PK-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Davidson Day School was founded in 1999 in the heart of educationally historic Davidson, North Carolina, just down the street from Davidson College. Davidson Day is an independent school that serves over 500 students from 2 years old through 12th grade and is accredited by the Southern Association of Independent Schools as well as the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The School is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools. Davidson Day cultivates academic excellence through collaboration, creativity, and character development. Each student is offered an active, challenging learning environment through our broad array of programs. We strive for our students to be: Independent thinkers who articulate their ideas with confidence Students who advocate for themselves and others Engaged students who take intellectual risks Critical thinkers who are enthusiastic problem solvers Lifelong learners who chart their own paths in college and life Respectful ethical citizens who are adept at addressing global challenges To achieve these goals, we keep our class sizes small (average student: teacher ratio is 9:1), so our students benefit from individualized attention. Many of our teachers and administrators also lead artistic endeavors, coach sports and sponsor co-curricular clubs, so that they get to develop strong personal relationships with students in a range of settings. The School also has a Learning and Enrichment Center that offers assistance to students with learning differences as well as enrichment opportunities for students who are ready to move more quickly. Beyond its strong academic program, the School has a robust performing arts program including drama, music and band, performing in a newly renovated theater. We offer a rich assortment of athletic opportunities for Middle and Upper School students. Davidson Day also offers 7th-12th graders the chance to study abroad in archaeological field schools in Belize and Spain. In Upper School, our College Counselor helps students chart a path to the college of best fit, ensuring they are successful and fulfilled once they graduate from Davidson Day School.
November 13, 2013

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (4 responses)

I have been reading the reviews and see a lot of negative reviews which is unfortunate. Many families are unhappy because the current Headmaster refused to reserve 5 slots for football players in the Upper School. I completely agree with his decision, this is a small, academically rigorous school not a football powerhouse. My daughter's teachers are very supportive and engaged. She has blossomed at this school. As far as it not being a place for LD students, I think that public or other private schools are more suited for their needs. I do not hold that against DD as it is a small school and does not have the resources to meet the needs of students with a wide range of abilities. If your child is bright and a hard worker this is the place for him or her to thrive!

I have had four of my children attend Davidson Day School over the past 6 years. My oldest graduated two years ago (2015), I have two graduating this year (2017), and my youngest will be a rising 9th grader. All four of my children are completely different and learn different ways. DDay teaches in a variety of ways for each learners needs. One of my children is dyslexic and has auditory processing challenges. The teachers have been wonderful with helping him be the best student he can be making honor roll several times. Davidson Day has been a wonderful place for all my children. They have been exposed to a variety of experiences they would not have otherwise had. Some of the many great things have been a strong football program with a sense of family. Friday night lights has been lots of fun for all. My son played and my daughters cheered. The Belize and Spain programs, the theater department is out of this world, and the director is the best. The teachers are caring. They really want the students to do well. The school offers a variety of honors and AP classes which are rigorous. They will work with students after school, during lunch, and/or study hall. The college counselors have been instrumental in assisting my older children in planning their future path. Administration has changed several times during our tenure and some were better than others, but I would not change our experiences for any other school in the area. No school is perfect and without challenges at some time or another. That is called growth. Overall, thus far it has been a wonderful experience.

We have been at Davidson Day for 5+ years and through 4 headmasters. Tons of hope the new headmaster would provide the stability and direction this school has needed for a long time. That was wishful thinking and we could not be more disappointed in the new leadership. Same old problems still exist: no transparency with administration or Board, some administrators that should have been let go years ago have been retained while good people are let go (because they did not go with the status quo and voiced concerns), and new headmaster makes decisions without hearing all sides (agree with previous parent as he is arrogant and former military background, thus used to everyone following orders and not questioning decisions). In addition, multiple families left mid-year when the headmaster and Board decided a competitive football program was not worth sustaining. Multiple players had D1 scholarship offers and the school left them on the doorstep with no guarantee of a program. Thus, multiple other families have left or are leaving (along with siblings) due to how poorly this situation was handled and the disrespect they felt as parents and students. The domino effect has led to low high school numbers for next year and many programs (athletic and non-athletic) will struggle to make it (contrary to what admissions will tell you!). I also agree with other review about lack of support regarding students with learning differences. The Learning and Enrichment Center is not even led by someone with a background in learning disabilities or learning differences. All around this school talks a good talk but not worth the money they are charging. The tight-knit board found what they wanted, a Headmaster that is now their "puppet" and will do what they want which is to have all academic kids and to rid of anyone who requires special assistance or disagrees with their views. For the most part there are great teachers at this school who are stuck in the middle of dysfunctional administrative and Board dynamics and clearly a Board who lacks in skills in hiring good headmasters. There are other private schools in the north area that are already stable (Cannon) or are moving in a great, positive direction (Christ the King). I recommend you invest in your child's education elsewhere. We are done with DDS and moving our children. We have just had enough, it's the kids that lose.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

School used to have great program (Learning and Enrichment Center) for struggling or special needs students (ADD, for example). Board no longer fully supports this program, and admissions folks actively discourage kids from applying unless student is very low-maintenance and needs no assistance. School now looks only for students who they can bet will automatically succeed with no interventions, even mild ones. Aloof admissions people. Far too focused on polishing their already-fully self sufficient students, and no interest in helping any others. Based on personal experience where one child accepted eagerly, but mildly ADD child with average grades told to not even bother. So neither followed through. Stay away.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

I feel like the administative team, under the new head of school, is the strongest it has ever been.

Develops character: Strongly agree

I have found that the teachers, administrators, and coaches go out of their way to model and encourage/shape character in students. It is a key component of the school's mission statement.

I have been a parent at DDS for nearly 10 years, and it is an outstanding school for my children. The teachers are exceptional, very dedicated to their craft, and they strive to teach in creative ways that really engage their students. The class sizes are small so those kids who need it can get extra support. There’s been multiple heads of school over the past several years, but the new head (started in July) is energetic and motivated to be here for the long haul. I feel very good about our investment in DDS. As I look ahead to my kids moving onward to upper school, I don’t question the caliber of the academic experience and the college counseling office, because I’ve seen my friends’ older kids thrive and go on to great colleges. For me, I wonder whether my kids will be content with the smallish size of the school at that point in their lives. At the same time, I love the close-knit community of DDS, so I don't want future expansion to make that go away. I'll be interested to see how things progress over the next couple years...

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

No real issue that I was aware of.

Supports LD students: Neutral

I am not sure with this, we didn't have any learning problems.

Last modified Davidson Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12