Bad
Good

John Glenn elementary completely failed my son this school year. Beginning the school year with substitute after substitute and finally putting him into a classroom 2 grade levels above his own. His school supplies are still in his backpack and its April. He has fallen so far behind this school year I don't know how we will ever make it up. It is not surprising to me at all with a principal who's philosophy is " discipline is our number one goal and concern, we can catch the child up academically once discipline is handled " . I am mortified with what an epic fail this school year has been.

I feel this school needs to be better organized. The principal when you talk to him he acts as if he doesn't care. He didn't want to own up to mistakes or even apologize or even make a family that's new to the school feel welcomed. Some of the teachers act as if they are stressed and need help in their classrooms. It's hard for a teacher to test children and watch a classroom at the sa me time. It doesn't help a child concentrate when others are having fun in center times how unfair. When it rains the procudure is so in organized and a headache. Then when you call administration you will be trans to voicemail and then I emailed they never called and then a month later I run into more issues so I call left a message and a email. Finally at 4 pm I get a call and she doesn't know how to respond for any of the issues. I have never been through so much at a school. I have to worry every day when my kids are there about any new issues.

Great parent teacher group! Everyone works together to create a great learning environment. Teachers try to build good relationships with students

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers at John Glenn love their students and are constantly trying to find ways to better teach the students

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

The teachers here work hard to make sure our students learn well. They engage with the students and work pretty well with each other. The school now has a PTA and they are trying to connect the students and the staff together. I suggest you meet these teachers and staff and become acquainted with them before you judge them. Many of the issues we have at this school comes from miscommunication between the parents and teachers. These issues can be easily fixed with more interaction. This is a great school! They have a great Staff, great teachers, Great parents, and even greater students. GO ASTROJETS!!!!

Great Teachers, Great Parents, Great staff! WE have pride for our school and we have an amazing PTA!

My child attended this school 2013. And 3/4 of 2014 before I pulled her out. I was told she could not read. I took her to sylvan and she tested 2 grade levels above her grade. She tested the same at her new private school, I struggle to afford. I repost my comments because they are removed. Why? How? My daughter was also "lost" when she was 6. Told to walk home, after being kicked off the bus. I found her crossing 4 lanes of highway with a stranger following her. I should have made a police report. Since everyone says its a lie now. Parents are shut out. School does what it wants.

Teachers/principals don't pay enough attention to students when in classroom, recess, lunch, etc. Kids getting into serious trouble all the time 'cause teacher(s)/principal DON'T KNOW suspensions are happening too frequently to otherwise good students if they weren't PROVOKED ALL THE TIME! Their size, neighborhood, bullying, clothes, parents, teachers telling stuff they don't know about at all, etc. When a kid under 3rd grade acts up----call parent, send home=stay home rest of day or 1-3 days=who wouldn't want that?! No messing with school people at all then! Wrong decisions, I think, on the school! When in K had substitutes like crazy 'cause his was so sick with cancer! RUINED HIM & OTHERS, in OUR OPINIONS!!! Trying to get back on track but hard with his 'reputation', NOW! Again teachers/substitute teachers/principal(s)!!! All SHAPE OUR KIDS! Last year's teacher did remarkable with him/classmates, though! Thank goodness for her! Being in service helped a lot, also!

They lost my son on the first day of school. I was frantically calling from work because he did not arrive home on the bus, the school office would not anser the phone, and I was stuck across town unable to get there in person. How does a school NOT know WHO was on the busses that morning? They also never told me what class he was in, shuffled him around all day not knowing where he was supposed to me. The principle gave me a different story than the teacher about where he was while "lost" when school let out. HE IS 5!!! They lost his school supplies and backpack that day too. No one knows what he did that day or what rooms he was in!

This was my daughter's first year at John Glenn Elementary. She had Carol Spears as her teacher and I could not have asked for a better start for her. She did not take Pre-K and yet between home teaching and what she learned from Ms. Spear she was right there with the other students. I am very pleased.

Last modified John Glenn Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.