Public charter
Raleigh, NC

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted August 21, 2015
Some teachers were much better than others. A couple were a real problem for us and did not want to work with our needs.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted August 21, 2015
6th grade was okay, a little heavy but not too bad, it started to get too much in 7th and 8th grade was way too much.

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted August 21, 2015
No, my child learned that once he stepped into high school, he had no motivation at Exploris, it was not encouraged at a level that motivates kids.

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted August 21, 2015
See other comments, many of the teacher behavior was not respectful so what does that teach the children?

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted August 21, 2015
Exploris gets a lot of kids with issues, behavioral issues, Autism, etc. the school should focus on teaching the students how to be compassionate and deal with these issues instead the teachers modeled very poor behavior in how they treated kids with these differences, it was very disturbing.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted August 21, 2015
They did not address bullying sufficiently and this is an aspect of these character traits. We also had situations were teachers lied and it was frustrating.

Exploris 2

Posted August 21, 2015
Middle school Troubles: We had a great experience for 6th grade but we're not happy with the changes that happened in 7th and 8th, PE became yoga class, there were much less off campus opportunities, there was bullying, and the academic topics were obscure and didn't prepare the students well for high school. The way they taught high school math 1 and 2 was very confusing , we finally left part way through 8th grade so we could make sure our child was academically prepared for high school. We were glad we did and our high school transition went much smoother after studying the right topics in 8th grade.

Posted March 30, 2015
We have a 2nd and 4th grader in the Exploris elementary school and we absolutely love it! The enthusiasm and creativity that the teachers bring to the classroom is amazing. They make the subjects relevant by combining all learning areas under one theme. I regularly get emails from my kids' teachers on the weekend and in the evenings, that's how dedicated the staff is. My kids are learning so many things without feeling like they just have to cram things down. Don't get me wrong, the program is rigorous and given that the elementary school is new, they are also working very hard at also getting the kids to the same level at some of the underlying fundamentals. One of the most important aspects for our family is how much emphasis is put on collaboration and the social and emotional development of the children. The elementary school has a whole school community circle for 30+ minutes every Friday where they share in their successes, make little presentations and give each other praise on an individual level for things well done, even if they are just small acts of kindness. We can't wait to sign our third child up for K in the 2016 school year.

Posted March 25, 2015
"Mom, I had no idea school could be like this. They trick us into learning by making it fun and real."

Posted February 05, 2015
This school has been absolutely amazing for our 2 kids. They have never been so happy to go to school each day. They have NEVER had a bad day and will actually tell me what they did when I ask how school was! Instead of the usual "school was fine" answer. They are learning things I wouldn't expect at their grade level so they are challenged (which I love!) but teachers are always available and ridiculously nice if children need extra help. I mean they go above and beyond! Willing to come in at the crack of dawn or stay late to help students. They are so kind and truly care about your child and their success. The class sizes are small and the kids are able to work together to complete hands on projects. The staff truly gets to know your child and they all know my kids by name. This has the feeling of a private school without the tuition! A very small close knit community environment. My shy kids have come out of their shells and are not nervous to ask questions and speak up in class. The kids are so kind to each other too which is the most amazing thing to see. I love it. I cannot say enough good things about it!

401 Hillsborough St., Raleigh, NC  27601
Last modified Exploris is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Exploris Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top