Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

I have been very satisfied with this school for many years now (this will be my child third year there) and would rate it five stars but, not this year. The previous principle Mr. Randy Brewer ran an excellent school, and allowed the parents to be very involved with the school. However he retired and now there is a new principle (Melinda Elms). By the end of the second week of school she has personally insulted me by assuming I must be a single mother with custody issues, because I enjoy walking my child to class as I have always done. What she asked me about thou none of it being the case is absolutely rude, and if any of it was true it would absolutely be none of her business. The school preaches about how important parent involvement is and building strong relationships with the parents. But they are literally pushing us out the door. I'm not allowed to go into the school at all which upsets me not only has it now broken my tradition with my child, ( As I went to this school also , and we live about five houses up from the school and my mother did the same with me) it seems so wrong that if my minor child is in the care of these people during the day not only should I be allowed in these premises but I should be welcomed . This really doesn't make me want to be involved with the school at all. As they want us to be" involved" but obviously their actions send an entirely different message. I would like to know their reasoning for how a mother walking their child to school and their classroom affects the child or any other child's education.

I can see the result of a dedicated staff at home. Teachers work with the parents well, you can tell they really care about the students.

Unsatisfactory they moved my child back a grade without telling me because his teacher didn't want to handle him. They gave up on him after 1 week of school!! I do not recommend this school for anyone

Not all teachers are bad, but considering that two out four have just been unsatisfactory speaks bad about the leadership in that school. The principal will not listen to parents who have a problem with teachers instead telling them to speak to the teachers. Then the teachers will switch kids out of a classroom without informing the parents and expect them not have a problem with it. Considering what happened in Sandy Hook, that kind of action is untolerable and I would not recomend Hawthorne if you can help it. They want parents to be involved but then treat you like a horrible person for actually being involved.

This school serves a lot of poor children. The school gets very little money in a state that gives NO school much money. Good education for poorer children is what will bring the changes the world needs.

They have a great principal and staff and are making sure my daughter is getting the best education she can.

It is a wonderful diverse school that is in real need of help. Great teachers and hard working parents who may not have a lot of money but they have the dedication and love of their children in every action they take. Please help them. So much needs to be done at the school. It is often overlooked but it is in a innner city neighborhood with low income children who deserve a chance to be all that they can be. Best, Murphy

I am amazed at the education my daughter has received at Hawthorne and praise all of the teachers as well as Mr. Brewer for everything they do. I love the intimate atmosphere that we've experienced at this school and look forward to what they have left to offer for other child.

I just loved the teachers and they were so interested with what the kids did.

Last modified Hawthorne Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.