Antioch Elementary

Public | K-5 | 845 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 8, 2014

I have had 3 children at this school during the last two years. At first I thought it was great! My kids enjoyed learning, they were having good experiences. I felt good when I was at the school volunteering. As time goes by I have realized this school lacks leadership. The principal is a happy cheerleader who mains focus is to cross her T's and dot her I's for the next promotion. There are a lot of teachers who seems to not like their jobs and don't care for the "individual" of the kids. Office staff is over worked and not a positive image to be greeted by. The PTO runs this school. They raise a lot of money with fundraisers and it is spent poorly. These last two years have been a repeat on activities, not much creativity. I would prefer the money was spent on the school to improve learning. I wish they gave the kids opportunities and experiences they can't get else where. But we definitely have food at events and stuff that comes home and goes straight to the trash can.

Posted January 15, 2014

We moved my 2 older sons to this school from a private school. We hoped to improve their academics and socialization. We are halfway through the first school year (K and 3rd), and we are delighted with the academics, the community and the many wonderful offerings. There is a very talented, dynamic staff, and there is terrific family involvement. After years of being hard on public schools I have been converted.

Posted May 11, 2013

The PTO is given a lot of power at the school. The focus seems to be on fundraising more than education. I have never personally dealt with the principal, but several parents have commented that she is not easy to deal with. The education is adequate but the students are not gaining a love for learning. The school makes the students miss recess and walk laps for the most minor infractions . There is no consistency with classroom discipline, even with in the same grade level. My child as well as many others in our neighborhood are unhappy at school.

Posted May 6, 2013

My son attended Antioch Elementary for the first half of his Kindergarten year in 2011. As time passed by, we noticed a change in him. He started not wanting to get up in the morning because he dreaded going to school. He began having breathing problems, due to high anxiety caused by his teacher and any other staff member because they expect so much out of even the Kindergarteners. I did not like the way I was treated by some (including my son's teacher) at times either. I'm not sure his teacher even really enjoys being around kids from what I could see. I felt bad for my son. This was his first year of Elementary, we were excited for him, and his experience was not turning out the way we had hoped it would. I'm not saying the school was terribly horrible. But there is a big difference in that school and the school my son now goes to, that is not in Union County, or Meck. County, or even in the same state. Maybe things have changed since my son attended Antioch. I just know that he's actually happy going to school where he is attending now and does really well, because they aren't so hard on the kids. And I'm happy to take him! : )

Posted February 5, 2013

My children have enjoyed high-quality, caring teachers & good friends. This school curriculum is quite EOG focused. It seems this creates an atmosphere which can sometimes be stressful & dull for students & teachers. The school/PTO is constantly raising money for projects. Meanwhile, Union County cut Spanish classes from elementary schools last year. I wish that taxes were sufficient to support the school better.

Posted January 2, 2013

When looking to move to the Charlotte area we were told what a great school Antioch is. Through interviews with principals and parents at other schools in the area we felt that a move into the Antioch district was the right choice. Since moving here we have come to the conclusion that we were wrong. Elementary schools should be warm and nurturing and should foster a love of learning. In the year we have lived here my children have gone from loving school to dreading waking up every morning. Miss an assignment, walk the trail. Forget homework, can't go back to get it. Talk at lunch..forget it. What happened to the consequence fitting the issue, missing recess for not doing homework or teaching with positive reinforcement. The kids are learning that there are consequences for everything and very little praise. Teachers are always yelling, kids look unhappy as a result. The place is filthy...I wouldn't let my dog into the bathroom there. The only good I can say is that they got rid of the total nut free policy this year so I can send normal kid food for snack and lunch. Strong PTO but focuses too much on fundraising (we have done 5 already and it is only January).

Posted January 20, 2012

This is our first child to enter school so I don't really have a lot to compare it to, but we love Antioch! Our daughter is now in the 1st grade and we have seen the transition of principal from Mr. Hoover to Ms. Dillon. We loved Mr. Hoover. He brought so much energy to the school. Ms. Dillon was his asst. principal so she seems to be following in his footsteps. Everyone, from staff to teachers, is so friendly and caring. As a working mom I can't always participate as much as I would like but I'm never made to feel bad about that. Our daughter is performing very well academically. We couldn't be more pleased.

Posted May 21, 2010

My daughter has really thrived at Antioch. The teachers are very caring. The students are well-behaved, for the most part. The PTO is amazing and works incredibly hard to improve the school, and treat the staff and school to wonderful experiences.

Posted November 6, 2009

Antioch is a wonderful school! I love the administration and the PTO is fabulous. We are moving out of the area and are so sad to leave this wonderful group of teachers, and parents. I wish there were more extracurricular activities but this is a Union County thing and the prinicipal would like it as well but he has to follow rules. Highly recommend Antioch to anyone moving into the area. Warm and welcoming. Lisa C.

Posted May 14, 2008

I love this school! My kids have been going here since it opened in 2004. The teachers are great and the administration is wonderful. The energy of the school is high and everyone is very enthusiastic and happy to be there. If the neighborhood we live in now gets reassigned away from Antioch, we will be moving so my youngest can continue to here.

Posted May 12, 2008

Antioch is a really wonderful school. The entire faculty - teachers, assistants, office personnel, administration - all really have the kids' best interests at heart. They care so deeply about how to best cater to each child's learning style and how to maximize their elementary experience. I'm especially excited about how each child is challenged at his/her particular level rather than being all routed down the same text or subject level. Each education plan is definitely specific to the individual child's level. I can't say enough great things about this school!

Posted December 14, 2007

The new administravtive staff is wonderful, especially Mr. Hoover. He is fantastic.

Posted October 25, 2007

A new principal this year is making great strides. There's no reason this school located in an affluent area shouldn't be fabulous. Mr. Hoover understands that, and it taking full advantage of engaged kids and eager parents. I wholly recommend this school.

Posted October 4, 2007

My son just began kindergarten in September and is having so much fun learning. The principal is new this year and has been very visible and accessable to parents. I'm glad we chose to send our son to Antioch.

Posted September 17, 2007

Have been very pleased with the school so far in this school year. My son seems to be doing very well, and have no complaints with faculty or administration.

Posted June 1, 2007

The leadership is not there for parents. Anything you have to say falls on deaf ears. I am looking at other schools for next year. I will not return to Antioch.

Posted June 1, 2007

I have been very unhappy with this school. I found this school to be very cold. The leadership is useless. Large teacher turnover. I am looking for private school for next year.

Posted March 22, 2007

The Principal is anti-parent input & anti-parent involvement. I've never seen a school where more people are looking to leave it & that includes the teachers. It is a shame b/c it is a beautiful new school.

Posted August 22, 2006

Overall good quality academically. AIG program is excellent. Would like to see more extracurricular activities offered to students. School opened in 2004, but already at capacity, with several trailers. Feeds into either Sun Valley MS/HS or Weddington MS/HS depending on your school boundary.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2013.

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 45% in 2013.

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 44% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 40% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

All Students69%

Proficient in English75%
Non-migrant74%
Academically giftedn/a
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

All Students80%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 12%N/A56%
Source: NCDPI, 2012-2013

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3101 Antioch Church Road