Raleigh, NC

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted July 17, 2015
I feel that this school does implement some honesty, some integrity, and fairness to their students, but it varies depending on the teacher.

Wilburn Elementary 2

Posted July 17, 2015
There are a lot of children with social and emotional issues, which I feel create barriers to learning for the kids who want to learn. Moreover, I know some kids who attend this school who are not on grade level.

Wilburn Elementary 4

Posted June 03, 2015
I feel the experience that I had at Wilburn started out rough but at this point i am satisfied. This perspective is taken from my evaluation of Teacher Experience and the way a teacher is teaching to your child. The fist year my daughter was in kindergarten and i felt like the way my daughter was taught during the first year was very harsh and she had to be able to catch on quick in kindergarten to a systematic of test and evaluations and at that age 5 she was not use to that method of teaching, it was very hard throw a child from daycare into that type of teaching environment was very hard for her, I felt as though the teacher did not understand at take time and develop a student opposed to just trying to test or evaluate them, Now that my daughter is now in the first grade with Ms Lingenheld, I feel her teaching methods are more understandable to the children and updated, they are having fun learning as they develop their skills of being responsible for their work, i feel that i gave Wilburn a second chance because of The Principal Ms Dove who is very relatable Principal who you can talk to when you need to and she encouraged me to give it another chance with Ms Lingenheld and I am glad i did, because my daughter loves going to school everyday and looks forward to it...Ms LIngenheld definitely knows how to inspire while promoting and introducing education to your child. Although I feel parents will always be the biggest advocate and first Teacher for their child, having a great teacher like Ms. Lingenheld definitely helps your child want to learn and have a great learning experience.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted June 03, 2015

Wilburn Elementary 5

Posted May 22, 2015
This is my child second year the first year not so great in Kindergarten, but now that she is in first grade this year at Wilburn and so far it has been amazing!! Her teacher is Ms Lingenheld and she has been great !!! My daughter loves going to school and learning each day. I feel that her teaching style is not only technologically updated but also structured and fun.. I also feel that Ms. Lingenheld is very personable person to communicate your with regarding your child's needs and or progress, also helpful with letting you know what maybe your child's challenges if any..I believe that not only parents need to be responsible for their child academic progress but it doesn't hurt to have a Great teacher that is willing to teach your child in a way that they can understand..Hopefully your lucky enough to have this Teacher!!

Posted December 16, 2013
Disorganized. Cold. Impersonal. The turn over rate in administration / teachers is beyond concerning. Regrettably I have two children that attend. One has been here for 6 years. There was a noticeable difference in 'feeling' & organization since they made it a 'renaissance' school. There have been some amazing teachers, however, it seems they last only a year. There has not been an involved, approachable or down to earth principal since Jennifer Carnes. It would appear that the multiple principals passing through are more concerned with climbing a corporate ladder than with creating a warm nurturing environment within the school/classroom. I honestly feel bad for many of the teachers as they are under such pressure to raise test scores they don't have the time to connect with the students as they wish. Our disappointment runs deep, and this is not for giving it a fair shake. Students feel the unstable atmosphere,walking through the halls, you don't see children smiling ever! The principal is now Lutashia Dove; unapproachable and inept. She may talk a good talk but has lost our support as parents due to the inability to find a balance in procedure and nurturing environment.
3 people found this helpful

Posted August 06, 2012
My child attended wilburn and praise God she is out! Teachers are not there to teach yet to have social hour and talk on thier phones! It is a horrible school for support for your child that needs extra help! The principal says he cares and that he is only a phone call away! Joke! I think the way that the good kids never get a great job and positive outcome all the kids that are a constant problem get the attention and support please do yourself a favor and do not put your child in wilburn it will be the worst thing you do for your child! There is no support for parents and kids at all! The turn over rate is sad you may have a different teacher by the end of the year! Principal said he hired the best! He isnt the best and teachers are very unhappy! I am happy my child is out and goes to a school where they now know wilburn taught nothing!

Posted April 30, 2011
I have 2 children in this school. My experiences have not been grand. Class sizes are huge. Teachers are unable to control their classes, and hand out huge amounts of additional homework as punishments. The school utilizes a punish the whole class for the one or two children who cause issues. They also use children to police children, which results in kids getting blamed for getting each other into trouble, as well as kids getting into trouble because another student does not like them. Positive reinforcement is not a tool that is used in this school. The principal is a gem, but teachers are lackluster. If you're ready to have your child walking laps on a daily basis because of 1 or 2 children, this is the school to do it in.

Wilburn Elementary 3

Posted February 16, 2011
I have one child in kindergarten and, even though I like the teacher, overall I'm not happy. Too-large class sizes (28 in my child's class), along with lackluster parent involvement and an inept PTA make Wilburn a disappointment for me. This school offers nothing extra, except Odyssey of the Mind, and that is only for older children. With so many great schools in Wake county, you would think the staff would take notice and amp up their programs or add a little extra something. However, like one reviewer said, I guess it's just a glorified daycare.

Wilburn Elementary 3

Posted August 31, 2010
I have an 8yr old that attends Wilburn and I have not always had the best experience with Wilburn. I am happy to say that her 3rd grade year has been a really good year for her. She is doing very well in all of her subjects yet continuing to improve and showing a lot more interest in Math so things seem to be on the right track!!

3707 Marsh Creek Road, Raleigh, NC  27604
Last modified Wilburn Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Wilburn Elementary Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top