Greensboro, NC

Posted November 02, 2013
I love Brooks Global Studies. I am a teacher that chooses to drive past many other schools to work in this positive environment with an amazing staff, administrator, parents, and students. Since this is a magnet school there is a wide variety of diversity which enhances all student's learning. Parents are the backbone of this school from supporting their children at home to helping teachers in the classroom. I love coming to work here every day because it is such a happy place to be and I truly feel appreciated for all that I do.

Posted August 10, 2013
love love love this school. My kids work really hard here and the work load can be a whole lot, but the kids are so much better off for it. I just wish they had a middle school where the kids could just transition from 5th grade on over to middle a Brooks Middle School. My kids bening in this school has made me put off my relocation to another state!!!! I love it that much! Teahers and Mrs. Kidd are awesome

Posted January 17, 2013
I am a parent who has one special needs child. Both my kids have had an outstanding education at Brooks. My daughter entered in 4th grade - her learning needs were appreciated and instruction exceeded my expectations. Ms. Mack (reading specialist) and teams of teachers are amazing. They took a reluctant learner who had been frustrated and pulled out at other schools and met her needs. You are expected to work at Brooks - home work is plenty but it is tied to instruction and I can say prepares students well for middle school. My daughter is now an AB student in middle school and I thank Brooks.

Posted January 17, 2013
Brooks is an outstanding school. My family loves Brooks! We love how diverse it is and how ALL students achieve. The school prepares kids to move on and be successful in Middle School. Children get extra language instruction in Spanish and develop an understanding of today's world and global perspective. The principal leads with a wonderful perspective on learning and achievement and really cares about Brooks kids and their wellbeing. It is a great school!

Posted January 15, 2013
My children LOVE Brooks! They've made so many positive comments to me regarding their school. Some of their comments show that they are learning on a higher cognitive level, "we are taught to think out of the box!" They enjoy the challenge of projects and the sense of satisfaction they get when working collectively with their peers. The teachers are passionate, professional and very approachable. They have confidence in their students and really help to build their self esteem. There is daily homework, but the remark my kids always make is "that's how we learn." I strongly recommend that parents who are looking for a well-rounded elementary education, apply for this magnet school. We were so relieved to be selected, because it is NOT a neighborhood school. It has been a wonderful 4 year experience and the mandated "core curriculum" was not a difficult transition thanks to the strong leadership of the principal, teachers and staff. Brooks offers a very caring environment and the administration does a fabulous job of maintaining an open-door policy. It really is a blessing to have such a great school that provides wonderful education at NO tuition cost!

Brooks Global Studies School 1

Posted August 02, 2012
My son spent his one year in this school and... we are returning to our home school. I am very disappointed! Agree with all the previous speakers that point out on some of the flaws of the principal/teacher team. I am disappointed in the priorities set by this school, as giving awards for the best school attendance?! Out of all the students in class only one gets this "award" for showing the good attendance. It is like saying to the 95% of all parents that "You failed to be here on time". How about math and science?! I am disappointed in how they treat students, expecting perfect behavior for the cost of daily stress and ruined self-esteem. I must admit that Specialist are doing a good job, they are the highlight of this school but classroom teachers, despite their long term employment, seriously lack professionalism and what it takes to be a GOOD teacher! They often forget that they work with little kids!

Brooks Global Studies School 1

Posted June 25, 2012
I agree that the teachers and principal lack personality. They expect 4yr old kids to act like high school kids. I feel very bad for these children. At 4&5yrs of age, you need to let these children be children. The principal and those teachers need to learn to communicate with adults. They may know how to control a bunch of little kids but they need to learn to give direct answers to parents(adults).

Brooks Global Studies School 2

Posted June 07, 2012
In responses to the last posting...All children did not choose this school- they live in the area. However, the parents make the school. The principal treats the children like they are in High School as well as expects the teachers to also.T his has been very stressful for a lot of the children going there emotionally. There have been many complaints to the district about the special need children . Which is good that they children are being moved. The scores statewide are off the charts but it come with a price of low self-esteem and discrimination from little clicks.

Posted September 07, 2011
This is a great school in every respect. All of the parents have selected Brooks (through the magnet process) and what you get is a group of parents, teachers and staff who consistently expect more from their children. The principal and all of the teachers do an amazing job and it shows both in test scores and the love of learning the children come home with. Brooks is a reading school and the children are encouraged at every grade to read and read more. Both teachers and the PTA use creative and encouraging methods to get Brooks students reading. State goals are not good enough for the teachers at Brooks, they want their students all reading above grade level. Even in first grade, my child was encouraged, through in-class enrichment to work above grade level in math. PE and daily recess, Spanish, computer time, music, and art are also part of the weekly rotation. An active PTA and ample opportunity to volunteer in the classroom add to the sense of community and caring at this school.

Brooks Global Studies School 3

Posted December 17, 2009
I put my twin boys here with high hopes. I loved the diversity, the Autism inclusion and the high academic standards....sadly we are in our 4th year and I have to say it has been down hill since Kindergarten. My children though HIGHLY gifted were never identified by the Teachers OR AL Teacher until 3rd grade when they took their Cog-AT's....upon questioning why this was the case I was informed 'unofficially' that their was no place in the public school system for kids like mine because they 'think' differently. If your children are unique keep looking....if they are driven performers who LOVE lots of homework keep looking.

Brooks Global Studies School
1215 Westover Terrace, Greensboro, NC  27408
Last modified Brooks Global Studies School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Brooks Global Studies School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top