Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)

Posted May 31, 2016
I taught at this school and it was a very negative experience. There is a huge teacher turnover rate because it is not a nice place to work. On the first day of school I did not have a schedule or any indication what I would be teaching. They told me to wait by my door and if students showed up I had a class that hour. I had to look at my students schedule to see what subject I was teaching. There was a lot of shuffling around of positions in the middle of the year. You might teach one thing at the beginning of the year and something different at the end. I was told by one teacher not to plan lessons ahead of time because my schedule might change. This is a really difficult environment to work in.

Memorial Junior High School
Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted May 31, 2016
Huge class sizes and overall anarchy. This school would benefit from positive behavior intervention strategies. Their current methods only exasperate the problem.

Memorial Junior High School 5

Posted January 01, 2014
Staff and administrators work with parents to get results for my kids We have been with the school through its changes and we see that the safety is much better now . We will continue on to memorial high school with the engineering program because of the start with the program served by mr. Clemmer

Posted January 27, 2012
This school has gone to the dumps!! At one time Memorial Jr. High, what use to be Byrd Middle School, was among the top schools in Tulsa. Since Mrs. Bunnell has taken over as principal and brought along her array of staff from Lewis and Clark, this school has changed tremendously. The staff seems to spend more time "hanging out" and sociallizing with other staff than teaching the children. Some of the teachers have been so inappropriate as to how they deal with my student I have questioned her being in that school at all. It has changed for the worst! Don't get me wrong there are some good teachers left they are just so few and far between there is NO purpose in enrolling your child. I live in the neighborhood and will continue sending my kids to the local elementary and high school, but as for Memorial Jr. High I will be finding another school for those years. As for the previous comments on this board, correct is all I can say. There are fights between students daily and no teachers or staff in the vicintity...

Posted March 10, 2011
The principle @ this school is very rude to the kids. She dont show any intrest in my student.as i was talkn to her she hung up in my face and i felt that was very rude.Our children are the future.. She is not the judge of my child.. i donot like Bryd middle school. The principle has shown to me to be prejudice.

Memorial Junior High School 2

Posted July 25, 2010
There are some really good teachers at Byrd however I agree with a few of the earlier posts that said there were bullies. There was alot of "gang" related fighting this last year and it seems now days that most teachers are afraid to stand up to students that act that way. . Mr.Elledge is one of the few that isn't and he is the glue that keeps that school from falling apart completely. He is still making an amazing impact. Middle school years are so important that I have chose to sacrifice and put my daughter into private where she will not be impacted negatively.

Posted June 29, 2010
This school doesn't teach the proper education the kids need! My child has fell behind so much in just one semester! They are bullies at this school! I thought well this is a good school it looks nice and clean inside and i said okay its a good school, but it isn't i couldn't believe how much my 8th grader fell behind! Well i wouldn't send my child back!

Posted March 10, 2009
Bullies attended this school.Lack of supervision and attention provided.

Posted September 20, 2008
My child was in the special education system at Byrd MS & I am VERY disappointed with the lack of education he received there. His reading went down from a 3rd grade reading level to a 1st grade level. I had to enroll him into & pay for a Tutoring program that the school was supposed to offer, he is teachable, his reading level is coming back up. It is diffulcult to find a GOOD Special Education Program in TPS. He is now in the 9th grade & so far they have been bending backward to help him adjust and get him into the classes/courses that are going to help him be a sucess. I cannot speak on how good the school is for regular ed/typical kids but it isn't a good placement for special ed students. I was involved & we had a good IEP, it just wasn't followed.

Memorial Junior High School 4

Posted June 27, 2006
My daughter has completed two years at Byrd and will begin her 3rd and final year this fall. We have been very pleased overall with Byrd. She has had some excellent teachers. Most of the teachers seem to care about their students and enjoy keeping in contact with the parents. I appreciate their willingness to answer e-mails and phone calls. Mr. Elledge is a prime example of this. He will do what it takes to help your chld learn. My daughter excelled under him. Hopefully this year will go as well as the last.

Memorial Junior High School
7502 East 57th Street, Tulsa, OK  74145
Last modified Memorial Junior High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.