Public charter
Raleigh, NC

Posted March 30, 2015
We have a 2nd and 4th grader in the Exploris elementary school and we absolutely love it! The enthusiasm and creativity that the teachers bring to the classroom is amazing. They make the subjects relevant by combining all learning areas under one theme. I regularly get emails from my kids' teachers on the weekend and in the evenings, that's how dedicated the staff is. My kids are learning so many things without feeling like they just have to cram things down. Don't get me wrong, the program is rigorous and given that the elementary school is new, they are also working very hard at also getting the kids to the same level at some of the underlying fundamentals. One of the most important aspects for our family is how much emphasis is put on collaboration and the social and emotional development of the children. The elementary school has a whole school community circle for 30+ minutes every Friday where they share in their successes, make little presentations and give each other praise on an individual level for things well done, even if they are just small acts of kindness. We can't wait to sign our third child up for K in the 2016 school year.

Posted March 25, 2015
"Mom, I had no idea school could be like this. They trick us into learning by making it fun and real."

Posted February 05, 2015
This school has been absolutely amazing for our 2 kids. They have never been so happy to go to school each day. They have NEVER had a bad day and will actually tell me what they did when I ask how school was! Instead of the usual "school was fine" answer. They are learning things I wouldn't expect at their grade level so they are challenged (which I love!) but teachers are always available and ridiculously nice if children need extra help. I mean they go above and beyond! Willing to come in at the crack of dawn or stay late to help students. They are so kind and truly care about your child and their success. The class sizes are small and the kids are able to work together to complete hands on projects. The staff truly gets to know your child and they all know my kids by name. This has the feeling of a private school without the tuition! A very small close knit community environment. My shy kids have come out of their shells and are not nervous to ask questions and speak up in class. The kids are so kind to each other too which is the most amazing thing to see. I love it. I cannot say enough good things about it!

Posted November 14, 2014
Exploris has been a BLESSING for my son. My son is in the 5th grade, (first year for the Exploris elementary school) and he is thriving! His teacher is AWESOME, Katie makes him feel as though he has value and he says she's one of the best teachers he's ever had. He says his teacher and class are like a second family, I've never heard him say that about his teachers or even his classmates before. Exploris is a hands on learning environment and there's something special about the way the teach, my child remembers what he's learned. Exploris teaches their students about what it means to be part of a community, which is very important since this message is not really taught in the traditional public schools. These lessons have made my son become more self-confident (which he hasn't been for a couple of years) and he's excelling in his studies. It says a lot to me as a parent to see my child happy and excited about learning!

Posted September 29, 2014
Exploris is a project-based schools that offers students opportunities to explore the world through their studies, projects, communication with community members, and interaction with international partners. The teachers incorporate global information into most subject areas and encourage engagement in the community. Academic achievement is high and challenging for students of all levels. Finally, the need to respect the environment and those living in it is emphasized at Exploris.

Exploris 1

Posted September 28, 2014
This school is the worst school i have ever been to.it is like elementary school.They have a chubby that is a square. And they have a hook to put there book bags on. each grade has two class rooms. there are four teachers for each grade. That means that there are 30 kids in a class room.they only have art and p.e. But they call there P.E wellness because they don't have a gym.They have a basement which they panted green and blue waves . They make the kids bring there lunch because they don't have a lunch room or provide lunch for the kids.they kids have to ride a city bus to get to school the bus would pick up and drop the kids of at places like stores for their parents to pick them up. the kids still go play outside. in the parking lot for the school because they don't have a play ground. the kids there are bad roll molds. I will never go back to that school because it was the worst place i have ever went to!!!!!!!

Posted December 03, 2013
I love this school! I love that my child has friends of all different abilities and has learned to be compassionate and kind to all. My child is shy and Exploris has offered him the space to bloom. The teachers make time to talk to individual students about their own needs and goals, which makes all the learning very personal and real to my child. The students get real world experiences, by doing volunteering out of the school on a weekly basis. Field trips are a regular occurrence and the students seem to feel connected the the downtown community. I love it!

Exploris 2

Posted December 02, 2013
Good: loved the teachers, as in our public school experience. Inclusive environment for those with behavioral issues, disabilities. Estimate to 2/3 of students in my child s class, likely have diagnoses. Liked recreational sports. Our child is happy, settled. Have not seen any incidents of bullying. Racially diverse, not economically diverse. Bad: academically, our child has declined significantly. EOG dropped 40 points for reading (compared to every prior year in school). Safety: 0 out of 5 stars. No routine background checks on staff until Sept 2013 when the law forced this change. There are no checks, policy, or monitoring at all for volunteers (any adult can drive/coach, no drivers license, insurance proof, no monitoring). Charters do not have buses so parents/volunteers drive the kids to everything. Your child is placed with people you do not know, at times you do not know. There is no policy/guidelines for absence due to illness, making up homework, sign in/out for appointments. Very basic standards/policies to run a school are not in place. No centralized planner to follow (like Blackboard) on what is due when. Would not have chosen Exploris, if we had to do again.

Posted September 11, 2013
Exploris has been a wonderful educational experience for my child. Teachers set high expectations for the students, and create support systems to help students achieve the expectations. Skills learned in core classes are reinforced with theme projects which students work on as a group, and as an individual. I love the fact that community services and being a citizen in a global world is emphasized along with critical thinking. Giving more children an opportunity to experience this type of education would be a great improvement.

Posted September 11, 2013
I love going to Exploris. The teachers are there to help you, and they are there to talk to you. The students there are so nice and accept you no matter what you like or what you wear. Exploris is all about learning hands on and working together. Almost every week all the crews/homerooms will get together and work on something that will let the students get to know each other better and give them a chance to talk to other people. Exploris is not the type of school that get students ready just to pass a test, but they make sure that their students learn and take what they learn with them.

Exploris
401 Hillsborough St., Raleigh, NC  27601
Last modified Exploris is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Exploris Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top