Bad
Good

McAlpine is a wonderful school with a true sense of community and family. Staff goes above and beyond to help students day to day and to support our families and staff. It's a wonderful place to be.

McAlpine is a warm, inviting school where all children are challenged. My third grader does things in math that blow my mind! His teacher works with small groups at their own level so all get what they need. At our previous south charlotte school, the high kids worked on their own because their test scores were secure. At McAlpine they care about teaching and challenging all children. It is refreshing!

In response to 03/17/2014 Post: My goodness, Woman, talk to your child. I have autism in my family. I can tell you that as soon as a mother gives up on the difficult task of communicating, the child suffers. Your comments insulting. I have always found the teaching staff at McAlpine among the most caring, loving and professional individuals I know.

McAlpine is the BEST school I have even had my children enrolled in! The teachers are supportive, informative and fun. My Children are on fire for learning! I have one child who completed school there and is in the 8th grade, he loves going back to see his old teachers (my 4th and 2nd grade children still attend) The office staff is helpful and friendly. The environment at McAlpine is one of family and friendship. The children are happy and they thrive. This year a new Principal has come on board and I can't say I like or dislike her as I haven't gotten to know her. She has introduced herself every time she has seen me though and I find that very inviting. She also ended the AR tests (thank goodness! If you have an avid reader you will understand this) Parent involvement could be better but it is not horrible. We are moving at the end of this school year and I am sad to leave! I have recently considered homeschooling the children as we haven't found a school in the entire CMS system that has half the atmosphere. I have a step child who went to a 10 rated school in CMS and I would NEVER send my children to that "stuffy" school. McAlpine is a gem hidden away and kept secret!

McAlpine Elementary might be the best kept secret in Ballantyne, I had three children at this school. Last year was our first year and we fell in love. The level of engagement by the entire staff at this school and the caring about the children that attend has amazed us. We left an IB international school when we moved here, I was very worried about the adjustment, but it was without cause. The teachers here not only made the adjustment achievable, my oldest in 5th went from struggling student with a possible ADD diagnosis to the McAlpine Honor Roll. They had a 504 accommodation in place within 3 months to provide what he need for success. HIs confidence soared and so did his excitement about school work. This year I have a 4th and 2nd grader, and they have blossomed even more. I am continually amazed by the activities in learning that are presented and when I pick up my nine year old and he talks about all he has learned in the day I am speechless. Engaged doesn t begin to cover what is happening with these 4th graders. We have moved enough to know these numbers in the rating are just that, numbers. They do not reflect the experience your child will have. Thank You McA!

This school is fantastic and deserves a higher rating than 7 for sure! The teachers are great and the new principal has brought some wonderful new energy that will surely enable McAlpine go from Very Good to Great. Excited for the year ahead.

We enrolled our son from Dec 2012 and I must say that it is an excellent school that provides good training to students in a manner they enjoy. They have a balance of learning, field trips and fun. My son loves going to school everyday. The teachers are very dedicated and students love Mr Ashley

Two years in McAlpine so far an it's been a great experience. The teachers are dedicated and really care. Principle Saxton is a very involved, energetic leader who is able to connect with the children. Communication with parents is good and parents are greatly encouraged to get involved in a variety of ways.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: I am a grandfather of a child entering kindergarten at McAlpine. Based on a very well organized and comprehensive "Beginner's Day" presentation by teachers, staff and PTA, I am impressed and confident that the next 6 years of schooling for my granddaughter will be and enjoyable and productive experience for her. I am particularly impressed by the competency and caring of the principal, Ernest Saxton, the three kindergarten teachers who are returning this coming school-year, and the active involvement of the PTA. I'll check-in at the end of the year to give you feedback on how the kindergarten experience turned out...

McAlpine is a satisfactory school. The teachers are okay, and so is the staff, however, the principal is very ignorant, and selfish. He only cares about doing his work, and getting paid, in my opinion. My child was getting bullied, and he said it had something to do with my child. I do believe that it is an average school, for average students. People will not success well, when attending.

Last modified Mcalpine Elementary is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.