Public charter
Wake Forest, NC
Students enrolled: 1,594

Posted June 02, 2015
Teachers that care and small class sizes. We are blessed to be a part of the FA family

Franklin Academy 2

Posted April 22, 2015
This school is about to lose its best benefit- everyone over a certain GPA gets their transcript sent to colleges showing they are 1st in their class. This means that some classes have had more than 10 "valedictorians" (that's like 10% of the class), each one getting their transcripts sent to colleges showing they are 1st in the class, and this has made it really easy for unqualified students to get into competitive schools like UNC. But I think that's about to end, since the state is making AP and honors classes worth less, so you can t hit the valedictorian GPA. I guess from the perspective of a former valedictorian, there are some bad points. I've had a pretty rough time in college, and I think my words to current FA students would be that what you learned in high school only covers the first month of college, and extra credit doesn't exist in college. My advice to the administration would be to have stronger alumni relations so you can see how we all do, but somehow I think the they aren t open to feedback or change. This isn't a bad school - it is pretty sheltered, and the academics are pretty good - but it sure isn't a "prep" school or a "public-private" school.

Franklin Academy 2

Posted January 15, 2015
I am a student here at Franklin academy and first off the "students" who wrote the comments down below, I guarantee you it was our administration because no child in there right mind would write a review like that. I remember when I was in middle school I use to pretend I was sick once a week because I hated school so much. The students here do not have a voice. I don't recall the last time a decent lesson was taught. The teachers here are awful. I am sleep deprived. I am sure your kids would be happier any where else I guarantee you. Thank you

Posted October 25, 2014
I have children that have attended this school all the way through the ranks: elementary, middle and now high. I will give the pros and cons to everyone that wants a complete overview: Pros: small class sizes, fantastic teachers (not a bad one yet), direct instruction, high academic performance, a true prep school, every student is known by name and they follow the students through their career, state of the art apple products throughout the system with ipads issued to all high school students. Cons: Little economic and racial diversity, middle school administration is authoritarian, the students are very sheltered by their parents sometimes to the point of naivete, very weak athletic programs due to the school's small size. lots of gossip is shared amongst the administration. Overall, if you want a high level of instruction with an increasing workload every year in preparation for college with strict codes of conduct then this is a school for your kids. If you want a large and diverse student body to introduce your children to the "real world" with plenty of athletic programs and the scholarships that go with them, then you can find better options than FA.

Posted August 31, 2014
I am a Senior at the Franklin Academy, and will graduate in 2015. The Franklin Academy has provided a consistent, professional, and effective education for me, as well as my peers. I have NEVER BEEN DISAPPOINTED with my time at this school. Every day is productive, yet school is always enjoyable. The staff and administration are accessible and friendly. I have attended two other schools previously, but neither of my previous "schools" had a true passion for education like we do at Franklin Academy. While academics here are #1, there are also a plethora of elective opportunities. The interests of the student body here are truly diverse. Some of my friends are really into band or chorus, while others are into visual art or video production. Electives at Franklin are all superb and professionally instructed; time spent in the classroom is always truly enriching. Some of the favorite elective offerings lately are Video Production, Piano Lab, Actor's Ensemble, Musical Theatre, and Lifetime Sports--just to name a few. While hard work is the objective at FA, we also have a lot of fun as well! If you "win the lottery" and get into Franklin Academy, it is a true blessing!

Posted August 19, 2014
Our experiences at Franklin Academy have been nothing but positive. The communication from teachers and administrators is fantastic and my child really responds to the structure of the school. Yes, it is more rigorous than what we were used to. Yes, they have high expectations and fairly strict rules. But the students seem to respond well to being expected to perform and teachers are right there to help if there is a question or problem. We came to FA from another highly rated WCPSS elementary school and, frankly, the difference between the two schools is huge. At Franklin, I feel like my child is a part of a community that is invested in his success. At his old school, he was just a number. One thing to note, though: there is definitely a transition period when coming to Franklin from another school. It look my son a few weeks to get the hang of the new system. Once he did, though, he definitely rose to the challenge.

Franklin Academy 1

Posted July 19, 2014
Horrible experience!! DO NOT SEND YOUR KIDS HERE!! This school has racism, discrimination and hatefulness. And all of that is from the teachers to start. We had an awful experience and we pulled our child from the school. Complete utter disregard to the emotional issues they caused by allowing discrimination to fester in their school.

Posted May 14, 2014
If your child isn't academically advanced, gifted or willing to work hard, please do not send him or her to FAHS. The curriculum and work load intensifies with each year, as it should, to prepare your student for the rigors of college courses. I am most impressed with the teacher communication. Whatever you need, they are on it! If you have an issue, the principal is open to conversation and change (if needed). The front desk staff is just about the most welcoming and efficient you will ever find. The teachers are truly devoted to their students, know their stuff and have a genuine desire to see your child succeed.

Posted February 05, 2014
I am a student here at Franklin Academy and have been attending FA since kindergarten. FA is a wonderful environment for students, teachers, and parents. All in all there is no bullying. The teachers here want to help you succeed and they will do their best to make sure that you do. Strangely enough, I do love uniforms. It evens the plying field for everyone and allows students to focus on the important things. However, FA does have several ridicules dress code rules that they really push and will drive you out of your mind! Other than that though you will enjoy your experience at FA and will be very proud of where you can go with it.

Posted February 04, 2014
We are in the second half of our first year at FA. It is a very structured and ridged routine for a kindergartner. Our child has had a hard time conforming to the behavioral standards that the school requires. Thankfully, all of the teachers are more than willing to speak with us and help in any way. While this has been an issue to overcome, our child loves the school and teachers. I have had quite a few communications with different levels of the school, and all have been very helpful, responsive, and informative.

Franklin Academy
1127 Chalk Road, Wake Forest, NC  27587
Last modified Franklin Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Franklin Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 65 reviews. Top