Lawton Christian School

Private | PK-12 | 426 students

Living in Lawton

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $110,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $680.

Sweep tile

Posted January 19, 2014

This school is not welcoming to people of all faiths and denominations. If you go in and you mention you are of another particular faith they make it very difficult to the point of discouraging you to attend. First of all, they should not even ask you what religion you are because that is discrimination from the start even before registering.

Posted October 24, 2013

The school has good intentions but they're top priority is honestly money. If you enroll your child you'll start seeing they ask for more and more cash for the most random things and charge you pointless fees if you chew gum or have your shirt untucked. Honestly this school is a joke you can teach your child Christian values yourself. You'll see. God bless.

Posted October 22, 2013

My child has been a part of Lawton Christian school for 15 years (K3 - 12th grade). He has had his faith nurtured through daily Bible classes and weekly chapels, has made lifetime friendships, and has received an accelerated academic education compared to the local public schools. Lawton Christian School has consistently produced ACT scores higher than the public school averages in all areas and the students have no difficulty getting into the college of their choosing. The faculty goes out of their way to offer helps classes when needed and make accommodations for students who need additional assistance. Allowing students to attend concurrent enrollment during the junior and senior year has been invaluable in helping guide my child toward his intended college major. I strongly recommend Lawton Christian School for families who desire a partnership in enhancing their child's Christian character development and a quality education.

Posted September 14, 2013

I went to LCS as a student from 89-94. Based on my experience, if you "just stop to check it out," then you are going there. I was wanting to shop around for schools some before deciding where to go, but the then-owner teamed up with my Mom and wouldn't let me leave until I signed up for either LCS or LCS homeschool. (He was really mean about it too. ) You might want to talk to people who go there before checking the school out - just a warning. On the positive, several things that concerned me back then have been resolved over the years. They made school spankings optional. The building where they meet now looks really nice. They have band, they have prom (I think), they have football. Points of concern - looks like they have uniforms. (No jeans, tee shirts, tennis shoes. ) They still go by the "Crusaders," which is concerning due to all the problems in the Middle East. In summary, it appears as if there have been many positive changes, but definitely talk to people first before checking it out.

Posted February 2, 2013

Bringing my child here was the best decision we could have made. We are just coming to this school for the 2012-2013 school year and starting in the Secondary (middle and high school) building. I suspect I would have taken this school for granted if we had not lived thru such negative experiences in the past at another school. My child has been able to learn the basics in addition to character development and scriptures. The teachers are excellent role models that really do care about their students. Yes, there have been some interpersonal complications because young teens do not always act appropriately no matter where they are. What I loved was that we were able to communicate our concerns and reach an agreement on how to handle it where we as the parent were unified with the administration of the school. My child is not only learning academics, but he's learning how to be a better person. Parental involvement is openly encouraged and welcomed.

Posted January 23, 2013

APPEARANCES SOMETIMES CAN BE DECEIVING... As parents we were looking for a Christian based school that will provide our child with an environment of respect, love and care together with education and tools to succeed as a future young adult. The sale strategy is very good but the taste after the purchase is horrible. Our child walked out of Lawton Christian with the opposite concepts to our expectations. It's sad to make the effort and pay for private education to have the same issues than at a public school or even worse. Choosing a school is a serious matter and we don't believe LCS will satisfy your needs neither your child's.

Posted November 28, 2012

We are new to Lawotn Oklahoma and is very well pleased with Lawton Christian School our son was attending a public school here in Lawton and it was a nightmare. I thank God for Lawton Christian,we have never in the least bet felt uncomfortable or have my husband & I felt as though we have. The entire staff welcomed us with open arms when we first visited the school and still does . When ever we mention that our son attends Lawton Christian we ALWAYS receive a positive response from people who have been in Lawton for years. We are please to have our son attend Lawton Christian.

Posted September 25, 2012

I have to say that the gossip mongering that goes on in this school is unrivaled. I considered sending my child to this school before St. Marys offered the High school option. Never have I witnessed a more unwelcoming group of people in my life. Also, as a bystander at a local gymnastics venue, I have heard teachers talk badly about students and fellow parents talk badly about the school itself. Lawton Christian may have accredidation NOW, but they weren't always accredited. As a Catholic, I felt very unwelcomed at Lawton Christian, however St. Marys is accepting of all faiths. If you want to teach your child snobbery, then this is the school for you. Their views are biased and the most unchristian views that I have seen.

Posted September 7, 2012

I can't say I'm very happy with LCS preschool.My child wasn't given much of a chance before he was dismissed.I was never told just how bad his behavior was or given an opportunity for correction.Four days after dismissal,after much stress and tears from my child who wanted to go to school,I finally discovered he thought school was about playing, having fun After talking with him a bit he got the message.He is now attending a different preschool that uses the same cirriculum and willing to work with me and him.They have had zero bad reports as to his behavior and are at a loss as to why he was given such a small amount of time to adjust and why I wasn't given the opportunity to find and correct the problem.This was a surprise to many of the teachers I spoke with who work in public and private schools including Christian schools. LCS is probably a fine school but as far as our experience they are not very knowledgeable on how to deal with children that don't fit the model and not really willing to work with their parents eventhough led to believe otherwise. In a nutshell my child was not cost efficient in terms of time and money when they could fill the slot with a child that 'fit'.

Posted July 2, 2012

Lawton Christian is a great school. They have taught my children great Christian values and they have an Academic program that is preparing my 3 children for college. The teachers are dedicated and the classroom sizes are small[ 15-20 students( for the 10 years that my children have attended the school).]

Posted July 1, 2012

LCS is a diamond in the rough. The academic rigor here is unparalleled. I am so fortunate that my children attend LCS. The charater that it teaches and expects from every student, teacher and administrator. The staff models integrity evey day as it imparts knowledge to its students. It is a pleasure to walk through the halls of this school and see the learning and love that takes place in each and every classroom. Great job LCS!

Posted May 17, 2012

First of all, Lawton Christian IS fully accredited through ACTS, and recognized as such through the State of Oklahoma. Although St. Mary's is also fully accredited, it isn't the only accredited private school in Lawton. LCS is a non-denominational Christian school with grades K3-12 and is continually striving for excellence in education. We have been attending LCS since 2000 and our oldest graduated in 2010 with a scholarship to a university. We have two other children who are now high school. All three of our children have excelled academically as well as socially. We value a Christian education and have never regretted our decision to attend LCS.

Posted April 10, 2012

My child attends this school and has done for quite some time. I do not usually look at the reviews for this school as in the past it always had a good reputation locally. I do notice that the last 3 reviews on here are very similar in content and wording also the dates appear to be in very close in sequence ???? The ONLY FULLY ACCREDITED private education in Lawton can be found at St Mary's Catholic School. Just ensure if you are thinking about this school for your child to do the research first. I wish I had enrolled my child at St Mary's (They except all faiths). They have excellent teachers that ARE qualified with teaching degrees and they have wonderful facilities. My friend's child attends St Mary's and has excelled! There does tend to be quite a lot of gossip that, goes on in this school with too many parents involved among the teaching staff. Read the reviews carefully on here as I noticed the similarities in the last 3 reviews. It is a christian school however; as a parent I would have to agree with the other previous reviews by parents there does seem to be a considerable lack of the Christian way! Compare this school with St Mary's ,you will see it is way better.

Posted April 4, 2012

We have been attending Lawton Christian Schools since 1991. Our daughter graduated in 2004 with several scholarship opportunities. Including a full scholarship to one unniversity. Previous comments have mentioned specific incidents and I wish to express my support of the core values of what LCS stands for. My family has made many sacrifices throughout the years to provide a Christian education for all three of our children. And while no school is perfect, my children have have all three received excellent educations from LCS. My last child is on her way to graduating soon. Private Christian School is not for every child, or every family, it takes commitment and loyality. LCS is an accredited school. Teachers are meeting the requirements that are necessary to keep this current. Go Crusaders!

Posted April 4, 2012

I have two children, one who graduated from LCS with a full college scholarship, and the other who has attended since preschool and is now in high school. LCS provides an education that includes a challenging academic program in addition to building Christian character. It is an accredited school and the teachers have degrees and are certified to teach, contrary to what some people might think. The teachers at Lawton Christian do an outstanding job of educating students, praying for and supporting students and their families, and going above and beyond in their efforts each day. Additionally, as a parent, I am glad to know that there is an acceptance process which students must go through before enrolling in the school. While no school is perfect, I would have to say that the positives you will find at LCS will WITHOUT A DOUBT outweigh any negatives there might be. I highly recommend Lawton Christian School.

Posted April 3, 2012

My daughter transitioned from a public school to Lawton Christian School in 6th grade. She is now a Sophomore at LCS. She and one of her fellow classmates sat for their first ACT exam in December. My daughter made a 25! Her friend made a 24! Outstanding challenging academics exist at LCS. Many students have graduated with a 30 to 32 on their ACT exam. LCS was accredited in 2009 with the Association of Christian Teachers and Schools. The accreditation approval requires that all LCS teachers have a college degree, or be on a 5 year plan to attain it. ALL 1st through 12th grade LCS teachers have a degree and only 1 is on a five year plan. The LCS accreditation is recognized by the State of Oklahoma. I am very grateful that this private school is a Christian private school, but it is not a church, it is a school. As other private schools, they do have an acceptance process for students. It is very thorough. As a parent of an LCS student, I appreciate this process. There are no perfect schools. I take recommendations seriously and I make sure I have the facts. I would highly recommend Lawton Christian School for your child!

Posted March 20, 2012

Academics gone down hill! Same as last review ..if you like your child to recite religious verses over academic achievement then this will be the right fit for you! This school once had a good reputation but,has declined over the last couple of years. If you are parents used to paying for private education on the East coast (Virginia) then you will find you are paying for teachers that ,do not have any formal educational qualifications. NONE! Think further before enrolling in this school and check out St Mary's (Private) or the better public schools! You will be wasting your money on this school !

Posted February 9, 2012

LCS has a good christian environment. Our Children attended for two years and if your educational priorities include having your child proficient at reciting scripture or learning to pray, LCS will be a good fit. We began having concerns about the academics when we learned that Christain schools are not required to have certified teachers or even have degrees. The final straw was when we learned a certain child was admitted to LCS who was not allowed to return to public schools because of his behavior issues and when this behavior continued in my childs classroom, LCS's solution was to move him to a different class. When we first transfered them to Lawton Public Schools they struggled at first academically. However, they are now thriving and we are very pleased with Almor West's teachers and staff.

Posted November 9, 2011

I called this morning because my child had an issue and trying to move on with his life. He has lost his way and is trying to come back. I call this school and explained my situation which is very servious and I pretty much was told we were not welcome. That is not very Christian, I thought a Christian is about helping, healing, and about hard work. My son gets great grades that is the worst part about this. I do not recommend this school due to the fact that this situation is not Christian like. The lady that answered the phone could not explain why he couldn't go there and then ended up hanging up on me.

Posted April 2, 2009

I have had children in school at LCS for the last 10 years. It is a wonderful school with caring, knowledgable, and excellent teachers. The curriculum is definitely challenging and the school's test scores are routinely higher than any public school around. LCS has graduates that have gone on to Columbia University, West Point, Air Force Academy and many other fine Universities. They are definitely preparing their students to excell in college and in life! Thanks LCS!

Asian 5% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:15 a.m.
School end time
  • 3:15 p.m.
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Dr. Michael Leaming
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious