Wilmington, NC
After care: No

Posted September 25, 2014
I am a student here at Williston Middle. I like the teachers, most of them are very good educators, the rest not so much. The administration is okay, The office staff isn't the best, and they are pretty slow. Dr. Oates, is very determined to make WMS the greatest school under the sun! He's awesome! The 6th grade Assistant Principal LITERALLY babies the 6th graders. She acts like they're toddlers or something. She is very annoying, actually. I know she is committed to her job, but she just loves to baby students. The 7th grade principal, is awesome, he always comes with a smile everyday, and treats the students as if there were his equal. He is very comfortable to be around. The 8th grade principal is very mean and intimidating. She makes me feel uncomfortable. As for other staff, the elective teachers are great. They are passionate about teaching. AIG, ESL, EC, and support staff are really great. One of the only problems I don't understand is the uniform. The 6th graders can't wear jeans, which I don't understand, and if you are out of uniform, it is automatic ISS. WMS, is pretty good, if we keep trying we can make it the greatest school under the sun!

Posted September 24, 2014
I go to williston im in 7th grade and it is actually a really good school just in a bad part of town the teachers and other staff members there are mostly super cool and for me actually make learning a little fun and they care about us alot and are all really nice i am glad i go to williston because if i didnt i wouldnt have alot of the friends i have and learning wouldn't be as fun!

Posted February 24, 2014
Williston had a reputation of being a bad school in a bad part of town. This school year is different. There are new teachers and new administration. The principal is no joke.Dr. Oats is making it a safe and desirable place for his students. It is like he is Joe Clark from the Lean on Me movie. I can't wait to see how the school improves. This is just his first year there.

Posted December 16, 2013
Our son is 7th grade at Williston. I must say that this school has made huge progress in just a few months time under the direction of their new and dynamic principal, Dr. Jerry Oates. The AIG program is much stronger also and we have been very happy with the quality of the 7th grade teachers. Enrollment is picking up here so just a word to the wise: Soon this will be one of those places everyone wants to send their middle schoolers. More parents need to get involved.

Posted October 16, 2013
As an 8th Grader, I would like to say some things about the school. It isn't as bad as you think, there are fights, but with the help of our new principal, it has gotten better, there are bad moments, but you can't prevent all misconduct. The Teachers are amazing, they only are unpleasant when you deserve it, students only hate them for doing their jobs. It will get better, the new Principal, (I'm not allowed to list names) is cracking down on the gangs, bullying, and fights. Out of Uniform? RUN HOME. YOU WILL BE PUNISHED. That man is determined to make this the greatest school under the sun!

Williston Middle 3

Posted September 15, 2013
I'm a student at Williston I'm in 7th grade my first year there and it's only been like 3 weeks and I love it there the teachers are so nice but they treat us like kindergartners they make walk in a straight line and have to stop at every single corner and we are not allowed to go to elective by ourselves we have to stay in a line but other than that the school is great!

Williston Middle 2

Posted December 20, 2011
This will be my first of many reviews on this as I just moved to area and want to make sure I give the school the credit due. I moved from out of state not knowing much about the area or school district. I will admit if I had known the school boundaries in advance I would have not located to the home I located to. My first impressions of the school was not the best. Not sure about the other schools but this school has a very strong police presence which my child and I are not used to. As I walked into the office I did notice children who had just been in a fight waiting for the principle, normally this would not be included in my review of a school but I have noticed that EVERY time I have been to the school there are student waiting for the principle for fighting. The staff is very friendly and I really enjoyed talking to them. The students at this school seem to be very tough, my daughter has only been at the school for a couple of weeks and we have already had incidents with bullying. I did speak to the principal and counselor and we have decided to have a conference regarding the issue. They did seem sincere when it came to solving this issue and easing my concerns.

Williston Middle 5

Posted April 06, 2010
I have a seventh grade son at Williston and our experience has been wonderful. My son's teachers are very dedicated, knowledgeable, and caring. The strong administration, over the last three years, has really created a positive momentum and an atmosphere of tremendous possibility.

Williston Middle 2

Posted February 22, 2010
My child WAS a student at Williston until I had to remove him because of the constant bullying situation and the school failing to do anything about it. My son was constantly pushed, shoved, called names....basically harassed on a daily basis and the school did nothing about it. Only AFTER I informed them I would be removing my child from the school and writing a letter to the school board and the superintendent of schools did they say they were going to work on the problem. Not a recommendation if you want your child protected!!!

Williston Middle 5

Posted January 04, 2010
Don't let a couple of disgruntled anti-busing Lilly-white neighborhood parents fool you. This is a great school with a great principal. Mrs. B has pulled this school up from the depths of academic despair and first and foremost, has the student's best interest in mind. If you want your kids to go to a phenomenal school with outstanding teachers, faculty, staff and athletics, then you need to choose Williston. Great orchestra and visual art classes too. And as to the so called top notch/long term teachers jumping ship you need to ask them why they are really leaving. Ask them if it has anything to do with the principal making them come in on time and put in full work day or work week. If they say it has nothing to do with renewed accountability then they are misleading you. There is no more coming and going as they please.

Williston Middle
401 South 10th Street, Wilmington, NC  28401
Last modified Williston Middle is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Williston Middle Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top