Larkin Bailey Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted April 22, 2014

Reading the past comments, I think a lot has changed over the last three years when a new principal came to Bailey. Teachers are wonderful. The Booster club is still cliquish.

Posted February 18, 2013

We moved to Owasso from central Florida in Sept 2012, just a couple of weeks into my daughter's 1st grade year. The experience so far at Bailey has been phenomenal! The school that my daughter attended in Florida was lacking in many ways, and she had reached the point of crying every school morning and when I picked her up. Now, she LOVES school! Her teacher is amazing, the curriculum challenges her without being too difficult. I have seen efforts made to accommodate the different levels that the children are at. Those that need a little extra help are getting it, and those that are ready to move on are not stuck waiting for others. My daughter has needed help in some areas and been ahead in others, so we've seen it from both sides. I love that the children are taught and expected to be self sufficient and responsible. The Great Expectations program that is used is exactly what I want for my kids. They are providing quality education, and reinforcing good values and strength of character from a non-religious viewpoint. Every staff member that I have met has been pleasant and more than helpful. The parent and community involvement is more than I have ever seen at any school!

Posted January 24, 2013

The reason that Bailey has high state and national level scores, is the atmosphere of forced/coerced retention of students. Children who have minor school difficulties are encouraged to repeat grades for "easy" years. My student has met benchmarks continually each grade, despite this, when reaching third grade, he was asked to return to second grade for concern he may not pass state testing. We were appalled. Little assistance is available for special needs children, and teachers are not very cooperative with IEP suggestions. Great school if your child is self-driven and needs little assistance.

Posted September 19, 2012

My children have attended Bailey since 2008 when they started school and we LOVE it there. The teachers are all wonderful, and with our new principal in place, there is such an attitude of expecting excellence while maintaining the fun atmosphere of a place with young children. The specials teachers are great, and the library is fantastic. I cannot say enough good things about Bailey. We are soon to be moving away and I am so sad to be leaving this wonderful school.

Posted October 22, 2010

I came to Owasso from California 5 years ago. I have had a son attend at Bailey 4th 5th grade He was one of 37 students in his class in California. At Bailey he was number 18. My daughter started kindergarten at Bailey and is now in 4th grade. I appreciatte this school. I love how clean it is, and the standard of behavior they expect from the kids and parents. I have only had one teacher over the years that could have been better, but currently my daughter is in love with her teacher. Do they expect the parent to be aware of the current academics of their child? Yes and they do push the kids to be responsible. This may seem a bit harsh in the younger grades but my children have been taught. As far as fun goes, there is music,PE, computers,library time,and Class parties! Thats good!!!!!

Posted April 10, 2010

I am a father of a first grader. We are not happy with the general 'feel' of Bailey Elem. The PTO/PTA is Cliquish, and seems to exclude people who sign up to help. It's too strict, too rigid. Not joyful. They are required to do TOO much at these young aes.

Posted April 8, 2010

It's been a very depressing year at Bailey Elem. We were really looking forward to our son starting K-garten there. Now, however, we are considering either selling our home, or putting our child in private school. Our childs teacher is fine, but the communication is lacking, and the Principal is off-putting. She is NOT approachable on any level. God forbid you have a complaint! Also, the lunch food is COLD, and the kids are told to walk with their hands behind their backs, in complete silence. AMAZING :(

Posted March 29, 2010

Bailey is a GREAT school for academics! However, I feel that they sometimes forget that they're teaching kids...they don't allow them to be kids! There needs to be a LITTLE more 'fun' involved in school!

Posted March 11, 2007

We have 3 children attending Bailey. The academic, responsibility, leadership and values that have been taught to our boys have greatly changed their education experience for the better. They come home excited almost everyday about something new they are learning at school. The teachers & staff are supportive, communicate well and go the extra mile. Our sincere and heartfelt thanks to Mrs. Kubiak, Mrs. Walters & Mrs. Sellers to the devotion and great ideas to keep our boys striving to learn more. Job well done!

Posted February 26, 2007

We recently moved here from Texas and I am very disappointed in the difference of education. My son who is in Kindergarten has already been reading since the end of pre K and when we moved over here it seems as though the kids are just barely starting to read.( I am not trying to toot my horn or anything) He went from going all day long to 2 and a half hours of school. I honestly don't know what my child could possibly learn in that little bit of time. As far as notes being sent home, yes I do agree with the rest of the parents. I don't feel like there is enough parent teacher interaction. A quick hello and goodbye when you drop or pick your child up is not enough. I would like to know how my child is doing in school. (Behavior wise and academically)

Posted April 23, 2006

My child started Kindergarten at Bailey. We, my husband & I, love his teacher. We love the whole school. The principal and teachers are strict, 'no running, no talking in hallways' etc. but I find that comforting to know that they are in control of the children, not the other way around. Parents are very involved in Bailey. We're not just talking about stay at home parents but working parents too. From putting desks together to helping out with numerous other projects. You can volunteer for just about anything needed at the school. I can't say enough great things about this school! A+ school.

Posted February 2, 2005

I have two children at Bailey and have worked as a Substitute teacher there many times. I am very impressed by the nurturing yet disciplined environment that they provide on a daily basis. Realizing that a teacher cannot contact parents with the hundreds of announcements that come out on a monthly basis I am okay with an occassional missed deadline. The teachers and staff at this school are exemplary! I am thrilled that my kids are there.

Posted May 31, 2004

I also have to agree with the previous review regarding the 'notes' in the backback. I too missed or barely missed important deadlines. I was sorely disappointed with the fact that after only two weeks of my eight year old being in second grade, her teacher was willing to hold her back without looking into the issues that my child was facing, and investigating ways of encouraging her to learn. I even suggested that my spouse and I would pay for her to attend sylvan learning center, and she thought that would not work without even given it a chance to work.

Posted August 26, 2003

The teachers only communicate to the parents by putting notes in the kids' backpacks at school. I find this distressing because I never get the information I need in time. I missed putting my daughter into cheerleading and almost missed my first P.T.A. meetings because of this! I feel someone should call, e-mail, or snail mail me! This just seems highly inappropriate. One should never give the burden of adult communication to children. I would appreciate better communication in the future about these things.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2012-2013 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests (OCCT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science and writing. The OCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 77% in 2012.

76 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 66% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 21%N/A61%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

10221 East 96th St North