Charlotte Country Day School

Private | PK-12 | 1640 students

Through academic excellence we help all students reach their personal best.

Living in Charlotte

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $281,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $850.

Sweep tile

Posted Friday, April 11, 2014

Teachers and faculty are extremely supportive. It is very tough academically however your child will be prepared for college. Our children only had three teachers in upper school that I would change. Classroom size is small. It is not unusual to have five or less students in a class. Improvements could be a large theatre, new caf, new science building, new speakers for theatre productions and general improvements and more class offerings for fine arts.

Posted August 5, 2013

Charlotte Country Day is great. I agree that tutoring may be required if your kids are coming in from Charlotte Christian, Trinity or public school - those kids tend to struggle especially at first and some drop out which is too bad. The kids from Char Prep do seem to transition better. The advisory program for high school students at CCDS is effective and student/faculty safety is a priority - all of the classrooms have intercoms and alarms. Our kids have never had anything stolen and I have never heard of anything gone missing ever! Can't imagine sending my kids anywhere else. The administration is very approachable and are open to suggestions for improvement which makes for a very healthy environment. They even provide laundry service for team uniforms so you don't have to have those smelly things in your car! I agree it is important to do your homework especially if you are moving from out of town. There are a couple of schools that don't have great reputations (especially noted for poor sportsmanship and lackluster academics), and there are a few that do. Also, check out the class offerings and class size. It is worth every penny.

Posted July 9, 2013

The teachers and staff are incredible. There is a wonderful sense of community amongst parents and staff. The teachers are very responsive and are flexible with intentional students. Our son has graduated and he finally inquired about the tuition cost and then proceeded to thank me for sending him to Country Day. He has been incredibly prepared for college - especially for Spanish and Biology. It is pricey but worth it. If you are looking at private schools, interview many people and ask lots of questions. We also interviewed students and paid attention to their grammar and social skills. After doing this, the only other schools we considered were Charlotte Latin and Covenant Day School. CCDS is a school that is very highly thought of in the Charlotte community and this is important in a smaller city. Charlotte Country Day's location is very convenient to uptown neighborhoods and this was important to us as our kids are all driving now to school. The most difficult thing about Country Day (besides the curriculum - the high school is TOUGH - it is a hard school and there is a lot of work) is getting in! The wait is long for some grade levels - retention is very high.

Posted June 16, 2013

I am a parent with children in all three divisions, and I believe CCDS provides an outstanding and well rounded education that is worth every penny. My oldest was at the top of her class in public school but found CCDS to be much more challenging academically. It also gave her many more opportunities in athletics, community service, and art because CCDS is so much smaller; children can not get "lost", as they might in huge public school classes. The strong, involved faculty and highly motivated students really pushed her to do her best. College guidance provided valuable input at every step of the application process. My other children have had similar terrific experiences, made life-long friendships, and become better people because of the CCDS community. I highly recommend this school!

Posted February 9, 2013

I am a parent and can attest to the incredible academic environment this school provides our children at any age. The teachers are outstanding, course selection extensive (Upper School offers Honors, AP, and IP options, CCDS had the first IB program in NC). Country Day offers a rigorous academic environment combined with perks you just don't find elsewhere. Teachers want your children to succeed and encourage them along the way. Parents are extremely involved and there is a great feeling of family and community among everyone at the school. Country Day emphasizes character, honesty, integrity, athletics, and arts along with the academic standards. Kids are encouraged to do their best in all areas, and all skill-sets are appreciated. The college guidance department is outstanding and make the application process much less overwhelming. Each division does a wonderful job addressing the needs of the ages they serve. The faculty is hands-on and your son/daughter will find so many adult role models throughout their educational experience. I simply cannot say enough great things about Charlotte Country Day School!

Posted January 31, 2013

I am the parent of 2 children at CCDS in both the Middle School and the Lower School. I wish everyone looking at the school could get a deeper understanding and appreciation of the culture and community at CCDS. My children have thrived in this environment where character, community service, academics, athletics and the arts are woven seamlessly into the fabric of our school. Faculty and staff have done a tremendous job of meeting the needs of both of my children whose strengths and weaknesses could not be more different. The middle school campus is an absolute gem where the students are away from the pressures of being like Upper School students and can separate themselves from the structure of the Lower School and find more independence as they navigate adolescence. CCDS also does a phenomenal job with parent education and awareness offering workshops, coffees, etc on relevant topics to parents in each division. I could not be more pleased with our choice to send our children to CCDS and know that what they are learning here at Country Day, both academically and socially, will benefit them throughout the rest of their lives.

Posted December 11, 2012

During the enrollment process, the feeling of joy that I felt every time we visited Charlotte Country Day School resonated with me. Looking back, I think that sense of joy comes from being in a place where children are realizing their full potential, whether that means being a Rhodes scholar, a painter, singer, author, scientist, historian, or photographer. Whatever your child's passion is, at CCDS, it will be celebrated and developed into a skill they will cherish for their lifetime. It was important to me and my husband to choose a school for our children that had a strong fine and performing arts curriculum. We love the fact that at Charlotte Country Day School beginning in JK, the students have music and art classes, and even learn to perform infront of an audience. Tied into community service learning, the children visit local retirement communities and preform for the residents. The attention at CCDS not only to sports and academics, but also to the creative side of your child, is one of the main reasons we chose to enroll our children at Charlotte Country Day school.

Posted May 22, 2012

My family has a long history of going to CCDS. My father and his older brother attended CCDS. My older brother graduated from Country Day. So it was natural for me to attend too. I started in JK. I was challenged, I was pushed to succeed, and I was surrounded by people I called friends. By 5th grade things went wrong. I began to be bullied by both boys and girls in my grade. As I entered Middle School I began to become closer to my teachers than to my peers as I was mocked and ostracized whenever I left the classroom. Finally in 7th grade I had too much. I had become depressed, verging on suicidal and I snapped. I yelled at a boy who threw a ball at me. I was taken into the office of our grade advisor, a teacher I respected and trusted. She told me it was a misunderstanding and made me apologize to the boy. I decided to leave CCDS. That summer my parents recieved a letter from my advisor who told me I wouldn't find anything better and would face the same in public school. I didn't. I loved it. CCDS has incredible athletics and academics, but the way the school treated me after my bullying soured the whole experience, and I am still to this day haunted by those last few years.

Posted January 25, 2012

Charlotte Country Day School has one main mission: encourage students to be the best they can be. To accomplish this mission, each teacher spends time really getting to know each child. I am amazed how well my son's teachers know both his positive and negative traits. Honor and discipline are always part of every class, which helps to develop trustworthy and hard-working future adults. CCDS has a winning formula. We are in our 12th year at Country Day. We are so excited about college being on the horizon, but leaving CCDS will be bitter-sweet.

Posted June 21, 2011

I have nothing but positive things to say about my experience at Charlotte Country Day School. I attribute a good share of my childhood development and college admission to the school, which in turn helped pave the way for my professional and personal development as an adult. Some of the best memories of my life were at that school, and I firmly believe that it is one of the best schools in the country. Some of the highlights I would point out: 1) High Quality Teaching Staff 2) Experiences/Opportunities that many children do not have 3) Fantastic facilities (sports and arts) 4) Focus on well-balanced student life and college admission
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 8, 2011

CCDS is an amazing school. The teaching staff is top rate with incredible amounts of personalized attention given to the needs of each student. Everyone there really seems to love what they do and it shows. Challenging academics, great extracurricular activities and the facilities are all top notch. The separate middle school campus is a huge plus in terms of encouraging healthy development for those students. Can't say enough good things.

Posted June 4, 2011

I was a student for 8 years and can say that the lower school is AMAZING the teachers are great and so are the facilities. The middle school is very cliquey and there is a lot of pressure on girls for the kind of clothes they wear etc. As for the academics they are very good and challenging. The foreign exchange program is amazing and allows kids to go to places like Cabo San Lucas in the 6th grade! As far as the whole cliqueness I have heard that it only gets worse in highschool. Unless your kid is extremely popular than they might want to look somewhere else. I have a lot of friends who go to AG middle school and love it. Overall its a great school for some people but not for everyone.

Posted April 30, 2011

Charlotte Country Day is probably the best private school in Charlotte. Academically, pretty even with Charlotte Latin, a few steps ahead of Providence Day and leaps and bounds ahead of Charlotte Christian. I think what distinguishes CCDS from CLS is that their may be a slightly elitist mentality at CLS that is completely non-existent at CCDS.Athletics with the major sports (football, basketball, lacrosse, swimming) are usually better than the other three, with Christian being the only equivalent in baseball. However, Charlotte Latin may be a notch above in the non-revenue sports like wrestling and cross country. Over all, if i were a new parent looking for a private school, I would go with CD or CLS if affordable. Hope this has been helpful.

Posted February 4, 2011

Charlotte Country Day is a fabulous school. We have had one child graduate and we have another one in upper school. The new head of school seems to have his pulse on what is going on and he has made a concerted effort to get to know the parents and the kids. The communication has improved greatly since he has been there and the kids like him. The class selection/options (upper school) are by far the best of all the private schools in Charlotte and the facility is amazing and so is Bucsnet! Many of the teachers have been at the school for over twenty five years. There are four full time staff members just for the college department - they are all wonderful! The staff truly cares about kids and wants them to succeed. It is a very rigorous program academically but the teachers do what they can for kids that put forth the extra effort. There are many opportunities for parents to serve and become involved at all levels. We love the school and have made many wonderful friendships because of it. It is not perfect, but pretty close.

Posted November 30, 2010

I am a student at CCD. My school has offered me endless opportunities throughout my years at this school. I am in an environment where I can be myself, feel confident about my academics, social life, and athletics. I love CCD because it not only encourages me to reach my personal best, but everyday I strive to perform well due to the grand support my school gives me. I am comfortable playing sports both in and out of school, and I enjoy being involved in activities that make me unique. CCD offers such a wide variety of clubs, sports and opportunities, so there is something enjoyable and interesting for everyone. Each faculty member is wonderful, always willing to meet each pupil's needs. Being a member of the CCD community from jk all the way up to high school, I have always found CCD to be a friendly school always willing to accept new members with open arms. I truly feel I could not be happier any place else!

Posted October 27, 2010

CCDS is a Great school... the teachers are so nice and willing to help! Although... the middle school seems to have a big bullying problem and theres a lot of pressure on girls such as dressing really nice for school etc. Theres a little too much drama. BUT I Love the lower and upper school!

Posted April 25, 2010

Top-Notch program, beautiful college-like campus, great staff, great students and wonderful families. Hands down-best of all of the Charlotte private schools.

Posted December 12, 2009

Since '08, this has been the best school in Charlotte...Top athletic programs, best art, dance, music and theater programs in the state. The only private school with an International Baccalaureate program. CCD provides top education for the best and brightest. One out of every one hundred applicants are accepted.

Posted November 11, 2009

Best academics, best facilities, best sports, best administration and best performing students of all NC Private Schools.

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2013)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
Dutch
French
German
Italian
Russian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special olympics

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

Arts & music

• Arts (all)
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

Foreign languages taught
  • Homeric Greek
  • Latin
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Advanced placement courses
  • Honors track
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
College preparation / awareness resources offered

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Mark Reed
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Advanced placement courses
  • College prep
  • Honors track
  • Independent Study
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • STEM

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Special Olympics

Media arts
  • Graphics
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Parent Education
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
SAT/ACT prep classes
Summer college prep programs
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
Students' post-graduation plans in 2013