Southern Wake Montessori

Private | PK-8 | 100 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Holly Springs

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $228,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $860.

Sweep tile

Posted December 17, 2013

This school is now closed. "Southern Wake Montessori School (SWMS) closed for business July 24, 2009." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Wake_Montessori_School

Posted February 11, 2009

Montessori is a hands-on approach to learning. We have found that our children (1st and 3rd grades) have really benefited from touching as well as seeing and then conceptualizing math concepts (bead frame, stamp game, etc). My children excel academically, even though (because?) there is no pressure. Each child's level is different, and this school and the Montessori approach values that difference. SWMS is also working toward becoming an International Peace Site in 2009. We are happy to have a school for our children that places a high priority on individuality and peace, as well as getting a great education. This school is a gem!

Posted January 10, 2009

This is one amazing school. I have 2 children here and we continue to be impressed with what our children learn and the professionalism of the teachers and staff.

Posted June 28, 2008

We became part of the SWMS community during the 2007-2008 school year. We are thrilled that we made the move for our children. In this environment they thrived and quickly became active participants in the school community. I have never met a more dedicated group of teachers and parents, that are dedicated to ensuring 'magic happens in the classroom' How often do we find a nurturing environment where your child is loved, cared for, engaged, challenged and taught to think in a global manner. In this school your children are taught so many important lessons in the true Montessori method but most importantly they learn to love the learning process which sets them up for success in life.

Posted May 1, 2008

My daughter has been at SWMS since it opened three years ago and I have never had a moment of doubt that this is the absolute best place for her. While parts of being involved in a start-up school are stressful, my main concern is the quality of the teachers and the education. My daughter is performing far above her grade level academically and I can't wait for my son to start next fall. If you are looking for a solid investment in your child's education, I highly recommend you come and visit our school. Take a tour with our wonderful new head of school, meet our teachers, and see the students thriving. I promise you that it will be well worth your time.

Posted April 30, 2008

We love this school. We have been in this school for the last two years. Although the school is only three years old and had to go through the 'growing pains' of getting established, we are so glad we have stuck it out. I have never met a more dedicated loving set of teachers. Along with the positive environment, my child is advancing academically. He is five years old and reads chapter books already. He is already working on cursive letter writing along with multiplication, division and fractions. I appreciate that the administration is concerned with parents needs and wants to keep the school 'pure' Montessori. You can observe anytime during the day (unlike public schools) and know what environment your child is growing in. I appreciate this school and highly recommend that you come and take a tour.

Posted April 30, 2008

My son spent his first preschool year in a church-based preschool. It was fine for social skills, but he was obviously bored. I started researching the Montessori Method online because my son is so interested in everything and I felt like he was capable of doing way more than crafts and coloring!! We moved to Fuquay last summer and I visited every Montessori school within 30 miles. I chose SWMS because it was immediately obvious how dedicated the teachers are to teaching to each child's level. A previous reviewer mentioned that the school was delayed in opening last fall and then opened temporarily in a realty office. The delays were unavoidable and this school was SO worth the wait!!! We are now in a beautiful building with wonderful materials and it's smooth sailing. If you want something special for your children, you will check out Southern Wake.

Posted April 30, 2008

I believe the best way to judge a school is by looking at its teachers. The faculty at Southern Wake Montessori are as talented and dedicated as any I have seen. They create an environment in which their students are able to grow and excel both academically and socially. My oldest child has been a student at Southern Wake Montessori School since the school opened; we are very excited to have our youngest child begin there as well next fall.

Posted April 16, 2008

Southern Wake Montessori school appears on the surface to be a solid Montessori school. The staff is friendly and the teachers are Montessori trained. When at the school, we were happy overall with the school. However, we moved our children to another Montessori school and learned that they were behind academically for their grade levels. When we discussed with Southern Wake Montessori they acknowledged the input and agreed the concerns we raised were known issues. Luckily our children have been able to bridge the gap through additional work and tutoring and are now performing at or above grade level. If you decide to attend Southern Wake Montessori, make sure you use the teacher's input and also external input to ensure your child is on track academically.

Posted April 12, 2008

My last review was removed. There has recently been huge turnover, including all of the administration. Middle school teachers are leaving, and obviously something is amiss and we are going elsewhere. Teachers have up and quit in the middle of the year two straight years. Last year the school opened late, and communication was terrible. Toddlers were stuck in a real estate office that was apparently not liscensed. I would stay as far away as possible.

Posted April 11, 2008

After much research, we have found a school that is truely interested in our child and not in a process. We have two children who have very diverse learning styles and interests. The teachers are very in tune with each child and are able to give lessons in a way that further their interest in learning. Since joining the school, we have enjoyed watching our children develop and thrive. The school, teachers and the phylosophy provide an unequalled opportunity for our children to develop self confidence, leadership skills and learn beyond what is expected. The experience for our children has been wonderful.

Posted April 7, 2008

I have found this school to be a community of teachers and parents who are extremely dedicated to the education and development of our children. The teachers at SWMS sincerely care for each child. My child has thrived in this environment and we are astonished at how effective the Montessori methods are. Our son is truly cultivating a love of learning. I highly recommend Southern Wake Montessori School.

Posted April 7, 2008

This school is wonderful. The staff and teachers are very dedicated and supportive of the children's well-being, both academically and socially/emotionally. Classrooms are very well-run and organized and allow for freedom and creativity within structure. My 2nd grader has already learned that he works best by beginning his morning with more difficult work. There is a set requirement of work to be done, but there is freedom for the children to choose which order. It really respects the children's autonomy. My 5-year-old has learned to read quickly in a very level-appropriate encouraging way. The Montessori materials make hands-on learning understandable and interesting. Children are always expected to clean up after themselves, and to support and respect each other. Our family has been very happy with the positive environment of this school and it's positive effect it has had on the independence and confidence of our children!

Posted February 7, 2008

I would have to agree with everything written by the previous reviewer. The school is very clean, exceptionally run, and when I have had a problem I felt was concerning, they were eager to listen and it was taken care of. I am especially amazed with which how well all children thrive in this environment. The adherance to the Montessori philosophy can easily be observed. Real Montessori materials are used and I am impressed with how well the classrooms are maintained and updated with new materials. If you want a school where your child will not be held back, but encouraged to grow at their pace, in a loving, caring community, with opportunities to work with excellent materials in a safe, small school environment- this is the place for your child. You will be amazed at how far advanced these students are.

Posted June 17, 2007

This is what a Montessori school should be! We have found the school to be a child focused, organized, dynamic, fun, and detail oriented. The teachers are always positive and sincerely happy to have you and your child be a part of the school. Not only do they measure the child's progress through national testing but they also pay attention to where your child is and show them new work as soon as the child is ready. The class sizes are small, well organized, and structured. The administration is parent friendly in every way, from the way they implement car pool, to the twice a year picture days (sibling group pictures), to the extensive field trips and off site parent child camps. This is the best Montessori school in the Apex area. Come to SWMS.

School start time
  • 8:30
School end time
  • 3:30
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Associations
  • AMS
Fax number
  • (919) 577-0074

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code

Apply now