Durham, NC
Students enrolled: 1,801

Posted March 19, 2014
I think Jordan is an excellent school. While there have been some changes in the demographics, these changes have benefited Jordan. I think Jordan provides the student with an excellent education. There is a tendency for some people to rate schools on the basis on where the students come from( i.e children from poor families = poor schools. However, the educational experts contend that one has to look at where all children are going. The year that my children graduated, the number of students who were selected to attend top colleges (i.e., Davidson, Yale, UNC-CH, Harvard, Middlebury, Duke, etc., ) exceeded that of some of the private schools in the area. I think because the enrolled students were exposed to diversity, , they were more attractive to the top schools then the students who attended "elusive" high schools. Don't be deceived by arbitrary ratings.

Charles E Jordan Sr High School 2

Posted December 13, 2013
My child is doing well at Jordan but she absolutely hates going there. She says it is like a prison with bare block walls and no daylight. Students in some of her classes (particularly Spanish class) rap dirty songs and walk around during class, making it hard for her to learn. Some teachers have no control in the classroom and there is no good way to keep disruptive kids under control or remove them from the classroom. She says she could get much more work done in less time if she were home schooled. She says teachers waste her time and then she must spend six hours a night studying to complete the loads of homework. Some classes do not have textbooks but the school spends money on expensive whiteboards and the teachers picket for higher pay. I wish NC had school vouchers so the schools could compete for students and dollars.

Posted July 28, 2013
Don't be fooled by overall rankings of Jordan High School. Look at Test Scores and detailed rankings and different groups and see that rankings for kids who want to do well, can and will do well at this school. This is an absolute terms and relative to both Statewide standards and the Chapel Hill public high schools. For example, I don't know how academically gifted is defined but I would say my daughter is not gifted yet she does extremely well on statewide tests. As of August 2013, Jordan has a ranking of 10 for academically gifted students on state tests. East Chapel Hill's ranking is 7.
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 13, 2012
I am currently a sophomore at Jordan and it is a very great school. I am currently ranked number one and I have found that it is a great school with academic challenges. Before Jordan I had no trouble sliding through school with out working at all , however I have learned how to study and how to work by way of rigorous APs and challenging honors courses. I have loved my teachers, majority of them generally care about us students and are readily available when we need help. I have also found the social aspects of Jordan to be wonderful, we have amazing sports teams, minus our football team who just lost the homecoming game, and I find that they are a great social outlet. Many of the students come to the football games regardless of the fact that we are loosing to see our friends. The administration is wonderful, and very caring. I have personally made an appointment to talk to the principle about fundraising and he listened and he was fully supportive of me and he still remembers me to this day and checks up on me. I would recommend Jordan 100%, it is a wonderful school.

Charles E Jordan Sr High School 3

Posted April 18, 2012
My child is a freshman at Jordan. The school is OK as far as safety, teacher involvement and other standard measurements. The school does have a very strong liberal bias. Freshman Focus class which is a required class is mostly an introduction into the liberal ideas. Some teachers (again freshman focus) have said they do not want parents input.

Posted March 01, 2012
Jordan High has nurtured my son and enabled him to excel. He will attend a top university next year thanks to the excellent instruction he has received from some highly capable and motivated teachers. The resources are there, but the student body is a very heterogeneous mix of motivation, talent, and home support. The new principal is a huge disappointment- too bad the last one stayed for such a short time.

Posted November 10, 2011
I am a freshman at Jordan high school and so far I absolutely love the quality of the teahcers. i feel as if i am in a safe environment and the variety of class selection really helps me to strtive for my goal and career. The sports program is highly recomendable and jordan's men soccer team is often ranked number 10 in the nation.

Posted March 16, 2011
My child has grown exponentially since she has attended Jordan High School. They offer a high variety of classes to choose from. The teachers are very polite and highly qualified. The sports program is amazing, and the soccer team is consistantly ranked in the top 10 of the nation. My daughter says that the unusual AB/Block schedule is highly effective. I recommend Jordan High to all students in the area.

Posted September 29, 2010
I graduated from Jordan in May 2007 and I am so thankful for the preparation I received while I was there. While I was at Jordan I took advantage of the Honors and AP programs. I came to UNC prepared and did not have much trouble adjusting to the college work load. While at Jordan I had some incredible educators who held me to high standards. Also, the diversity at Jordan is another one of it's strong suits. There still needs to be a greater push to diversify the upper level courses, but I am encouraged when I think back on the friends I made and have kept since I was a student at Jordan High Shool.

Posted October 28, 2009
I been to Jordan for ninth and tenth grade and I loved it a lot. The school was perfect and everyone there was so nice to me. It wasn't like Hillside with too much violence. I got kicked out and went to Hillside and that school had a lot of problems. I have to tell parents that Jordan is a better school. I never had problems there like at Lowe's Grove middle school.

Charles E Jordan Sr High School
6806 Garrett Road, Durham, NC  27707
Last modified Charles E Jordan Sr High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Charles E Jordan Sr High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top