Bad
Good

Teachers, staff, administration and parents all work together to make every child academically successful. Root is a wonderful school.

The teachers and counselor are very supportive if your child has issues with school work or personal. They go out of their way to make sure your child excells. I LOVE THIS SCHOOL!

My experience this year has been poor with how the school structure is run. I feel it caters to the wealthy kids and makes excuses when it comes to taking care of the rest of the class. It is a beautiful school set in a very nice neighborhood, but the rich parents get whatever they want and their kids get special treatment, and it is just not an environment I want my child around.

Root is the BEST! We have the best principal, PTA, parents and teachers. I have 3 children and of them have or are attending Root!

Great school! My child has received a great education and we love the small size. Top notch media center specialist and music teacher of the year for the state of NC. Parents that have written negative reviews seem to have special needs children. I can only speak to for my child. He AG and has received outstanding services.

I agree 100% with the parent below who posted April 4. This is a very nice looking school and they have a great PTA. But everything else about this school is not great to my opinion. I would like to point out that a certain group of kids that make up the minority of the school are not treated like the majority group of kids. I also believe that some of the teachers at this school do not desire to have the minority group of kids or struggling group of kids in their class and they make it very obvious to both the kids and their parents. I had to fight tooth and nail to make sure my child was being treated fairly. Some of the teachers have poor communication skills with the parents and when very involved parents try to voice their opinion, these certain teachers make you feel as if you re annoying them. I am also one of the parents who are looking to transfer my child to another school. One that is diverse, compassionate, and welcoming.

My children have attended Root as their only school. The new principal is a strong leader and is making positive changes for the bettement of ALL students. The leadership from the administration and parental involvement make this school a great learning environment. The WCPSS overall faces challenges so I think the leadership DOES respond to parents and DOES increase academic expectations. I do think that the faculty is welcoming more parental involvement as far as volunteerism and assistance within the classroom, which is a shift from the previous leadership. It is my sense that Root is a wonderful school, has very caring faculty, staff and families. Meaningful requests from families that genuinely need additional intervention has occured and I know that from first hand experience. Families at Root who have the most success, as in ANY school, are the ones who remain involved with their children's entire educational experience, both at home and in the classroom.

My children attended here for two years, but have since changed schools. Despite a great cohort of students, a strong PTA, a great new school facility, and a few good faculty members, the leadership (new principal and asst principal) consistently disappoint children and families of all backgrounds. My high-performing children were left to languish with little challenge; children from struggling backgrounds were greeted with minimal expectations. Leadership did nothing to help children meet or rise above their abilities. Families who request more for their children are considered "bothers" and met with contempt. There is an increasing exodus of families who are seeking schools, private and public, elsewhere. It started as a trickle last year and now parents are stampeding out the door, looking widely for other educational options. Until leadership improves significantly and academic expectations and capacities increase, I imagine the school will continue to be under-enrolled.

We love this school. Staff cares about the students, teachers are wonderful.

This school is full of love, leadership and a desire to learn and educate. Our new principal sings the morning announcements and wrote a school song. Our students are enjoying learning this wonderful song along with the positive energy that he, along with his staff, provide for us all. We are truly a wonderful elementary family that shares in the love of a child to reach the highest potential academically and personally. We are the future leaders of the United States of America.

Last modified Root Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.