No rating

The Columbus Academy

Private | PK-12 | 1017 students

Student diversity

Living in Gahanna

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $127,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $870.

Sweep tile

Posted February 11, 2014

I am very proud to be a graduate of this school. I attended Columbus Academy since pre-kindergarten and have love every day of it. The faculty are amazing and I still keep in touch with many of them months after graduation because if the impact they've made on me. I only know a handful of people in my entire time at the school who don't share these same sentiments.

Posted November 16, 2013

I am a student at Columbus Academy and I have been going there since kindergarden. I love it there and I have always felt like it was another home to me. Sure some people can be snobby, but it can be like that at any school no matter where you live. The education is amazing and so are the teachers.

Posted September 4, 2013

I am very glad that the former headmaster stepped down or retired. Things will become brighter after he is gone.

Posted August 21, 2013

Awesome school - great academics and athletics - if you want your child to reach their true potential, send them here. Parents are always welcome and encouraged to stay active in their children's education and the school. We have just started out 8th year at the school with 2 girls here.

Posted May 6, 2013

I love this school. My daughter has attended CA for 8 years and has flourished at CA. We are not wealthy like many of the parents but I have never witnessed any snobbery from other parents. The average ACT, SAT and National Merit recipients at CA speak volumes about how well CA teachers teach and CA students perform. The faculty is caring and supportive. The curriculum is very rigorous. As for the administration, they do lean to the liberal left agenda, which is concerning at times, but the bottom line is that the academics are top-notch.

Posted April 14, 2013

I had my 4 children at CA for 10 years and the experience was horrible. During that time Columbus Academy became an ultra-liberal left wing indoctrination camp. Academics are long forgotten as the agenda to pursue left wing ideology has taken over. Mandatory homosexual teaching is forced on the students from an early age. The current headmaster is committed to promoting a far left political slate, and educational or intellectual efforts are utterly secondary now. The change is drastic, complete and heinous. A quick check through year books of years past shows a number of students going to Harvard/MIT/Stanford/CalTech, etc. Current matriculation lists show only rare ivy league/ powerhouse school attendance, and in almost every case -- sports related. In my opinion Stanford doesn't count if your child goes there for field hockey. Parents at CA privately complain, and publicly donate heavily to the school to be just like everyone else, country clubbing at its finest. The large number of students on financial aid assure silence. The upper school recruits transfer students heavily because the "lifers" cannot generate impressive ACT/SAT scores. Do not send your kids here. Danger

Posted May 14, 2012

We have been so fortunate to have had the opportunity to send our son to CA. Our son, while always having been strong in academics, struggled socially and phsically(fine and gross motor issues). CA looks at the whole picture and works as a team to make sure their students succeed in every aspect. Because of their dedication, my son is now a well rounded "regular kid" who has gained a great deal of confidence. As for some of the reviewers talking about the parents or money, it's really not an issue. While we are well off compared to the rest of the world, we are by no means rich compared to many of the CA families. It's never been an issue. Everyone there has the same goal for their children and they tend to bond over that, not how much they have in their bank account.

Posted May 8, 2012

I don't quite understand why people are focusing on the parents at Columbus Academy. Of course, there are very well of parents, who possibly at times can be "snobby" as some put it, but this school isn't about parents. The Columbus Academy is an incredible school for your child. Notice how I said child? Your child gets one to one attention from teachers and the student to teacher ratio is very low, which helps them get that attention. The academics are challenging and the teachers really try to get the best from a student. Something I really love is the new "One to One" program. In one of the grades, the Academy is lending a school owned iPad to each student. There are apps that the teachers download for the students. Mostly, the apps are for note takings. Some of the note taking apps have an ability to record the lecture that the teacher is teaching vocally, while the student writes and takes notes. I think this is a huge highlight of the Columbus Academy. This school not only focuses on academics, although the very much do, but they focus on the arts and sports as well. This school takes a lot of hard work, but it definitely worth it in the future.

Posted July 17, 2011

I've read through the most critical comments on this website and I have to say that many of the comments are not factual. Yes, there are some snobby parents and kids, but there are plenty of nice kids in every grade. Academics at Academy are far more important than sports, but we do have a few excellent teams (i.e. field hockey, tennis, track, swimming, boy's soccer). I would argue that the best parts of Academy athletics are the JV teams--I know, it seems strange, but let me explain--since there are so few students, many of these teams really need people. I am not an athletic person and I know if I went to a public school, I wouldn't be able to play sport at all, but on the JV girl's soccer team (which had about 14 people last season), I got to play for almost all of every game. I think I spent 10 minutes on the bench all season. Academics are undeniably rigorous, but that's why my parents send me to the school. I'll start my junior year next fall and I've already taken three AP exams (Biology, Calculus AB, and US History). I earned 5s (the highest score) on all of these tests and I doubt I would have been able to if I hadn't had such excellent teachers.

Posted February 27, 2011

I have attend Academy since I was in the lower school and I have love it. The teachers at the school push you to your limits and want to see you secede. Academy is not an easy school but it will get you to where you need to go.

Posted December 30, 2010

I love CA, but it s not perfect. I feel that it s a little too self serving because it takes every effort to improve its image of diversity and learning. For example, CA updates its computers every two years or so, but we take our midterms, PSATs, and APs with extremely old tables and chairs. (These are only the exam tables and chairs. The ones in classrooms are fine.) Many of the teachers are amazing and most are good. A few of the faculty may be disagreeable at times, but they still care about their students. Many students are close to the faculty. In fact, most of the school is tight knit. There are a wide variety of courses, from regular to challenging, though not as much as some very good public schools because CA is fairly small. There also is less flexibility in taking courses than some schools as well. Many of our sports teams are excellent, especially boy s tennis which won three Division II state championships in a row. If you can spend $19,000 a year with little hesitation, this school is definitely for your child. If you are a bit hesitant, you should research CA more before you decide.

Posted September 19, 2010

My daughter attends Columbus Academy and I feel she is getting a good education. My only concern was the social atmosphere , especially during the middle school years. Typical middle school girl issues of cliques, exclusion and comments behind her back were a problem. The upper school scene is an improvement, perhaps due to increased maturity of all the students.

Posted September 16, 2010

As a recent graduate and veteran of CA for 14 years, I am frequently telling peers at my school of the wonderful relationship I had with the society at Academy. I was lucky enough to be accepted to a nationally renown university and I whole heartedly believe that I owe my success to Academy's ability to foster young minds. The academia is challenging, some courses are at the college level, and the price is obviously steep but I cannot emphasize enough the value one receives from an education like this. This school develops mind, body, and presents the opportunities that other school are unable to provide for adolescents. It is worth it.

Posted April 29, 2010

The Columbus Academy has such advanced classes it is astounding how academically superior it is. It is well rounded, and students will leave the school with a stronger mind, body, and character.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 27, 2010

incredible school, outstanding staff everything is far superior to any other school in central oh

Posted April 27, 2010

I moved here from due to job relocation.It was the best thing that could have happened for my child. Hands down greatest learning environment for children I've ever encountered.

Posted March 5, 2010

I have 2 children at CA and they both love it as do I. It really is a community where all kinds of kids can thrive. Beautiful campus with - watching the children sledding during recess was a joy! Academically it can't be beat. Very low student to teacher ratios. Lots of opportunities for students and parents to get involved. Tuition is high but we think worth it.

Posted February 3, 2010

awesome school must go to! best teachers who care about students. is diverse and graduate leaders. best school hands down in ohio.

Posted December 13, 2009

My son has been a student at CA for 4 years, loves it, and is thriving. He is a bright child and it is very important to us that he be pushed and encouraged to work to his potential. His teachers support our desires and have helped him achieve well beyond grade level. The parents are very friendly and supportive of one another and the school, it's like a large family. The students are all very bright and I have no worries about my son ever being teased because he excels academically. On a non-academic note, early on I loved the fact that school spirit is fostered from an early age...even the pre-k are invited and encouraged to attend pep-rally's, and sporting events.

Posted November 30, 2009

This is by far the best school in ohio, if you can afford the $19,000 a year. None of the negative reviews on this site have anything to do with the school's education because it is beyond what every other school in state currently has. I do not know who some of the people posting about snobby people are talking about. All of the parents of children I have met have been very friendly, and you don't have to send your kid here from Kindergarten, I just sent my 9th grade son there his first year and we both love it. The high tuition definitely has its advantages though, as the school has just bought new 21.5' iMacs for their computer labs, something that no other school can come close to competing with.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

• Mr. John M. Mackenzie