of the quieter ones. Since there is one class per grade, the dynamics of the classroom never change. If you're unfortunate enough to have an unruly large class, you will be stuck with them until 8th grade. They also never change classes- they do art, music, eat lunch and have almost every class in the same room. I hoped that a Catholic institution would walk the walk, but was consistently shown otherwise - and the diocesan constraints, esp. financial, are incapacitating. There are a few engaged teachers, and fairly good parent involvement- the reason for 2 stars.

Posted June 8, 2011

It is the first time that I want to take my time to write a review on something. But ACS really impressed us. We arrived from abroad so it was not easy to find a school in Asheville. After visiting many schools we finally chose ACS. It was quite a big effort for us financially but we do not regret it. The teachers are so amazing, the environment is excellent and great and most important values for life are taught to the children. Our child is so happy to go there everyday that we would be totally unable to change. We simply love the school and we congratulate the teachers and the Director for their wonderful job. This is second home for our child, and a wonderful family and community.

Posted September 16, 2010

Bullying is a big problem at Asheville Catholic School. We had hoped a small school with 1 class per grade would provide an intimate learning community for our child, as was promised. What we found was isolation, intimidation and no support from staff on our repeated attempts to remedy the hostile environment our child faced each day. A child who is bullied is not free to learn, no matter how academically "excellent" the institution may appear on paper. Lack of diversity and punitive teaching methods are other reasons I give this school a poor rating.

Posted February 26, 2010

We are a new family at ACS. After being in another local school, we were pleasantly surprised at the level of educational opportunities and genuine nurture for our children. It is refreshing. Our children are now thriving!

Posted March 30, 2009

My husband and I (probably more me) agonized over where to send our daughters to school: public or private. We finally decided on ACS because we knew they would get good education and would also learn about God and all His goodness. They get Spanish, music and art every week. And every day they get PE and recess. I love that I can walk in the school any time of the school day and am made to feel welcome. There are so many opportunties to volunteer. I love being able to see my girls during the school day. They participate in an Outreach program. Each class gives back to the community in some way. First grade takes care of animals. Second grade goes to an area retirement home to interact with the Retirees. I have made so many great friends at ACS. I am so happy we chose ACS.

Posted November 22, 2006

I loved this school. It gave me a great education. Thank-you.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 8, 2005

As a parent in the school for more many years I have found it to be excellent education as evidenced by outstanding Iowa test scores and graduate s performance in high school. Academics are emphasized, with a high percentage of the upper grade students eligible to participate in Duke s TIP or MAP program. Students develop an understanding of service and compassion. Several active & successful after school events such as Battle of the Books, Sunshine Math, Basketball, Chess, and Drama add to the overall experience. I feel the school is made stronger by their commitment to work in a team with parents and children to achieve quality learning. They offer many opportunities for you to be a part of your children s education.

Posted September 9, 2003

Warm and nuturing environment. Excellent preparation for public or private high school honors. Emphsis on service to others.

Asian 3% N/A
American Indian/Alaskan Native 0% 2%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Charlotte

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

12 Culvern Street