Posted March 23, 2014
McAlpine is a warm, inviting school where all children are challenged. My third grader does things in math that blow my mind! His teacher works with small groups at their own level so all get what they need. At our previous south charlotte school, the high kids worked on their own because their test scores were secure. At McAlpine they care about teaching and challenging all children. It is refreshing!

Posted March 19, 2014
In response to 03/17/2014 Post: My goodness, Woman, talk to your child. I have autism in my family. I can tell you that as soon as a mother gives up on the difficult task of communicating, the child suffers. Your comments insulting. I have always found the teaching staff at McAlpine among the most caring, loving and professional individuals I know.

Posted November 24, 2013
McAlpine is the BEST school I have even had my children enrolled in! The teachers are supportive, informative and fun. My Children are on fire for learning! I have one child who completed school there and is in the 8th grade, he loves going back to see his old teachers (my 4th and 2nd grade children still attend) The office staff is helpful and friendly. The environment at McAlpine is one of family and friendship. The children are happy and they thrive. This year a new Principal has come on board and I can't say I like or dislike her as I haven't gotten to know her. She has introduced herself every time she has seen me though and I find that very inviting. She also ended the AR tests (thank goodness! If you have an avid reader you will understand this) Parent involvement could be better but it is not horrible. We are moving at the end of this school year and I am sad to leave! I have recently considered homeschooling the children as we haven't found a school in the entire CMS system that has half the atmosphere. I have a step child who went to a 10 rated school in CMS and I would NEVER send my children to that "stuffy" school. McAlpine is a gem hidden away and kept secret!

Posted November 12, 2013
McAlpine Elementary might be the best kept secret in Ballantyne, I had three children at this school. Last year was our first year and we fell in love. The level of engagement by the entire staff at this school and the caring about the children that attend has amazed us. We left an IB international school when we moved here, I was very worried about the adjustment, but it was without cause. The teachers here not only made the adjustment achievable, my oldest in 5th went from struggling student with a possible ADD diagnosis to the McAlpine Honor Roll. They had a 504 accommodation in place within 3 months to provide what he need for success. HIs confidence soared and so did his excitement about school work. This year I have a 4th and 2nd grader, and they have blossomed even more. I am continually amazed by the activities in learning that are presented and when I pick up my nine year old and he talks about all he has learned in the day I am speechless. Engaged doesn t begin to cover what is happening with these 4th graders. We have moved enough to know these numbers in the rating are just that, numbers. They do not reflect the experience your child will have. Thank You McA!

Posted October 17, 2013
This school is fantastic and deserves a higher rating than 7 for sure! The teachers are great and the new principal has brought some wonderful new energy that will surely enable McAlpine go from Very Good to Great. Excited for the year ahead.

Posted September 26, 2013
We enrolled our son from Dec 2012 and I must say that it is an excellent school that provides good training to students in a manner they enjoy. They have a balance of learning, field trips and fun. My son loves going to school everyday. The teachers are very dedicated and students love Mr Ashley

Posted May 16, 2013
Two years in McAlpine so far an it's been a great experience. The teachers are dedicated and really care. Principle Saxton is a very involved, energetic leader who is able to connect with the children. Communication with parents is good and parents are greatly encouraged to get involved in a variety of ways.

Posted May 01, 2013
FIRST IMPRESSIONS: I am a grandfather of a child entering kindergarten at McAlpine. Based on a very well organized and comprehensive "Beginner's Day" presentation by teachers, staff and PTA, I am impressed and confident that the next 6 years of schooling for my granddaughter will be and enjoyable and productive experience for her. I am particularly impressed by the competency and caring of the principal, Ernest Saxton, the three kindergarten teachers who are returning this coming school-year, and the active involvement of the PTA. I'll check-in at the end of the year to give you feedback on how the kindergarten experience turned out...

Posted June 20, 2012
Five years at McAlpine Elementary has been very good. the principal had good ideas of renovating the 1984 building, and the teacher history there is very good.. Some of Americas best teachers were there. Nice staff, and very good technology. 5 stars!

Posted June 14, 2012
I just finished my first year as a McAlpine parent and it has been wonderful. I think sometimes the negative reviews come from a bad experience or a parent being either too demanding or taking something personally. Our child's teacher has been amazing and the leadership including Principal Saxton has been phenomenal. Interestingly, it's the parents that complain that also are least involved in the school. If you don't like something, get involved and don't hide behind online posts. This is a terrific school and a great sign that public education is alive and well.

Mcalpine Elementary
9100 Carswell Lane, Charlotte, NC  28277
Last modified Mcalpine Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mcalpine Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews.