Bad
Good

My son attended Carrington and my daughter just finished her first year. Both loved it and excelled. The teachers are top notch! The communication from the staff you is different than elementary school - but it should be. Middle school prepares us and our students for high school and high school for college. With that being said, I always felt informed. The administration is a well-oiled machine. EVERY school has issues whether it's public, private or charter. It's how the staff handles those issues that's important and Carrington does a terrific job. I would highly recommend this school to anyone interested in a strong academic and diverse program.

This school has lots of areas that need to be improved. Communication is terrible. As a parent, i rely on my child to provide info to me. However, I also rely on the school's website. Carrington's website is very disappointing. Many of the school's activities are not listed on the school calendar on the website. Basketball tryouts were held this week, but not noted on the calendar or under the announcements. My child heard the announcement for tryouts on the day they actually started. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to reach myself or his dad to arrange for us to pick him up after school. Needless to say, the coaches won't allow him to attend tryouts on day 2. It would also be helpful if all of the clubs/organizations and other extra curricular activities were clearly listed on the website.

Good transition for my 6th grader from elem. school. She's had ups and downs with her teachers though. Not sure if the kids are pushing them or the teachers are just tired, but my daughter started the year saying how nice all her teachers were, and now, that most of them are mean. So I take it with a grain of salt and let her grades tell me the story.

Can someone explain why there is a comment about LIttle River on the Carrington Middle School page?

Little River has been disappointing. The administration is weak. Behavior problem are addressed with 8, 9 10 years old with slow to no connect of the parent. Encore teacher does not initate any contract or communicate with parents, not sure of the purpose. The only time a parent hears for these teacher is when a student has been written up on at report card time because the student's name has been place in the book. In three years, I have never been contacted by or spoken to these teachers. The math and language art teachers speaks for them. Overall, I have not found Little River to be warm or embracing of the average student.

I 'm disappointed with this school. Administration is weak. Teachers are not supported in the classroom. My child has been punched in the stomach on 2 occaisions. Administration has been harmful rather than helpful with his situation.

overcrowded and can not get any return calls when i have left messages.

I am a proud parent of a Carrington Student! He's a Honor Roll student, involed in various extracurricular activies, respects and enjoys his teaches and feels safe at school. The key to ensuring that your child can thrive in a large population? Involvement! Get involved and stay involved! Middle School Parents need to remember that both you and your child are experiencing new things...together! So, don't think this is the time to bow out gracefully. It's a transition! And Carrington makes great efforts to ensure that evereyone learns and succeeds during this time. You, as a Parent, can determine the level of success for your child and Carrington Middle School is the appropriate place to do that. Carrington and Parents are a great winning combination!

We have high expectations and my views are likely a bit biased coming to Durham from a different community, but I am horrified by what is happening at Carrington! Classes are taught to the lowest common denominator rather than giving the children at the bottom extra help. Students are graded on whether or not they participate in, or give donations for, fund raising activities. Parent involvement IS very high, which is a strength for this school. Overall we are very disappointed and actively seeking better opportunities for our son - difficult on our very limited budget.

I was really afraid that middle school would be difficult for my son, especially since he has never liked school at all. But, apparently Carrington has brought out the best in him. He has really loved the first 9 weeks and just brought home straight 'A's. Whatever the principal and teachers are doing is working. Keep it up!

Last modified George L Carrington Middle is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.