Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)

It has great teachers and helpful staff. We learn great things everyday in a safe environment, and as a high school student in sophomore year, I think it much is better than the CMS schools I went to before. I have had no bad experiences with any teacher or staff, and there is probably 0% of physical bullying. Some of the kids will be jerks to one another, but as long as you make good friends, you will have a great year! The teachers respect the students, the classes interactive and challenging. The level of learning is not too hard, but not too easy either. I know there are a tiny amount of people who aren't that great, but overall this school is worthy of five stars. AMAZING SCHOOL! :D

Amount of homework: Agree

It use to be too much homework but the teachers have listened and now is just right.

It's , a wonderful school. I've been there for 6 years and can attest to how special this school is. As I read the reviews I see that some are so inaccurate. I'm wondering if they even attend. To act like people are leaving plp and that's why spaces are open is not true. It is a very hard school to get in. As far as the sports being non competitive, you cannot count the first year of any sport, every school has that issue. The golf team, swim team and volleyball team all Excel. The middle schools football team won the championship and the high school is runner up. The school just opened up a second campus/sports arena and offer a plethora of extracurricular offerings from the Lower Schools robotics, running and music to the high schools archery, Science Olympiad and much more. The state scores always exceed expectations and not only this school a STEM based school but they now offer Spanish immersion classes. Some of these people have no idea what they are talking about. We have a winning recipe, between the head of school teachers and children and I'm proud to be at PLP.

Noticing that 5 star reviews barely give substance and have pattern of defending negative reviews. Where's the beef? Some observations: PLP is not like private, independent prep school (although hoped it would be since it's free). It's public school w large classes; many cases larger than CMS. There are many inexperienced teachers here who lack understanding of educating children. Not seeing deep resumes you might expect. Facilities are beautiful but outdoor spaces for lower school leave a lot to be desired including narrow dirt pit they call a playground. School's Spanish teacher left suddenly mid-year, not a good sign. My child has not had ability flourish with attempts to standardize children and not celebrate and embrace each child's uniqueness. The lower school 745 start time (dropping off in dark) causes exhaustion, requires a 7pm bedtime for a successful school day the following day + little time for family. School for parents who want to impress the layman by appearing that their uniformed children are in an actual private school. From an insider, the focus is unending fundraising and adults, not children. Wanted to love it, but seeking alternatives.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Class time is short therefore much of the work is doled out in homework. My children had no less that 2 hours per night - even weekends.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

absolutely not - which is why there is high student turnover. If you are reading this, how do you think you got in to PLP? Not because someone moved, but because we are making the choice to leave for better education.

PLP is a public school, charter or not, that has to follow by law the same curriculum as per NC Standards set by the state. The difference is it's overall total grade size is small. however, don't be fooled - individual class sizes are much larger than traditional public in middle and high school. Top Administration are like high schoolers, very cliquish - very intimate with certain families and excluding to many others. Retaliation will decend upon you if you are caught voicing anything they perceive as negative, including the head of school's popular parents Facebook page. High teacher turnover, lots of busy homework, non competitive sports, exteme helicopter parenting by the majority (esp. the admin. kids), and out right false claims on high test scores are all the reality here. Funny how Admin tries tirelessly to convince parents who are none the wiser that this is just like private but free. I can attest that is false. We left because we needed true college prep. and we did not find it here.

My child is in kindergarten this year at PLP. I feel that both the school as a whole and her teachers are fabulous! She is thriving academically and socially. In fact, she told me the other day that she LOVES school. Needless to say, that makes me very happy to hear my child say that. I love that her class feels like a little family. It was evident every time I volunteered this year in her classroom that the students and teachers truly care about each other. On another note, the future of PLP is very exciting! In the fall the school will have its own football/soccer stadium. Also, in two years a STEM building will be built next to the campus. It's delightful to know that this charter school is thriving. I'm so happy that I didn't let the negative reviews about the school hinder my decision in her going to PLP. My husband and I couldn't be happier!

Potential parents and students: notice that all positive reviews are grouped around the same dates; administration is known for rewarding students and parents who post positive reviews. Pine Lake Prep has severe issues when it comes to preparing students for the future. The teachers are all new each year and the turnover is extremely high. Very few possess advanced degrees or certification. The school holds itself up as much better than other alternatives but in reality the class sizes and lack of facilities make it inferior to other area schools. I had three children in Pine Lake and was lucky enough to have them transferred to another area prep. During the time that my children attended, there were constant requests for money and disagreements with teachers concerning missing assignments, which I verified as completed. The teachers are overwhelmed in this environment and work nights and weekends to try to keep up; many of them fail to do so. I attempted to raise my concerns to the administration only to be ignored. Scores are pitiful; learning environment pits parents against educators and makes for a very stressful relationship. My advice, skip this school!

I have 2 children in the LS at Pine Lake. My heart fills with joy each time I go into the school and experience the wonderful environment both my children are privileged to be a part of each day. They are both challenged but not overly so. We all feel a sense of community with the students, teachers and administration. I think it's a great school and I would recommend it to anyone who wants an alternative to their public school.

Last modified Pine Lake Preparatory is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.