Posted December 16, 2013
Disorganized. Cold. Impersonal. The turn over rate in administration / teachers is beyond concerning. Regrettably I have two children that attend. One has been here for 6 years. There was a noticeable difference in 'feeling' & organization since they made it a 'renaissance' school. There have been some amazing teachers, however, it seems they last only a year. There has not been an involved, approachable or down to earth principal since Jennifer Carnes. It would appear that the multiple principals passing through are more concerned with climbing a corporate ladder than with creating a warm nurturing environment within the school/classroom. I honestly feel bad for many of the teachers as they are under such pressure to raise test scores they don't have the time to connect with the students as they wish. Our disappointment runs deep, and this is not for giving it a fair shake. Students feel the unstable atmosphere,walking through the halls, you don't see children smiling ever! The principal is now Lutashia Dove; unapproachable and inept. She may talk a good talk but has lost our support as parents due to the inability to find a balance in procedure and nurturing environment.

Posted August 06, 2012
My child attended wilburn and praise God she is out! Teachers are not there to teach yet to have social hour and talk on thier phones! It is a horrible school for support for your child that needs extra help! The principal says he cares and that he is only a phone call away! Joke! I think the way that the good kids never get a great job and positive outcome all the kids that are a constant problem get the attention and support please do yourself a favor and do not put your child in wilburn it will be the worst thing you do for your child! There is no support for parents and kids at all! The turn over rate is sad you may have a different teacher by the end of the year! Principal said he hired the best! He isnt the best and teachers are very unhappy! I am happy my child is out and goes to a school where they now know wilburn taught nothing!

Posted April 30, 2011
I have 2 children in this school. My experiences have not been grand. Class sizes are huge. Teachers are unable to control their classes, and hand out huge amounts of additional homework as punishments. The school utilizes a punish the whole class for the one or two children who cause issues. They also use children to police children, which results in kids getting blamed for getting each other into trouble, as well as kids getting into trouble because another student does not like them. Positive reinforcement is not a tool that is used in this school. The principal is a gem, but teachers are lackluster. If you're ready to have your child walking laps on a daily basis because of 1 or 2 children, this is the school to do it in.

Posted February 16, 2011
I have one child in kindergarten and, even though I like the teacher, overall I'm not happy. Too-large class sizes (28 in my child's class), along with lackluster parent involvement and an inept PTA make Wilburn a disappointment for me. This school offers nothing extra, except Odyssey of the Mind, and that is only for older children. With so many great schools in Wake county, you would think the staff would take notice and amp up their programs or add a little extra something. However, like one reviewer said, I guess it's just a glorified daycare.

Posted August 31, 2010
I have an 8yr old that attends Wilburn and I have not always had the best experience with Wilburn. I am happy to say that her 3rd grade year has been a really good year for her. She is doing very well in all of her subjects yet continuing to improve and showing a lot more interest in Math so things seem to be on the right track!!

Wilburn Elementary 0

Posted May 27, 2009
This is an excellent school.

Wilburn Elementary 2

Posted April 29, 2009
I think this school is okay for starters being that it is a neighborhood school, but the school itself, I dont think is a school that helps advance the kids for their near future. My child is in kindergarden, and Ive been impatiently waiting for a transfer. The school does lack funds, which lacks extra activities for the children, and parent involvement. Its more of a daycare, than a actual school and lets face it schools meaning teachers arent the same overrall anyway, but Im sure I can find some other school close enough.

Wilburn Elementary 0

Posted October 19, 2007
My son began attending last year, he entered as a second grader. His teacher was wonderful. My son was behind in reading and after one year, he is now above grade level. It was incredible! When I first walked into this school, I felt right at home and I knew this was the school for my child. At the time, I was teaching in the county and could have had my son attend an elementary school in an 'upscale' community. Yes, the school lacks funds and it is very unfair that parents have to provide so many materials and the building is old and needs repairs...which I believe it is slated to receive. All I can say is that my son LOVES to read now and is excelling in math. Do not be fooled by test scores, they are not indicitive of school climate, just its social class.

Posted July 18, 2007

Posted May 20, 2007
We pulled our son out of this school after a horrible year. This school isn't at the same standards as others in the area. I miss year round though.

Wilburn Elementary
3707 Marsh Creek Road, Raleigh, NC  27604
Last modified Wilburn Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Wilburn Elementary Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 12 reviews.