Cleveland, OH

Posted August 11, 2015
I am a junior in high school this year, and I have been at Whitney Young since 7th grade. I am just now transferring to John Hay this year. When I initially started attending wym in 2012, I loved the school. I loved it because there were a lot of students being that it was 2-12. Meaning there were high school students, and overall a nice amount of kids. Academic wise, it wasn't the best but I liked the school. By 9th grade, I began to hate the school. Everybody was leaving, population dropped tremendously, and my teachers changed. Whitney Young has a very small selection of teachers, high school teachers especially. Half of them are not good teachers. By my sophomore year, I absolutely hated Whitney young, and dreaded going to school each day. Not only is the building old, and literally falling apart, it's not a real high school. The school offers no college prep, career prep, or any kind of prep for that matter. As a sophomore, I only had two teachers that had a nice organized class, cared about us, and actually taught us. Mrs.Reese will be your angel sent from heaven, she's the only good thing about Whitney Young, if you attend this school, make sure you try to get as close to her as possible. The principal is awful, she's very rude, to teachers and students. She has a nasty attitude and she's unfair. The school has gone downhill ever since she became the principal. She used to be the guidance counselor many, many, years ago. I'd like to say that this used to be a good school back in 09' and prior, but now it isn't and hasn't been for a while 90% of the kids in high school have been with eachother since 6th grade. Some have been together longer than that. There's no diversity at this school, and this school can offer you nothing. Literally nothing, other than a $5 education that'll get you a job at a fast food restaurant. This school is far too overrated, and the high school needs to be shut down. Middle school and elementary school is fine. But the high school portion needs to be taken out. Now, they've added a new school called Citizen's Academy South East to the annex, with means that 2-12 graders at Whitney young will all have to be together in the same building. I'm not sure how this is going to work out, but I don't care because I will be at John Hay learning. If you don't want to go to a real high school, and you don't want to learn. Come to Wmy. :)

Posted October 13, 2014
I am currently a senior at this school and I have been attending since the sixth grade. When I was in middle school, I loved this school. I felt like it gave me the challenge I needed and the education I needed. Since I have been I high school, I have hated it. In the tenth grade, I applied for the Post-Secondary Enrollment Options Program (PSEOP) just to be able to get away from this school. Last year, my eleventh grade class had a substitute "teach" us Chemistry for the whole year. This year, we do not have a Physics teacher. Therefore, we take Physics online, which is not going so well. The ONLY nice thing about this school is that the students and very close and rarely have fights. But, if you are looking for a good education, this is NOT the school for you. Go to John Hay or Cleveland School of the Arts, not Whitney M. Young.

Posted February 24, 2013
Yes, WMY is a gifted and talented school but since they've added 2nd-5th to the mix, I feel that it doesnt give the REAL high school experience. I'm in 8th grade and have been here since 6th so I've been observing the high school area for a while and I definitely would NOT consider going here. Its not a real high school. Just a bunch of grades in 2 buildings. The students are nice for the most part but there are cliques and mean girls that I really hate. But I guess that's in every school. Ms. Scharf is the funniest and best teacher you will ever have! She's the main reason why I wanna stay! WMY is def overrated. They also don't assist you in your career choice. Like I said, we're a Gifted And Talented/Honors school but if what they're teaching me won't help me in my career choice, then why am I there?

Whitney Young School 4

Posted February 06, 2010
This is a very good school. the teachers are there to help, and the students are nice i am an eigth grader and ive been at this school since 6th grade. this school is overrated alot of times. but it is a good school. for high school it is not as good because there is not much college prep or extracurricular activities.and because of the middle/high school i feel it is not a real high school experience. even though i am not in high school yet. and the school needs alot of physical work, that needs to be renovated like walls and bathrooms, tiles are falling of the ceiling and because everyone thinks this school is so great, they forget that it INDEED needs alittle more work : ) and the principal is very good at her job. and makes wise decisions for us. she is Mrs. Karen-Byron-Johnson !

Whitney Young School 4

Posted November 17, 2009
WMY is a great school! I am a current student and compared to my friends that don't attend WMY - I'm WAY smarter than them and I'm glad I'm at the school I'm at. But as far as my principal Mrs. KAREN BYRON-JOHNSON, she is NOT a good principal at all! She doesn't take the time to listen to what anyone has to say not even some of the parents. But if you're looking for a REAL highschool then wmy isn't the place for you. We rarely have any school dances or any other fun things that regular highschools do.

Posted September 24, 2008
I'm a freshman in college and I have attended Whitney Young from 6th to 12th grade. Academically, it seems as if the students not only lack motivation, but they are below par. They don't prepare you for the real world, there are no real consequences for your actions, and they don't do enough to involve students that are not interested in the very few activities they have. There's too much yelling in the classroom going on, and not enough teaching. Many of the teachers are developing an indifferent attitude, which is reflected with the grades of the students. I would never recommend anyone to go here, ever. You'd be better off at another public school or in PSEOP.

Posted August 20, 2008
This is a great school. My daughter has been there now for 3 years and she has come a long way form where she was. I appreciate the fact they acknowledge students with good grades and give them opportunities to get better. I hope that my daughter continues to grow while attending Whitney Young so before she goes to college she can already know what to expect.

Whitney Young School 3

Posted August 20, 2008
I'm currently attending whitney young for ninth grade i been at this school since my sixth grade (2005-2006)school year and to me the teachers at the school dont teach to everyone level they teach at one level not foucing on all the students needs and help problems. Another thing is they do not have act. For everyone because of the school been 6-12 they dont let the kids out of the building to go on trips or etc. The principal mrs.Karen byron-johnson dont allow the staff and kids to do alot of thing such eighth grade junior prom, high school homecoming, etc. So to me i think that the staff of the school and cmsd need to make the school either all gifted and talented middle school(6-8) or high school(9-12) so the students in middle and high school can get the same treatment as the other student in the other ms/hs.

Whitney Young School 5

Posted July 21, 2008
this is the best shcool i ever went to

Posted June 15, 2007
I loved this school when I went there. I want to go back, but I am going into my senior year. I made a lot of friends at WhitneyYoung nad I will never forget them.

17900 Harvard Ave, Cleveland, OH  44128
Last modified Whitney Young School is a Public school that serves grades 2-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Whitney Young School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top