Asheville, NC

Posted June 04, 2014
My daughter joined the middle school in 7th grade. Last night she graduated 8th grade. We were so moved as she gave her graduation speech along side her classmates. The individuality and poise that these teenagers displayed was such a pleasure to witness. The students spoke about the support from their teachers, their strong connection to each other, and their excitement about the next challenge in their lives. We have been very pleased with the experience our daughter has had at Rainbow. Her teachers knew her strengths and her vulnerabilities and she has similiarly come to know herself. Middle school can be a delicate time, at rainbow the kids have grown into themselves beautifully. It is a very rare educational experience where the whole child is encouraged to soar in all dimensions. We are extremely grateful to this dedicated staff and community!!

Posted November 08, 2013
Having had three kids cycle through this amazing school over the years, I remain ever more impressed with the quality of education that happens at Rainbow Community School on a daily basis. The teachers are outstanding people who love what they do-they inspire our children to become the very best version of themselves they can be. My kids have developed a true love of learning in an environment that nurtures more than simply academic excellence- Rainbow fosters a deeper engagement of oneself with the community and environment. I am so grateful to this community that has helped me to grow as a parent along with my children's development.

Posted November 07, 2013
I was so worried about my first-born starting Kindergarten. I spent months visiting every school in the area and taking multiple tours at all of the different options. I can't say that I was completely convinced Rainbow would be right for her before she started but I did feel that it was our best choice. Now, about two months into her Kindergarten year, I can say that I am happier at Rainbow than I ever imagined possible. Choosing a school for my child was one of the most important decisions I think I will ever make as a parent and seeing how incredibly happy my daughter is at Rainbow makes me feel great every time I drop her off. She is absolutely thriving there educationally, emotionally, socially, and in every way possible. I couldn't be happier or more grateful for having access to this amazing school here in Asheville.

Posted November 06, 2013
We have two children at Rainbow Community School. I feel like I did my homework when researching and touring schools in our area. There is a variety of good choices and the process can be overwhelming for parents. We found Rainbow and it is the education we dreamed of for our children and has exceded our expectations. Rainbow offers a rich, creative curriculum, excellent arts and cultural programs and attention to good citizenship and community service are just a few. Our family is thrilled to be a part of this vibrant academic community.

Posted November 06, 2013
This is the premier alternative, holistic school in Asheville, by far. Great teachers, wonderful curriculum, lots of hands on learning, emphasis on contemplation, environmental stewardship, social awareness, service learning and strong academics. There is a real interest in learning here, and in encouraging kids to be curious and confident. Very emotionally safe environment, strong social values about working together, helping each other, developing empathy. No cliques, no bullying, but on the contrary, kids learn conflict mediation, clear communication tools, and respect for differences. Administration and director with real vision about innovation in education. Very cutting edge and based on latest research on what kids need to thrive, but also based on the simple concept that each child is unique and will thrive if their natural curiosity and ability to grow are encouraged. The small class size makes project based, experiential learning possible, carefully tailored to the student's developmental stage and style of learning. I cannot speak highly enough of the wonderful quality education this school offers across the board. Beautiful campus too, you should see the new playground!

Posted August 08, 2013
I cannot imagine a richer or more nurturing educational experience than the one my daughter is having at Rainbow. I have never in my life experienced teachers like the ones at this school. Without exception the teachers are highly skilled, authentic, nurturing, kind and fabulous at what they do! Each year her teachers have been very different, but she has always felt honored and valued. She is being taught to think critically, be contemplative and explore the academic material in ways that resonate with her. Because of this, she truly connects with the material and gets excited about learning! The importance this school places on social, emotional, moral and spiritual development is invaluable. I feel like she is truly learning how to be a good world citizen and a compassionate human being. I have seen tremendous growth in her academically as well, and she is performing above and beyond what I would have expected at her age. I credit this school's holistic approach, attentiveness to the unique learning styles of different children and the passion and dedication of the teachers. I wish I could have received my education at a place like this.

Posted July 25, 2013
My daughter graduated 8th grade at Rainbow after 7 years of an excellent holistic learning experience. She will enter the honors program in public high school not only academically well prepared for success, but emotionally and socially confident. Because of the school wide math program at Rainbow, graduates from her class will enter high school Math I, Math II or Math III in 9th grade. And because of the excellent Spanish program, she is prepared for high school Spanish II. Her most significant experience at Rainbow however, has been her relationship with her teachers and her development as a lifelong learner. All of her teachers responded authentically and with kindness to her unique individuality. This experience was vital during her adolescence. In the rigorous learning environment of the Omega Program, teenagers are empowered to continue their journey of self awareness and inquiry. My daughter was inspired to think deeply and critically, to collaborate with peers, to honor and respect the differences and opinions of others, to find her own voice and speak it, to feel pride in her accomplishments, and to share her gifts and talents with the greater community.

Posted July 24, 2013
My eldest daughter attended Rainbow Mountain from preschool to 8th grade and is now at the local public school. My second daughter is in the upper elementary program (so we've been a part of the school for 13+ yrs). We have had a wonderful experience. No other school addresses all the child developments like Rainbow Mountain does. We greatly appreciate the whole child focus. As a result, my daughters have been very successful academically and socially. My daughters also understand themselves as learners. The self-assessment essays that my daughters have written about themselves as learners was overwhelmingly impressive. I highly recommend Rainbow to parents that are wanting an education that not only addresses the academic realm but also the social, emotion, creative, physical and spiritual developments of their child. The classrooms are also beautiful and engaging learning environments.

Posted July 24, 2013
We love the nurturing, creative, and academically rigorous environment provided at Rainbow. We have two kids who have been at Rainbow for 5 years and we've been continually pleased with the level of professionalism from the teachers and administration. Our children are honored for who they naturally are, challenged in areas of potential growth and expected to make a positive difference in our world. The holistic approach with a thematic and integrated curriculum is an amazing way to educate children and one that truly develops the whole child. We feel blessed to send our children to Rainbow!

Posted December 06, 2011
Rainbow Mountain is an amazing school! My daughter has been there for just over a year. The school has excellent academics and educates the child holistically. I do not have words to convey what a superb school it is, the teachers, administration and staff are all outstanding educators. They get to know each child as an individual and help them reach their full potential, whilst also teaching them to be a viable part of their family, school, and wider community. Thank you Rainbow!!!

Rainbow Mtn. Children's School
574 Haywood Road, Asheville, NC  28806
Last modified Rainbow Mtn. Children's School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Rainbow Mtn. Children's School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top