Cleveland Heights, OH

Posted February 04, 2015
My child has been at Fairfax since K, and he is receiving an excellent education, even testing as gifted in several subjects. He also is receiving wonderful instruction in art and music. He can actually read a little music, just from his music class, where he has also learned to play a recorder. What amazes me is how skilled his teachers are. They are able to meet the needs of such a variety of skill levels. My son is in a class with children whose needs are more remedial than his, but he is not bored; he receives instruction that challenges him and keeps him growing and learning. I am also grateful that the school is so diverse, racially and economically.

Posted February 04, 2015
I have two children at Fairfax Elementary - 1st and 3rd grades. Both of them are thriving academically and socially. I'm very pleased with the true quality of academic teaching we've had at Fairfax. Our teachers have always met my kids' academic needs "right where they are" and then gently pushed them to learn more. The classroom sizes are fantastic! Right around 20 (and reading groups are smaller!). I have to mention the standout music program at Fairfax -- there is a remarkably talented music teacher who exposes the students to music and instruments in a fun, accessible way. She puts on shows for every grade, every year. My children are lucky to experience this teacher. Both my children attend Before and Aftercare programs and they have always enjoyed them. Beforecare is a smaller group where they get lots of attention from staff. Aftercare is a larger group where my kids get homework done as well as hang out with their friends. Fairfax also offers an impressive array of after school clubs! From ski club to dance.... from chess club to pottery.... from drama club to tumbling. Fairfax is a great neighborhood school located in a wonderful community.

Posted February 03, 2015
My kids are thriving at Fairfax. They are in small classes of 18 21 kids. They have amazing, committed, experienced teachers. A few years ago, when my daughter was slower to pick up reading, she was moved to an ELA group with only 7 other classmates, learning 90-plus minutes per day from the most skilled ELA teacher in her school, until she quickly got on track. My daughters have had weekly Spanish classes starting in K. We have a phenomenal music program including (free!) orchestra with weekly lessons. The on-site activities available after school every day of the week are too numerous to list, but include modern dance, tumbling, chess club, basketball, karate and pottery. My kids have experienced more religious, racial, socioeconomic, cultural, and lifestyle diversity in their few short years of grade school than most people do in a lifetime. A lovely benefit of this diversity is that there is no expectation of sameness. I hear stories from friends (and remember my own) about the prevalence of cliques, competition, and bullying for girls in more homogeneous schools. My daughters have not experienced any such mean girl behavior and individuality is expected and celebrated.

Posted July 03, 2014
My daughter friend died and the principal was so supportive. The principal is the best and I think you should send your child there

Posted March 11, 2014
My children started at Fairfax this year after attending private school and I found the education to be superior and the teachers to be much better trained and dedicated than at their old school. The variety of student population has allowed my kids to enjoy their own uniqueness and they have made friends quickly. The principal and staff know each child by name and because it is transitioning to an IB school the "specials" like foreign language, art and music are amazing. Children with disabilities are integrated in the specials. I am so happy we gave pubic school a chance - we could not be happier.

Posted July 30, 2012
We entered our daughter in kindergarten this past year and loved the school. Each of the classrooms had a smartboard and the students were able to use them often. The kindergarten team was wonderful! The music program is outstanding. The new Chinese program is exciting and in my mind makes Fairfax unique. The PTA parents did a great job planning activities and coordinating the parent involvement. Thank you Fairfax for getting us off to a good start!

Fairfax Elementary School 4

Posted January 27, 2009
I have been very pleased with Fairfax school. My daughter is in 1st grade and is thriving. I wish more people would give it a chance instead of going to private schools. They would be pleasantly surprised. The faculty is very proactive and nurturing and are raising some pretty great kids!

Posted June 03, 2008
Fairfax is great! The principal seems to know every child by name, the parent community is strong, and we are pleased with the teachers and staff.

Posted October 23, 2006
This is my first year at Fairfax, with an entering kindergartner & fourth grader. The year has thus far proved to be challenging, warm, informative, inviting and inclusive for our family. It has been socially active, academically engaging and seemingly organized and well-run. I believe we are off to a good start.

Fairfax Elementary School
3150 Fairfax Rd, Cleveland Heights, OH  44118
Last modified Fairfax Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Fairfax Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top