Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Amazing Principal who has taken the school from good to great during her tenure.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The 4 houses model as well as the focus on kindness and bullying prevention with the Eagles Character Award are examples of the excellent changes that the Principal has put into place supporting the development of strong character, integrity, compassion and respect.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Motivated and hardworking teachers who excel at communicating with parents and keeping them informed about what is being covered in class.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Ideal balance of homework and study time. Excellent parent-teacher communication.

Wonderful neighborhood school in the Ballantyne area that is working hard every day to achieve excellence. Kids are challenged, teachers are motivated, class sizes are small and the new Friday clubs offering Robotics/Lego, Drawing, Foreign Languages (French & Spanish), Gardening, Drama, Green Club, Chorus...etc are fantastic and not offered simply as outsourced after-school activities. We LOVE McAlpine!!! It's rated 9 here, but it should be a 10.

McAlpine is a wonderful school with a true sense of community and family. Staff goes above and beyond to help students day to day and to support our families and staff. It's a wonderful place to be.

McAlpine is a warm, inviting school where all children are challenged. My third grader does things in math that blow my mind! His teacher works with small groups at their own level so all get what they need. At our previous south charlotte school, the high kids worked on their own because their test scores were secure. At McAlpine they care about teaching and challenging all children. It is refreshing!

In response to 03/17/2014 Post: My goodness, Woman, talk to your child. I have autism in my family. I can tell you that as soon as a mother gives up on the difficult task of communicating, the child suffers. Your comments insulting. I have always found the teaching staff at McAlpine among the most caring, loving and professional individuals I know.

McAlpine is the BEST school I have even had my children enrolled in! The teachers are supportive, informative and fun. My Children are on fire for learning! I have one child who completed school there and is in the 8th grade, he loves going back to see his old teachers (my 4th and 2nd grade children still attend) The office staff is helpful and friendly. The environment at McAlpine is one of family and friendship. The children are happy and they thrive. This year a new Principal has come on board and I can't say I like or dislike her as I haven't gotten to know her. She has introduced herself every time she has seen me though and I find that very inviting. She also ended the AR tests (thank goodness! If you have an avid reader you will understand this) Parent involvement could be better but it is not horrible. We are moving at the end of this school year and I am sad to leave! I have recently considered homeschooling the children as we haven't found a school in the entire CMS system that has half the atmosphere. I have a step child who went to a 10 rated school in CMS and I would NEVER send my children to that "stuffy" school. McAlpine is a gem hidden away and kept secret!

McAlpine Elementary might be the best kept secret in Ballantyne, I had three children at this school. Last year was our first year and we fell in love. The level of engagement by the entire staff at this school and the caring about the children that attend has amazed us. We left an IB international school when we moved here, I was very worried about the adjustment, but it was without cause. The teachers here not only made the adjustment achievable, my oldest in 5th went from struggling student with a possible ADD diagnosis to the McAlpine Honor Roll. They had a 504 accommodation in place within 3 months to provide what he need for success. HIs confidence soared and so did his excitement about school work. This year I have a 4th and 2nd grader, and they have blossomed even more. I am continually amazed by the activities in learning that are presented and when I pick up my nine year old and he talks about all he has learned in the day I am speechless. Engaged doesn t begin to cover what is happening with these 4th graders. We have moved enough to know these numbers in the rating are just that, numbers. They do not reflect the experience your child will have. Thank You McA!

Last modified Mcalpine Elementary is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.