Bad
Good

Posted April 04, 2014
I have not had the best experience with my special needs child in this school. Every time i come to this school a teacher is yelling at students. Children are always in detention. Maybe the teachers need to sit in detention and be yelled at to get a taste of their own medicine. Unless it changes i do not recommend this school.

Posted May 16, 2012
it all depends on the teacher you get and also your involvement with your child. I have questioned how my son has been treated in the last two years at this school. I do not condone teachers screaming at the children which I have heard while standing out in the hallway. I also think a teacher shouldnt just give children hand outs in school. My son had 12 in one day 1st grade. I had asked another teacher who works at another tps school who teaches 1st grade and she doesnt do that. She actually teaches, imagine that. I would not recommend this school to a new student's parent. I would look at other TPS schools such as Lachmont, Old Orchard or Longfellow. My son tells me his teacher doesnt care if he gets a green. His handwriting was better in kindergarten and they dont go over the calender in the morning like they did in kindergarten. 1st grade teachers shouldnt take these simple things for granted. The school lunches are horrid per ;my son's response. Lunches come pre made and are not fresh, no real kitchen in the school like my old school years ago. Principles are as good as they're allowed to be. I think theyre hands are tied on issues.

Whittier Elementary School

Posted September 26, 2009
whittier school has the best students and teachers in the west

Whittier Elementary School 4

Posted March 09, 2007
I think that the teachers and the principals there really care about the students. Every time I had an issue they worked very quickly to resolve it.

Whittier Elementary School 4

Posted May 08, 2006
This my sons first year at Whittier. HE loved it there are only 15 kids in his class so he gets the attention he nedds if he needs help. He is only in kindergarten but he has learned how to read and he is doing wonderful in math. They teach them what they need to know without putting to much pressure on him or the other kids. I really enjoy Whittier. I help out anytime I get the chance. I am looking forward to another year there.

Posted February 16, 2005
I do not agree with the lack of positive reinforcement programs in kindergarten for this school. Several other parents from different schools tell me their child's kindergarten teachers use the red light/green light program to encourage proper behavior. In my child's class they issue demerit and detentions for kindergartners. I do not think that this is an effective method to engage a 5 year old in proper behavior . Also they used taking snack away as a form of punishment. The other punishment they discussed during orientation have not yet been implemented, which sounded more effective. I will be looking for a new school to send my child to next year.

Whittier Elementary School 1

Posted October 27, 2003
I pulled my daugher out of Whittier because her first grade teacher did not give her spelling words or math work until I wrote a letter of complaint to the superintendent of the schools and sent a carbon copy to the principal. The only work that I seen come home was reading and art. After writing a letter of complain to the superintendent of Toledo Schools, I never received a phone call or a letter to confirm that He received my letter. I guess that is why Whittier is in Acedemic Emergency.

Posted August 26, 2003
I pulled my son out of this school and now send him to a Catholic school nearby. There is a huge difference in the quality of education when comparing the two.

Whittier Elementary School 5

Posted August 10, 2003
My son has been going to this school since kindergarden and I went there myself as a child. I like this school and I will continue to send my kids there, even my youngest when he gets bigger.

Whittier Elementary School
4221 Walker Ave, Toledo, OH  43612
Last modified Whittier Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.