Waxhaw, NC
Students enrolled: 1,383

Posted May 15, 2014
Definitely disappointed in MRMS. While most of the teachers are capable and have your child's best interest at heart, there are some that truly do not and unfortunately the administration fails to see what is right in front of them. Bullying is also a huge problem and unless you can prove it, i.e. a teacher seeing it....again there is very little accountability and it continues without reprimand. The front office staff is unfriendly and they seem "bothered" when you enter. Overall, I would choose a different school for my middle schooler, unless of course, you prefer a school that cares more about social status than your child.

Posted February 19, 2014
At Marvin Ridge, teachers are truly caring, helpful, knowledgeable and fully dedicated in teaching students and helping them mature and grow. This is a phenomenal school.

Posted January 14, 2014
I am a 7th grader at MRMS, and I can't say I've fully enjoyed my experience. It often seems that teachers couldn't care less about me. I understand the student-teacher ratio is not a good one, but many teachers seem to do little to try and help students at all. Some teachers also give extreme amounts of homework, and I often am kept up all night on said homework. It is true, however, that there is little to no bullying at this school. However, cliques rule the school, and new kids are immediately kicked to the curb to fend for themselves. The counslers are no help whatsoever either, as if you come in for whatever reason, they quickly accuse you of doing something wrong. The principal is very distant and doesn't really interact with the kids. But what annoys me most, wishing to be a manga artist upon growing up, is that in this school, study of creative arts/he arts is shoved under the bus. You can either take band for your elective (45 minute per day class) or switch between a chinese-spainsh-art-drama-chorus. You can't do both. The curriculum only focuses on EOG test scores and nothing else, preventing learning growth. If I could, I would honestly switch to a private school.
2 people found this helpful

Marvin Ridge Middle School 1

Posted November 24, 2013
Beautiful campus, but the majority of the staff could care less about you child. Teachers would rather give a student a zero on an assignment than communicate with the parent or student. Directions are vague and communication from teachers rarely occurs. Most teachers will not even respond to an email and students are afraid to ask questions in class for fear of being written up or yelled at in front of the class.

Posted September 16, 2012
This school PTSO, Sports booster club, teams are run by a priveleged community. While the support to these programs seems second to none, it also is so political and not serving of the whole school community. Many kids are preselected on their parents merit or donations of time or money. Fact is we have the population to field many teams that would be competitive, but a handful of preseleted get chosen over and over. Too many cliques are an intimidating distraction. Other kids get ignored for no good reasion except their parents didnt know the right coach or live in the right neighborhood. Behavior problems and bullying is ignored and consequences are minimal. Several jock bullies who barely make the grades to pass, often are still allowed to play these sports with such poor grades. How sad is that when the school prioirty is sports over academics. If you arent the richest or the absolute best, you might want to find a community school that will be more balanced and offer your child a chance to succeed. We are cotemplating moving 10 minutes East or South to be part of a much friendlier Union County school community.

Posted May 31, 2012
I have a daughter in this school and she is doing well in all her classes. The academics are average or above. Unfortunately the administration is below average. The front office staff is rude and not considerate to parents. There is no helpful atmosphere and the principal(Broome) and vice principal(Petus) are very protective of their working enviroment that they tend to be less than genuine in their actions. In my opinion the staff needs to be more respective to parents who are trying to help thier children and the principal needs to be more open to the parents concerns and not so isolated.

Posted May 22, 2012
I am a parent who had moved in 2007 from the North, our Son was in 7th Grade and 8th Grade and we couldn't be happier with this school. At the time Dr Bulla was the principal and he was awesome. We moved to another State in 2009 which we love, we also love the school however life takes us back to Marvin Ridge Schools as my daughter will be going into 7th grade and our son will be a senior at the High School. We are very pleased to be going back to a wonderful school from what I remember.

Marvin Ridge Middle School 1

Posted September 26, 2011
I have sort of a problem with the person bellow my comment's responce. I guess you were a former student of Marvin Ridge for half a year but I was there for a whole school year. Things could of gotten better since I left but I know I was very unsatified with the way things were ran there. I was a student that needed help with my math and science and I felt like I never got the attention and support I needed to suceed. Sure they pulled me out of my electives for extra help, but it didn't benefit me one bit. I think that the kids there weren't the nicest kids on the planet, you have to find your right clique because it's a school full of cliques. Social status is mostly based on "Who has the most money" especially when you play a sport because it's extremely expensive and for me unaffordable there. I reccomend this school for people coming to the Charlotte/Marvin area that's afraid to put there child through CMS because I understand 100% where your coming from but I prefer CMS. Very diverse and great schools are right over the border!

Posted September 13, 2011
Very well run school with excellent curriculum. A few staff members with northern ties need to be a little more considerate. Otherwise great!

Posted July 25, 2011
I went to Marvin Ridge for half a school year. I absolutely loved it! Every one of my teachers were very supportive and encouraging. Unlike, what another person wrote bullying is taken care of very well. I don't shop at expensive stores and i'm not a cheerleader or football player. When I was at MRMS, we had a whole anti-bullying week. There were even "bully boxes" if there was a problem. I fully recommend MRMS!!

Marvin Ridge Middle School
2831 Crane Road, Waxhaw, NC  28173
Last modified Marvin Ridge Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Marvin Ridge Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top