Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My grandchild is in high school, yet reading at an elementary level. Yet, she is still allowed to play sports. No teacher has offered extra help or encouragement. Terrible school.

For parents of young african- american male students please reconsider this school as an option. This school and it's current administration will not nurture nor care for your child. Our boys are assumed guilty until proven innocent and are rarely given the benefit of the doubt. There is a systematic attempt in place to weed our boys out of this school and they are relentless in their efforts. You will receive constant emails and calls regarding minute matters that they will blow out of proportion in an attempt to frustrate you to the point of withdrawing your child. The lack of sensitivity and insight they show our children is sad and there is no willingness on the part of the current administration to change.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

If your child is anything other than perfect, there will be major issues and the emails and level of consequences for trivial things are disturbing.

Administration is horrible!!!! On paper they look perfect but ask around before enrolling your children, especially middle and HS students.

We had been lucky enough to win the lottery the first year MICS opened it's doors. We have truly enjoyed our experience here. It has a great reputation in our community, as is evident by the amount of students in the lottery (over 1000+ each year) as well as the students on the waiting list each year. I have never seen such a dedicated staff and administration who work hard to communicate with parents as well as listening to ideas from parents (communication has significantly improved since the school started). Being at this school is like being part of a family. There is a HUGE range of options for athletics for all levels. My kids have participated in their lower school athletic programs, and have really enjoyed them. They have a wonderfully organized "field study" programs that allow students to explore very cool places (ie Space Camp; Jamestown, VA; Raleigh, etc.) The 5th grade class even took a field trip to Carowinds to study force and motion! If you believe in judging a school by test scores, then they speak for themselves. The overall behavior issues in classrooms is significantly less than the surrounding public schools, which allows teachers to teach instead of taking classroom time away from learning. I personally loved their iXL math homework that allowed my children to do math homework on the computer, and instantly provided a response/explanation about their answer. This is so much more effective instead of waiting to get their paper back from their teacher. I just hope that every grade level will move to this option. And, most importantly, my children actually enjoy going to school, which is something they did not do when we went to our local public school. I could go on and on about how truly great our experience, but you'll have to find out for yourself (if you are lucky enough to win the lottery :) Good luck!

Our family has attended this school from the day it opened. First few years we really thought it was a sound educational institution but as we keep moving up in the school, we see the problems arising and there are a lot of reasons why which I can't get into. I think the elementary school is great but as the kiddos reach middle and upper school, tests scores go down and the teaching does as well. Still looking to transfer my kids out but are pretty much stuck there until then. I know a lot of families who have been there since day one as well, have been transferring their kids and we are the families who are the core of that school (volunteers, fundraising, donations) and I just see this school going down quickly as all of these wonderful people are leaving. Who is going to be left to do the volunteering or fundraising or donating to special projects or to the classrooms? It's very sad really. I am one looking to get out while I can.

My child started MICS in 5th grade! She will walk in Monday morning to start her freshman year! I work in public school. I am thrilled with the education she is receiving. She has grown as a student and as a young lady. I am pleased with her teachers as well as adminstration. She doesn't get lost in the system. I have never felt unwelcomed nor has my husband ( we both work). The MICS website is always update to date. Mics is growing she enjoys playing soccer for her school. We are truly blessed to be at MICS. I could not ask for a better school to send my most precious gift too. I am a proud MICS mom!

This is our second year at the school and we are considering other options for next year. There is favoritism at this school. I have personally witnessed children chastised for behaviors while the behavior of children whose parents work at the school is overlooked. There are far too many of these children or children of overly involved parents. Typical working couples will not feel welcome here. The communication is horrendous. The staff needs to revisit the basics of communication skills and provide parents with what they need to know and when they need to know it. As only one of many examples to relay, the bell schedule changed this year. To date, absolutely no communication was sent about the change in car riders drop off times. This effectively puts those who need to be at work at the mercy of their incredibly poorly run before school program. Overall, I would not recommend.

I am getting ready to register my son for kindergarten in the next couple weeks and so far I am very happy with my experience with MICS. They have answered my questions in a timely manner, they have always been pleasant to deal with and shown me nothing but respect. I have had experiences with other charter schools where they were pushy and rude. I am eager to see what happens in the fall at MICS.

MICS was a terrible place to work! The teachers are expected to write unrealistic lesson plans with overtly detailed report cards. Several teachers have left the teaching field completely after working there. Unless you have a "colt" like mentality, your life will be challenging! They (board and administration) are "creative" with finances and can't be trusted. I left for a better situation and have been much happier since. The turnover of staff is less than desirable and more people are unhappy than happy. Most parents keep kids there as a better of two evils (community school is worse than MICS) and a place holder until they can get into a better charter school. Looks are deceiving and there are much better charter programs available. I WOULD NOT send my own children there!

Last modified Mountain Island Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-10. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.