9-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Wonderful school. My two children are excelling thanks to the wonderful teachers. Highly recommend, my oldest started at Anderson hs, and the difference now is amazing!

On the whole, the staff lacks competency and integrity. As a parent who chose the school for its "Christian values", I have been very disappointed. Also, leadership is weak. The principal places more emphasis on the quantity of homework (8 hours or more per night is not uncommon for honor students) than she does on the quality of the teaching and the character of her teachers. While a select minority of the teachers are highly qualified and honorable, I believe that most are less qualified than their peers who teach in the neighboring public schools. Overall, huge disappointment for a Catholic school.

It is a subpar school academically, it has about the average ACT of one of the local public schools. I know a few kids that scored very high on the high school placement but after a couple years at this school they fell behind and did not do as well as they should've on the standardized tests. Most kids that go to this school go to college locally, they don't teach them to reach high. My kid went there and it was the biggest mistake we made. There is also bullying, although my child was not I heard many stories. One year they had a problem with some of the athletes assaulting another child and it was on the news. This school is also one where many of teachers play favorites, it is the worst school that we've been to in this regard. Favoritism is very heavy for the teacher's children in everything from school to athletics. There's no working AC so it is often very hot in the beginning of school and the end. I could go on and on but I'll just say it was the worst experience we've had of the high schools our kids went to and I'm just glad we only had one go there but I feel bad for our child because they would've done so much better somewhere else.

I went to McNicholas (class of 1984). I have long lasting friendships form that experience but also see friends with kids now at McNicholas. I see all good kids that are a positive testimony to the school.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My kid was invited to work in the writing lab at college as a tutor - a direct reflection on his English teacher

3 Out of 4 children attended the school, I wish we had sent the oldest as well. The difference was immense. Teachers were supportive, and my students were MORE than prepared for college. The activities were diverse, so there was something for the non-athlete as well as the athlete. Liked the focus on Christian values and service.

McNick has a rampant bullying problem, lacks diversity, and the students do not receive the academic or emotional support they need unless they have a special relationship with a teacher. This school is no better, or even worse, than the public schools in the area and is definitely not worth the tuition cost.

Four of our five children attended McNick. This school is a wonderful example of Catholic education at it's best. Our own children were not only well prepared for the rigors of college but also offers strong fundamentals in Christian living. We attended single sex schools that we believed were second to none-until our oldest son attended McNick. The coed environment seems to have given our kids a greater sense of respect for the opposite sex. For girls, McNick provides a wonderful environment to succeed/exceed alongside boys-just like they will in adult life. Our kids each experienced great success (including one Summa Cum Laude ) in college-with McNick's excellent academic programs as a foundation. As well, this fine school helped us raise good Christian children who have become good Christian adults. Many Thanks to the faculty staff and parents that make this place work so very well.

Two of my children attended McNicholas. Strengths: strong emphasis on teaching Christian values, community service and religious service. Strong departments are languages, social studies, science, and religion. Good Advanced Placement choices. Excellent school band and band teacher. Mixed reviews for the counseling department and staff. A few were not tuned in to students problems and special needs. Not proactive about approaching parents. Watch out theater and choir lovers. These programs have been run for many years by the same small clique of teachers and staff members. Student perks in the theater and choir programs seemed very subjective to the prejudices of this staff. Certain students repeatedly received special treatment resulting from relationships with the teachers and staff or their parents relationships with staff members. Other more talented, harder-working students were repeatedly and inexplicably passed over for choice roles and performances in the plays and concerts.

I graduated from McNicholas High School in 2008. McNick provides each student with an incredibly supportive environment in which to develop themselves intellectually, spiritually, and socially. I am currently attending college on a full ride for merit achievements and am in two very competitive college programs. I entered college with sophomore status through the AP credit I earned at McNicholas. I attribute most of my success to the caring McNicholas community and am confident that I would not be given the same opportunities had I gone to a different high school. Throughout my time at McNicholas, I was surrounded by exceptional teachers who were dedicated to the success of each individual student. I was encouraged to grow spiritually by open-minded peers and well-informed teachers. I was guided to develop myself in many different ways through a variety of extracurricular activities. McNicholas High School is an excellent school that is constantly improving.

Last modified Archbishop Mcnicholas High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12