No rating

Monte Cassino School

Private | PK-8 | 924 students

Living in Tulsa

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $156,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted February 26, 2013

Monte Cassino has been an excellent choice for our family. The teachers really bring out the best in the students, encourage morality, good decision making. The students recognize and appreciate each other's talents whether academic, athletic, musical etc. I find it to be a school where it is accepted to be smart, or talented, rather than stigmatized. The core Benedictine values can be appreciated regardless of your faith. Monte's Middle School teachers are top-notch and passionate about the kids and teaching. The have among the highest test scores in the state. The students come from all walks of life and backgrounds. The school has a lot of fun family events and fundraisers. We transferred to Monte late in Elementary School and I have found most families and staff to be very welcoming and helped ease the kids into their new environment, especially the school's Newcomer's Network. Overall a great learning institution and a great school!

Posted September 10, 2011

I'm not a parent, but an observant family member of some Monte Cassino students. The teachers are fantastic, the curriculum is excellent and the kids seem happy, which is great, but the overall atmosphere leaves something to be desired, in my opinion. There seems to be an awful lot of elitism, social climbing, gossip and snobbery going on, with a good chunk of the parents trying to one-up or show off for each other in one way or another. The unwritten code here seems to be that one must drive the biggest most expensive SUV, the location of your home should be in the toniest of neighborhoods -- can anyone say Woody Crest? -- and everyone must know all the sordid details of the other students'/parents' lives (which family is getting a divorce, which kid's uninterested parents dumps him on the nanny 24/7, etc.) .

Posted January 9, 2011

Beware if you have older students entering late into this school. Academically, it is great, but there are quite a few "mean girls" there. Unfortunately, the staff does not do much to put a stop to it, in fact, it seems that rumor spreading was almost encouraged. It has really shaken my faith in the Catholic Church. As stated in a previous review, this school is not what a christian school should be.

Posted June 18, 2010

We have been at Monte for 6 years and I wouldn t want to be anywhere else. This school does it s best to maintain the highest standards, in every area from Technology to Personnel. My greatest issue is with the some of the parents. The same families who demand academic accountability in the ECLC are also the families who bring their kids to school late everyday. Personal accountability, anyone? The school can t enforce rules when parents don t, how can a second grader be held responsible for dress code issues when their parents bought their pink shoes? Most of the parents here are wonderful but it seems like the families who are most vocal about problems are only making them worse. Parents are the first teachers and if you don t start kids off on the right foot, it s very difficult for the school to change those problem behaviors. Overall, Monte Rocks!

Posted February 17, 2010

As a parent with experience with schools in multiple states, I can tell you this is a great place to get your child through those awful, very trying middle school years. The homework is balanced, unlike a lot of other private schools that overload. I have found the teachers and counselor to be VERY responsive regarding any drama between the students (girls). My child says it is cool to be smart. My only problem with the curriculum is with the lack of creative writing in both the the ES and MS. But the Science lab in the MS is great, and the social studies teachers are fantastic.

Posted March 23, 2009

My children are thriving at Monte Casssino! The curriculum is challenging, and the teachers are exceptional. The environment is loving, and the fact that God is a part of their everyday life, even at school, gives them a sense of peace and security. Pre-AP and CADRE classes are favorites of my children; and being part of a school that gives them such options is a priority. Based on the success of the Monte Cassino graduates before them, I know my children will be more than ready for high school when they graduate from MC.

Posted September 26, 2008

Monte cassino is a very helpful school which expands the child's creativity and knowledge this school is very very good

Posted May 6, 2008

Monte Cassino has an impressive academic background. I am a student attending Monte Cassino and I absolutely love this school. This is a great school that is influenced by kind nuns. The sisters are great with us. The middle school mass is fun because of the priest. He makes church fun to go to. We learn about moral decisions in sixth grade and the teachers are responsible and dedicated to their work. Unfortunately, I have had trouble with friends in the past and the homework can be stressful, but I have learned that there are many challenges in life and no matter how we handle them God will always be with us. Life is a test with hints of the future. I have learned that recieving a good education at Monte Cassino gives me a hint of a good future. Over all, I think this is a great school to attend.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 16, 2007

Good and Bad Monte Cassino offers a good academic background. One of the best in Tulsa. The teachers are for the most part very good. The administration has lost its vision. I sent my children to MC believing that they would gain spiritually and emotionally. They have learned some valuable religious traditions. They have not received a well balanced spiritual environment. Sadly, there has been consistent bullying amount the females. Nothing has been done about it. The pressure for contributions above tuition is daily and tiring. It is clear that the Administration favors and listens to those with lots of money to donate. I am glad that my children have received a good academic background here, however, I am saddened that it came at a price it did.

Posted April 12, 2007

Monte Cassino gets better every year! In addition to amazing, dedicated instructors and the loving guidance of the Benedictine community, MC is now working hard to involve the students in more Christian service projects and to make the school truly 'State of the Art' technologically! I can't understand it when I hear parents complain. In fact, the only thing I don't like about the school is a small but loud group of complainers in the community that just never seem happy, even at the best of all possible schools! They show up at sporting events and trash the school and it s teachers right in front of the kids--it's awful and they should be embarrassed. My youngest child is now finishing eighth grade at MC, and I love everything about this school it s values, curriculum, and faculty. Our family is grateful to God for this school every day and we will miss MC!

Posted February 14, 2007

My husband and I have been Monte Cassino parents for 8 years. Our three children began their early education in the ECLC and our oldest children are now middle-school students. We, personally, had no ties to Monte Cassino when our family moved here in 1999 and we chose this school solely on its merits. Monte Cassino academics are excellent. I have several nieces/nephews attending metro area public schools, and I can say, unequivocally, that my children are exposed to a broader, more advanced curriculum and are taught more effectively by better teachers. Monte Cassino standardized test scores speak for themselves. Our family quickly made dear friends and found it very easy to become involved in school leadership activities. The Benedictine Sisters, as owners and operators of the school, are lovingly and courageously leading our school into this new millennium. Monte Cassino students are blessed to receive such an outstanding education.

Posted February 13, 2007

Monte Cassino is an amazing school. It is wonderful and happy place to send my children to school. I know they will be safe when I drop them off. The education is outstanding, the teacher prepare lessons that are meaningful and challenging. The technology is better than any school in Tulsa. My children are learning how to use a tablet PC and it is the goal of the Board to put a laptop in the hands of all students! My kids love to go to school at Monte Cassino.

Posted February 13, 2007

Although everyone was saddened by last year's administrative upheaval, the school has recovered remarkably well. My middle schooler is still receiving a truly excellent education, is excited about the prize he won for good behavior under the new merit system, and has been exposed more to Christian values and service projects than ever before. The teachers at MC are terrific, and when it comes right down to it, the teachers make the school. I wouldn't consider anyplace else in town for my child--it's still the best school in Tulsa, and it's only getting better!

Posted February 2, 2007

This school has taken a complete nosedive since changing its administration near the end the last school year. Still some very fine teachers here, but there is a complete lack of leadership and a total indifference to communication. They tout their 'Schools Attuned' program for learning disabilities, but it is a joke. It is a complete dog-and-pony show. There is also a definite 'elitist' element there. A good example is the demerit system instituted this year for discipline. The enforcement is totally arbitrary. While one student will be given a demerit for a dress-code violation (shirt untucked, for example), certain students are merely reminded that they should tuck their shirts in. A once-fine school that has unfortunately deteriorated.

Posted January 16, 2007

I attend Monte Cassino and am 8th grade this year. I loved this school up until this year. Since our past principle and dean have left, the school has gone down hill. The academics are great, the teachers are amazing, but I would have to say this year has changed a lot. The sports are REALLY good and we have great athletes. Parent involvement is not an issue at this school... Right now I can't wait to get out of Monte Cassino and hope that it changes soon.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 11, 2006

My children have been enrolled at Monte Cassino for 6 years. I am comfortable saying they have received excellent academic instruction. We attended an open house at Bishop Kelley, recently. We were told that of all the Catholic schools in Tulsa-Monte students come into 9th grade better prepared to succeed than any other student from any other school. The downside is-money is a driving factor in relationships at the school. For a school that espouses Christian (Catholic) principles-there is an astonishing amount of greed and consumerism among the parents and children of this school

Posted July 12, 2006

I went to Monte Cassino all the way from pre-k through grade 8. I loved my time there. One of the most important things that MC offers is a home away from home. The class sizes are great; 86 students in my grade. This was just enough to become real close with each other without getting sick of one another in our last days there. The curriculum was tough but more than worth the hours I spent preparing to draw and label the world, writing essays for several contests, carefully piecing together an assemblage of our favorite artists, and of course studying for exams. Life at MC was a balance between hard work, dedication, extra curriculars, and fun. The oppurtunities that MC provides aren't offered in full anywhere else; trips, class events, and of course family.I have been thoroughly prepared for high school. MC grads have the one up in academics!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 22, 2006

This school is everything a true Catholic school should NOT be. The parents are sending the wrong message to their children. The discipline is poor, the community are elitists and socialites. I detested sending our child here. I have to say I liked our teacher but unfortunately the school is run by the mighty dollar. I do not even know how this school can consider themselves Catholic when it is so full of hateful people and GREED!

Posted May 30, 2006

The academic programs in the preschool and elementary school are outstanding. The preschool offers curriculum in religion, music, art, creative movement and spanish. My son has learned so much this year - especially in math and reading. Besides the traditional things taught in elementary school, MC also offers computers, spanish, religion, art, and music. The parental involvement at MC is incredible - so many parents help in the PTO as well as in the classroom. It is a great school!

Posted April 17, 2006

My daughter attended MC through the eighth grade. I think it is the best school in this city. The teachers and administration are second to none. The cost was a sacrifice for us, but I am so glad I did it.
—Submitted by a teacher

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 2%

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Blue Ribbon School
  • Oklahoma Quality Commitment Award
  • Integrated Thematic Instruction Model School (2006)

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

School start time
  • 8:00am
School end time
  • 3:00pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Sister Mary Clare Buthod, O.S.B.
  • Coed

Transportation options
  • None
  • Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Tulsa

Dress Code
  • Uniforms

Apply now

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Bishop Kelley