Navajo High School

Public | 10-12

Posted June 1, 2012

As a former student of this school who attended it for my entire school life (K-12), I am very happy I went here. Some of the reviews on here are kind of flawed as in not offering extracurricular activity. That is not entirely the schools fault. I know that when the school wanted some of that stuff they just could not get funding or volunteers to help out. And when it comes to the social aspect for the children, it's all what they make of it. I'm not gonna argue about the political part of the school because that is true and if you do have a certain last name you will get special treatment. But the acedemics, they are top notch. If the student feels that they are struggeling they can talk to a teacher, or if the work is to easy they can get extra assignments no questions asked. The ability to walk in and talk to the principal or even the superintendent for parents or students is remarkable. Normally you would have to make an appointment for this. My experiance at this school will always be treasured.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 27, 2010

My Daughter went to Altus High in the Late 80's. My son in law went to Navajo. Yes Altus Has better things as band football ect.. But I am just a nobody not any person with a name nor do my grandkids have a well know name.They have a better education at Navajo. Look at it this way, small class rooms. That means one on one with students. To me sports,Band etc. does not make a school it is reading writing ect. As far as book reports I can say my grandkids had them for I spent time many nights helping them ,seeing them do the reports.I also have two that makes supertendent honor roll most of the time. SO MY HAT GOES OFF TO NAVAJO SCHOOL. A very proud grandma. P.S. Also can contact teachers at home with any questions you may have about your child.

Posted November 24, 2007

Navajo school is a very good, especially for its size. Althought they aren't able to offer what larger schools offer (football, band, etc.), they do provide quality academics, as well as extracurriular activities such as basketball, softball, baseball, cheer, music and art clubs, and other opportunities. The teachers are nice, easy to talk to, and seem geniunely interested in the students. Our children love their school.

Posted June 12, 2007

Navajo has sports programs and a music programs; one of the faculty was just recently selected Teacher of the Year and she is a Navajo alumnus. This school is a great school with a very high standard for education, if you want your child to get a high quality education, send them to Navajo!!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 28, 2007

My children have been going to this school for the past 3 years. They both have excelled in their studies. Both of them are involved in sports. There is a music program and the teacher has offered new this year a music club. My children our both active in it and other clubs. Before we came to this we home schooled for 2 years. They went to a different public school before this. Both children are proud of their school and the parent involvement in both classes is good. I have a Junior and a 8th grader.

Posted February 1, 2007

We moved our kids to Navajo because of their past reputation in academics. That was 1995, this is 2007 and wish I had never done so. I don't know how they gained that reputation, but I have several older children and they have never even written a book report. There is no music, art or sports programs to speak of. This is a very political school.

Posted October 31, 2005

Navajo School district, grades K-12, is the best school system my children have ever attended! My husband is in the military and we have traveled throughout the United States. Navajo has the best teachers, administration, and curriculum hands down. The students, parents, and entire staff are welcoming and friendly. You and your children are made to feel like 'part of the family.' There isn't a school band or football team, but there is everything else you can imagine. There is a lot to be said for a small school; and in my opinion, you just can't get any better than Navajo.

Posted July 29, 2005

I am only 14 years old,but i really like this school.The only thing wrong is their teachers.Their are more teachers that just sit and play on the computer than teachers who actually get up there and teach.And the only kids who dont like Navajo are the kids that dont have many friends.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 9, 2005

I believe that this school academics have gone way down from the time my children has been there. They now wish they did not go there. They are a minority and are treated really badly because they feel they do not belong in this school. Teachers are allowing students to pass and they believe a 'D' is still worth something. How can a school who's reputation use to be the best in the southwest but now gone down the drain with their academics. They don't really offer any extracurricular activities and the parent who are involve are the ones who pay money and not participate in school activities. I will be glad when my children have graduated and don't have to look back at their experience there in this school.

Posted February 27, 2005

Very very political. Does not meet needs of the students without the 'right' last name. Principal is only willing to discipline certain children. The administration is full of double standards and inequality in the way both rewards and discipline is metted out.

Grade level

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 84% in 2012.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 77% in 2012.

27 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 79% in 2012.

English II

The state average for English II was 88% in 2012.

36 students were tested at this school in 2012.

English III

The state average for English III was 92% in 2012.

23 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 87% in 2012.

24 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2009.

35 students were tested at this school in 2009.

2009

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2009.

36 students were tested at this school in 2009.

2009

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 77% in 2012.

22 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2011-2012 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests End-of-Instruction (OCCT EOI) exams to test students in high school in several subjects. The OCCT EOI is a high school graduation requirement. The OCCT EOI exams are standards-based tests, which means they measure specific skills defined for each subject by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Source: Oklahoma State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 29%N/A61%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

15695 South Cr. 210