Posted September 12, 2013
This is my daughter's second year attending this school, and I am impressed with both the leadership and the teachers at this school. The teachers are concerned not only for my daughter's academic success, but they are also concerned for her success as a social being interacting with others. When I attended the parent teacher conference, I was amazed at the level of education they were providing to my 1st grader. This school is definately rigerous and my daughter has lots of home work each night, but I love seeing my daughter learn and comprehend new things. For the 1st grade they are doing math with unknown variables, reading followed by an analysis, and some awesome science projects. There is a huge emphasis on not only learning words but comprehending what is happening in a book and being able relay this information to another person. My daughter loves the school, and they have been very proactive in working with my wife and I to help my daughter succeed.

Posted November 11, 2011
My son is in the 4th grade and reading and writing has always been his tough subject. This year he has improved in reading comprehension and writing. His current teacher is Mrs. Hollingworth she truly cares about her students and makes learning fun for the kids. The school also have online resources for the kids such as: study island, xtra math and these sites help with EOG testing. My rating is based on Mrs. Hollingworth's dedication to her students education.

Herbert Akins Rd Elementary 3

Posted August 24, 2011
Fantastic teachers. Not so hot leadership. I have two kids at this school and have been consistently impressed with the quality of the teaching staff - they are caring, motivated, and energetic, and absolutely dedicated to making sure their kids truly learn. I am considerably less impressed with the principal and school-wide communication and leadership. All we ever get are the broadcast phone calls which are annoying since they go so quickly you can't write anything down and invariably seem to ring during dinner. I also get the feeling that the school isn't particularly child-centered - last year's yearbook had the first five or six pages dedicated to various teachers and administrators, and oh, yeah, around page ten, there's some kids who hang out here too. If it weren't for the absolutely fantastic teachers we'd be looking for alternatives.

Posted July 27, 2011
Great School. Warm and friendly front desk. Caring, competent, and knowledgeable staff. The administration is wonderful. This school just opened but give it a chance. I think this school is one of the best I've seen.

Herbert Akins Rd Elementary 2

Posted March 17, 2011
Wake Co. Schools in general, has serious issues. Just watch the national news! Herbert Akins has been a disappointment. No use of technology, nothing to challenge students to read, low test scores, no school functions (except for a "select" few), Zero school spirit. Our former school in this system has lots of educational, community, and family centered programs. So far this year at HARES - zero - only a book fair with a rude clique of volunteers - no thanks! We are pestered to death by the PTA to donate for a shade structure (hello? bad economy! get a business to sponsor), yet they do nothing for our kids or the teachers. Cancelled a fun run, no field trips, no newsletters, outdated website. Only a random automated phone call with too much information to write down quickly, and your child will listen to it, so you will still have no clue what is going on at school. Teachers are the only saving grace. Pay cuts, no assistants, overcrowded classrooms, and no apparent direction from the admin make this an uphill battle for them. Our former school Holly Grove is outstanding, so it makes us score this school well below average.

Posted March 13, 2011
This school has caring individuals who work with the children and give everything they have. Staff and administation who do not work with my kids actually know their names. Some spend endless working for the children. The office staff is very helpful. I would highly recommend this school to others. The PTA has implemented some good things this year. Turnover has been low.

Herbert Akins Rd Elementary
2255 Herbert Akins Road, Fuquay-Varina, NC  27526
Last modified Herbert Akins Rd Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Herbert Akins Rd Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 6 reviews. Top